'01 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
While driving over to visit my brother-in-law, I spotted a Toyota Corolla for sale(private owner) so, I pulled over to inspect it(folks weren't home). What caught my eye first was the great condition of the car. I wasn't looking for a car but I had to look! The "For Sale" sign on the car says:

2001 Corolla CE
76,500 miles
One Owner
$4800.00

I looked inside the windows and the interior is cleeeeean! The whole car is cleeeeean! Decent tread on the tires(all 4 match). Shiny paint, even seems, no noticeable discollered paint or overspray. A few mild scratches and small faint dings. I think that I want to possibly buy this car so I took down the phone # and left a message. Spoke to the folks later Saturday evening and all seem OK! Supposed to test drive later today(Sunday)...So, I looked up an 01 Corolla CE w/ an auto tranny and it shows that the tranny is a 3 speed auto(no O/D). The car has roll up windows and lock your own doors although, it does have A/C. The price seems close but, I still want to pay less. I want an automatic tranny but a 3 speed? Gotta kill the MPG wouldn't ya think? I know that these cars are very reliable and I've had them in the past(boaring/cheap feeling) but, good cars.
My questions to anyone is... Has anyone here owned this generation Corolla? And what about the 3 speed auto? How is the A/C? I'll be asking the owner more questions today. Any information that you folks here at BITOG can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks
CB

I find out more this afternoon! If this car run as good as it looks, I may just have to buy it after some price negotiation.
Even inside the wheel wells looks great. No paint bubbles/blisters. I've painted cars and have been detailing for over 35 years and I don't see anything that say that the car has been painted. As far as the mechanical stuff, I'll see more today! I know what to look for here too! It's the 3 speed auto that bothers me most.

I think the engine has a timing chain(I hope so!). Does anyone know for sure?
What about oil burning? I've heard that some of these Corolla's can be oil burners. These folks say that they have all records including a tranny flush in Mar'08.

The deal breaker for me would be the 3-speed auto transmission. I was looking for a Corolla in 2003 and could not find one with a 4-speed auto transmission in my price range. If you are just going around town, it will be fine. Highway trips at 70 would be my concern.

I have heard of problems with pinging around that year. They had problems with oil consumption with that generation Corolla. Not sure if they fixed it by 2001. Here is a nice reference I came across:

http://www.corolland.com/repairs.html

“Most likely you have the stuck piston ring problem, which happens in some 1998-02 Corollas...

This quote is from the Corolland reference above so I would ask how much oil it uses.

I also checked carcomplaints.com and the 2000, 2001 and 2002 Corollas all had many complaints about 'excessive oil usage'. It seems they had the problem under control by 2003.

used to be a rep that came to work once a month with the exact same car, which was his, company paid all expenses, If i remember right he told me he was making money off the company buy using his own car, money they were allowing covered gas payment, insurance, maintenace, etc. I used to ask him about the car all the time, he never once complained about fuel mileage or high engine revs or noise on the highway. when he got rid of it there was over 300000 on the car i think major parts that he told me he had changed where cv joints starter and alternator never any engine or trans problems.

even if it burns oil, the engine will last along time. Timing chain a huge plus! I have a 3 speed auto in my 96 sunfire, it's not a fast car, but it's a Point A to Point B type of car

Last edited:
check tailpipe for soot and anti-freeze . Run finger inside tailpipe to check for soot ( oil burning ) . Have someone start car while you're standing in rear of car looking for smoke or anti-freeze from tailpipe . Bring a flashlight and then remove the oil cap and shine into opening of valve cover to see how clean the valvetrain is . May want to walk if excessive varnish or sludging . GOOD LUCK .

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I find out more this afternoon! If this car run as good as it looks, I may just have to buy it after some price negotiation.
Even inside the wheel wells looks great. No paint bubbles/blisters. I've painted cars and have been detailing for over 35 years and I don't see anything that say that the car has been painted. As far as the mechanical stuff, I'll see more today! I know what to look for here too! It's the 3 speed auto that bothers me most.

