'02 BMW 530i - 36,495mi on BMW 5w-30? Judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 645ci has needed only oil changes, air filters, and brakes since I purchased it new. It has spent less time in the shop than any of my Mustangs.

I've noticed that most people who complain about BMW quality either have no first hand knowledge or have severely neglected their vehicle. Just because someone has the means to afford a $75,000 car doesn't mean they have the intelligence to maintain it. Unfortunately in my experience this describes a large portion of BMW owners and is the reason I would be unlikely to consider purchasing a used BMW.

Originally Posted By: 10cent
My 2005 645ci has needed only oil changes, air filters, and brakes since I purchased it new.

You're an outlier.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
My 2005 645ci has needed only oil changes, air filters, and brakes since I purchased it new.

You're an outlier.
smile.gif

Perhaps you're right. I'll be taking delivery of a 640i sometime after the first of the year so we'll see if this one was just a fluke.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: cchase
Many people fall into this trap of thinking they can afford high end cars because their used value is within a budget.

Excellent point. Some people look at these cars from a one-time purchase cost perspective only which is typically only a fraction of the overall ownership cost.

I have owned 3, one was brand new and the SEAT BROKE! Almost wrecked the car. My restaurant owning buddy used to buy them until his latest one ate some AC part and could not be fixed for weeks.

I could go on at length, but I won't. But it really doesn't matter why, the simple facts are they have a colorful history that can be accessed by anyone who wants to know. They are wonderful cars with one of the nicest driving experiences on the planet, but they are problematic for many. And their overall cost of ownership is very high if you hold them long term.

tell us how the battery replacement went on your 5 or 6 series? about the part where you need a special tool to reset the computer to "properly" condition the new battery.

not to mention the battery itself is $150+

dont get me wrong, bmw's are amazing vehicles, but the only vintage i would touch is E39's or earlier.

Last edited:
dont get me wrong, bmw's are amazing vehicles, but the only vintage i would touch is E39's or earlier.
[/quote]

+1

My 2005 645ci has needed only oil changes, air filters, and brakes since I purchased it new. It has spent less time in the shop than any of my Mustangs.

'05 645ci with original battery? Not sure if serious.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
tell us how the battery replacement went on your 5 or 6 series? about the part where you need a special tool to reset the computer to "properly" condition the new battery.

not to mention the battery itself is $150+

The GOOD battery is $293. Requires programming with BMW proprietary equipment to properly retrofit from the standard to the good battery. Aftermarket software/programming options are a joke for these cars made by Fisher Price.

E36 or earlier. E39/E46 vehicles are very parts hungry. And it gets worse from there.

Originally Posted By: Seventh

Unless BMW replaced it when it was in for an oil change during the first few years and I didn't notice it on the ticket.

I'm not arguing with you. I am simply offering an opinion from someone who actually purchased a BMW new and has properly maintained it for over seven years.

Unless BMW replaced it when it was in for an oil change during the first few years and I didn't notice it on the ticket.

I'm not arguing with you. I am simply offering an opinion from someone who actually purchased a BMW new and has properly maintained it for over seven years.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just giving you a hard time. You may be holding the record as far as I'm aware. Or maybe you're one of the lucky few who got an AGM battery from the factory.

And keep in mind, I only see the broken ones. Nobody comes in to see me just to let me know how great their car is.

I don't know about the 5 or 6 series. Replacing the battery on a 3-series E46 is as simple as opening the trunk, opening the battery compartment and swapping it out like any other battery. (The car apparently doesn't know that you are not using special BMW dealer amps.)

Being in the trunk, I have a suspect that the battery is subjected to less environmental stress than being under the hood. The cables are never corroded. Perhaps they last longer in this situation? Oh, there I go again rambling on about that german engineering.......

Someone mentioned plastic intake manifolds. They are not a problem on these cars. At least I never hear of it. Just because Ford could not design one (probably a bad idea for a V8 configuration) doesn't mean that it can't work on a straight 6.

to the guys who replace their entire cooling system every 7 years and HOPE that we find problems when we work on their cars so they have something to talk about with their gearhead buddies.

lol.gif
sounds like me.

And it gets worse from there.

E90s are worse, really?

BTW - do you work for EDGE?

huh? I have a 2005 BMW 330Ci and it still has the original white BMW battery with a date of 4/2005.
Still going well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crw
I don't know about the 5 or 6 series. Replacing the battery on a 3-series E46 is as simple as opening the trunk, opening the battery compartment and swapping it out like any other battery. (The car apparently doesn't know that you are not using special BMW dealer amps.)

Being in the trunk, I have a suspect that the battery is subjected to less environmental stress than being under the hood. The cables are never corroded. Perhaps they last longer in this situation? Oh, there I go again rambling on about that german engineering.......

For those exact reasons + weight distribution is why it's back there.

Your E46 is what we call an i-Bus vehicle. The electrical system is the same as any other traditional vehicle for all intents and purposes. All communication, coding and programming data is transmitted through two wires between the limited number of modules.

