'02 Cougar Rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an '02 Cougar that rattles over bumps at low speed around the left rear tire. I looked underneath and found a bad sway bar end link. I replaced that thinking that that was the cause, but still have the rattle. Any opinions on what I should check next?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Ball Joints?? Inner or outoer Tie rod ends?

Neither of these in the back, it seems.

I'm thinking now that the noise may be in the strut.

Originally Posted By: ET16
I've got an '02 Cougar that rattles over bumps at low speed around the left rear tire. I looked underneath and found a bad sway bar end link. I replaced that thinking that that was the cause, but still have the rattle. Any opinions on what I should check next?

Thanks!
I know lots of "Cougars" that rattle.
whistle.gif

The exhaust should be checked.
Stuff in the trunk or the inner wheel well?
Did the sound change at all with the new end link?
It would almost have to.
Maybe the bar bushings or the other end is loose.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The exhaust should be checked.
Stuff in the trunk or the inner wheel well?
Did the sound change at all with the new end link?
It would almost have to.
Maybe the bar bushings or the other end is loose.

I bounced the exhaust up and down, and it seems fine. The trunk and spare are fine. It didn't change much with the end link; I did the other side for good measure. I'm wondering now about the strut bushing, but I'm not sure how to check it.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
There are swaybar bushings that sometimes wear out. They're closer to the center of the car. They can cause a rattle.

I looked at those, and they seemed okay. I bought the parts, though, and plan to change them next weekend.

So a mechanic took a look today and said he thought it was the strut. I'm looking at replacements now. I can get a Sach Advantage strut for about $65 and a KYB Excel-G or Monroe Sensa-trac for $70. Is one any better than the other? Also do I need mounts for these, or do you think that I can get away with using the old ones?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I think you should change the struts in pairs if not all four

Agreed. Any opinion of the brands Iisted?

Well... I was out of time and bought the Sach struts. I'll report back when they're in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back