I coulda sworn they've come with four-speed autos for the longest time...

nope , first few years the 4 speed auto was an option . We had a 3 speed auto PRIZM ( Corolla ) and the mileage was in the low 30s . Engine noise pronounced , but tolerable on the interstate . If a 4 speed , you'll find a a push in button on the left side of shifting lever .

Last edited:
Just finished our test drive( 1 hr) and the car is fine. Not a life altering experience but, fine just the same. Took the car over broken pavement as well as a long hiwy cruise. Under the hood and chassis are perfect...No rust at all. No signs of collision or any body repairs. I took it to my house and drove it up on ramps to get a closer look the under carrage, suspension, CVJoints, boots and exhaust system. The A/C blows nice & cold and the engine tempurature holds nice and steady where it belongs and the engine sounds normal like a Toyota(another good thing).
The original owners(owned it 4 yrs) gave it to their daughter for another 4 yrs of collage at Kent State(Ohio) and now she is selling it because she now has a newer Toyota Camry. The 01 Corolla looks like it never saw winters. The father has all maintenance records and you can see that it is well maintained. Tune-ups, brakes, fluids, tires, etc. Not loud on the hiwy at all. Makes OK power(nothing spectacular). A little shimmy on the highway at around or above 70-75. I blame the Signa tires, 185-65-14. He said that they were balanced and there was an alignment. I think it's the Signas. Everything else seem to be too tight and well maintained to be anything other than tires. No pulsing from the brake rotors even after they got good and HOT!
I was actually starting to look at more expensive/nicer cars for my daughter but now Im having 2nd thoughts

sounds like a winner
thumbsup2.gif
. Wonder if could get it for $4,500 or a bit lower , but not to pee them off and kill the deal . Look in trunk and lift the cover to the spare tire to look for any water . Some early year COROLLAs and PRIZMs ( '98 > 2002 ) had a leak(s) around the tail light(s) . GOOD LUCK .

Last edited:
CHAR,
I have this car in the LE version. Timing chain, not a belt, super easy to work on and should easily make 200,00 miles. If you pass on this it may be a while b/4 you get a crack at another as they usually are kept 'till the wheels fall off due to the fact that nothing ever goes wrong. I wouldn't sweat the 3 spd tranny too much as it really only affects highway MPG by about 6%. Check craigslist in your area for REAL WORLD pricing. As far as vehicles go I would rate this choice as about as efficient as you can get as far as cost per mile. Google Edmunds 2001 Corolla reviews for owner headaches & experiences. I can recommend rigging up an extra muffler hanger at right rear corner as this is a weak spot on these cars. Pure transportation, low fun factor and can be flogged mercilessly w/o worry. GOOD LUCK!

Hi Char baby,

I actually own a 00' Corolla that has the 3 speed. Surprisingly, the mileage is still great. I average about 28-32mpg.

Yes, the car does have a chain. As others have said, this generation is prone to oil burning but it's no biggie, they are great cars.

Mine has 155K miles on it. Besides regular fluid changes, filters, belts, and tires, the car has been mostly trouble free(knock on wood). The cat and o2 sensors, maf meter, and shocks are the only things replaced.

Mine does ping which is annoying and I can't seem to solve it, but it's been running fine that way for a couple of years and now I run 89 octane. It helps bigtime, but that issue is not as common as oil burning.

Thanks everyone.
The car is great but, I don't really need another car for me and my daughter isn't 100% sold on the lack of comfort due to or lack of some features such as: no tilt steering wheel(the wheel is placed uncomfortably high)and the outside mirrors have no joy stick adjustments(they actually have to be moved by hand after opening the crank windows) and the fact that you have to lock/unlock all 4 doors(no power locks). She is looking at it from a womens point of view and Im looking at it from a mans point of view. Although these Corollas can be great "run for ever cars", $4800.00 seem like alot of money for a no option almost 9 year old car.

We called last night(Mon) and offered $4500.00 and they wouldn't take it! They want the full $4800.00. I sorry but, we can't justify that kind of money for a stripped down car. There are better deals out there. I came across this Corolla by chance, now Im going to seriously start looking! Maybe a Honda or Toyota or maybe a Hyundai. Could be something that WE aren't even expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back