'01 Tundra LED install fiasco

In January I replaced our trusty Tundra's stock headlight bulbs with 9003 LEDs. I thought all was good, but I don't use the truck a lot, especially at night.
Anyways, the brights seemed to be the lows because there was virtually no road illumination, only distance.
Well, I didnt know the bulb was 2 piece; you separate the 3 tab disk, install it with the spring retainer clip and then install LED with a short turn.
So now it's better. But no fog lights and no dash bright indicator. Oops.
So Google instructs me to install a load resistor on the passenger side bulb.
Motorcycle Load Resistor

Easy peasey. Now all's good. The fogs and dash indicator are back. I think the lights are working better.
I will check tonight.
Sometimes I have the bad habit of fixing things to my own detriment. Oops.
Oh yeah, don't waste your time if you don't polish and restore your headlight plastic...

The system didn't see the expected load and went into limp mode. The resistor restored the correct load.
Thanks Danno. I am not familiar with limp mode that only affected headlights, fog lights and dash brights indicator.
Do you have any suggested links where I might read up on this?

Again, thanks. The headlight system seems to be working correctly now.

In January I replaced our trusty Tundra's stock headlight bulbs with 9003 LEDs. I thought all was good, but I don't use the truck a lot, especially at night.
Anyways, the brights seemed to be the lows because there was virtually no road illumination, only distance.
Well, I didnt know the bulb was 2 piece; you separate the 3 tab disk, install it with the spring retainer clip and then install LED with a short turn.
So now it's better. But no fog lights and no dash bright indicator. Oops.
So Google instructs me to install a load resistor on the passenger side bulb.
Motorcycle Load Resistor

Easy peasey. Now all's good. The fogs and dash indicator are back. I think the lights are working better.
I will check tonight.
Sometimes I have the bad habit of fixing things to my own detriment. Oops.
Oh yeah, don't waste your time if you don't polish and restore your headlight plastic...
$100-$150 for new headlight assembly pairs that include blinker section …

Thanks Danno. I am not familiar with limp mode that only affected headlights, fog lights and dash brights indicator.
Do you have any suggested links where I might read up on this?

Again, thanks. The headlight system seems to be working correctly now.
It was a common issue when LEDs are retrofitted. Went through the issue with up fitting trucks and using LEDs on the up fit. The lighting system works at a reduced or a not to spec capacity, which I called "limp" mode. Rapid blinking of LED tail lights was something I encountered. Installing proper resistors is a solution, as you discovered.

It was a common issue when LEDs are retrofitted. Went through the issue with up fitting trucks and using LEDs on the up fit. The lighting system works at a reduced or a not to spec capacity, which I called "limp" mode. Rapid blinking of LED tail lights was something I encountered. Installing proper resistors is a solution, as you discovered.
Apprecaite your comments. I understand pretty much squat about electricity...

Back