Starting with E6x vehicles they went to what they call Most-bus. The electrical system is very "intelligent." They don't waste power running the alternator all the time, that's silly! They've got a module that tells the engine control unit that it wants juice, then the ECU asks the alternator for it. That sounds better, right?

The ground cable for instance, is a digital multi-meter. It reports (to a module) battery charge level, number of starts, trips, trip distance, key-off draw current WHILE it's parked, how long it's parked for, etc. So the system very much wants you to tell it when you've got a new battery, as well as the Ah rating and type (AGM or standard). And if you want to retrofit to the newer AGM batteries from a standard-type, you had better inform the modules!

The modules all communicate to input sensors via normal wires, but the modules communicate with each other via fiber optics. They can "talk" with each other at a much faster rate, making the car safer and more efficient. But you're left with eighty something (on some cars) control modules. They all need to be on the EXACT same program number (i-level) for the car to work properly, if you have a module missing or inop then no data for you. If all your modules work AND communicate properly then you can program the car to tell it that it now has the better battery in it, and it will take it easy on the alternator output requests. Important to do! As smart as the system sounds, it isn't smart enough to realize (of it's own accord) that it has a new battery, and the risk is that the system asks for the same alternator output as it did with your six year old battery. Seeing over-voltage faults stored throughout a vehicles control units is somewhat common to see in conjunction with a parts store house brand battery in somebody's trunk.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
to the guys who replace their entire cooling system every 7 years and HOPE that we find problems when we work on their cars so they have something to talk about with their gearhead buddies.

lol.gif
sounds like me.

And it gets worse from there.

E90s are worse, really?

BTW - do you work for EDGE?

The E90 for me is a bit disappointing. It lacks character, it looks like a Honda or any other car for that matter. The coupes look way better, but still somewhat bland to me. Don't get me started on the N52 series motors with their ALUMINUM head bolts that randomly break.

E9x vehicles are parts hungry as well. Did a PPI inspection on two today. The one with 30k miles looked fine, torn bushings, not much more. The one with 89k had already had a new water pump and thermostat, valve cover gaskets, new battery, starter and ignition coils plus drive belt tensioner and belt. Already had the transmission pan and sealing sleeve done as well as brakes and tires (I'm sure more than once). And it still had a leaking oil pan gasket and power steering hoses.

No I don't work for EDGE, but I drive past them on my way to work every day. I've always wanted to go say hi.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

huh? I have a 2005 BMW 330Ci and it still has the original white BMW battery with a date of 4/2005.
Still going well.

Read above, but I've seen batteries as old as eleven years still fire up an E46, albeit slowly. Much less demanding electrical system. Neat fact: BMW factory batteries are stamped with a date code on top of the negative terminal in the typical week/year production format. For instance, 0307 is Jan '07. Check it!

But seriously, if you were my customer I'd recommend replacing it. BMW battery for an E46 is $180-200 depending on the size and Ah rating, but a quality aftermarket battery would work fine in an E46. Just make sure to get a proper vent tube adapter kit if you go aftermarket.

Edit: I just saw that your car is a ZHP. That's cool!

A friend of mine has three BMWs of various ages and types, and a Mini. He also has the factory BMW laptop software for troubleshooting, which he purchased somehow and spent weeks making it work via various computer sorcery that I don't really understand. Apparently it is made to work on one type of laptop or something, and to make it work on a generic one requires downloading kludge software from sites that I think my ISP blocks...

Anyway, the other day he was showing me all the things he could do with the cars when the system is connected to the vehicle electronics. He can read all sorts of sensors and even make the windows go up and down. This struck me that like so many cars today, they are (IMHO) way over complicated. Really, when did we need software control over window position? I mean I know why it does, it can close the windows when it rains (which I'm sure requires some sort of rain sensor), but seriously?

When I have to buy a new car I don't even want a key fob. I don't want software controlled windows. I don't want a $2500 laser cruise control. One wonders if such a car is even available anymore.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
A friend of mine has three BMWs of various ages and types, and a Mini. He also has the factory BMW laptop software for troubleshooting, which he purchased somehow and spent weeks making it work via various computer sorcery that I don't really understand. Apparently it is made to work on one type of laptop or something, and to make it work on a generic one requires downloading kludge software from sites that I think my ISP blocks...

Anyway, the other day he was showing me all the things he could do with the cars when the system is connected to the vehicle electronics. He can read all sorts of sensors and even make the windows go up and down. This struck me that like so many cars today, they are (IMHO) way over complicated. Really, when did we need software control over window position? I mean I know why it does, it can close the windows when it rains (which I'm sure requires some sort of rain sensor), but seriously?

When I have to buy a new car I don't even want a key fob. I don't want software controlled windows. I don't want a $2500 laser cruise control. One wonders if such a car is even available anymore.

Ask him to do an active suspension calibration if his vehicle has it, THAT will make you think these things are too complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back