'01 Civic ac compressor clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if I can just replace the clutch on my a/c compressor? Actually, it's not the whole assembly, just the end. What looks to of happned, is the nut holding the end on, just backed off, and the end fell off. The stud from the compressor is fine, it spins just fine, and actually the nut holding it on was just laying on a plastic underbody cover.

Here's a pic.

14S5P0_B57.gif

I just want to replace the part between #3 and #6 .

Last edited:
If the system is OK pressure wise, This is an easy job. Clean the face of any shipping oil or protectant.
If you need a compressor seal, now is the time to dive in, of course.

Well, the end plate was all that came off. But it turns out, it messed up the splines on the shaft, so it needed a new compressor.

New one is around $375, but one from a salvage yard was $100. So against my better judgement, I went with the used one. Got it on, and then paid $90 for a shop to recover/charge and oil the new system. To find out the used comp. growls like an sob. It works, but it's loud. Now, I'm offically not using any wear parts from a junkyard ever again.

Originally Posted By: JakeR22
Well, the end plate was all that came off. But it turns out, it messed up the splines on the shaft, so it needed a new compressor.

New one is around $375, but one from a salvage yard was $100. So against my better judgement, I went with the used one. Got it on, and then paid $90 for a shop to recover/charge and oil the new system. To find out the used comp. growls like an sob. It works, but it's loud. Now, I'm offically not using any wear parts from a junkyard ever again.

Good luck on a junk yard A/C compressor for I never have any luck with that.

Would rather pay a few bux more just to get a fresh new one (that way, I can be certain that no corrosion, contamination, debris, metal shavings, etc. within that can wreck the rest of the A/C system after the install, which warrants long and reliable service life) instead.

Q.

POS already locked up on me!

Took a gamble with being cheap, and lost. NEVER AGAIN! Buy new parts the first time!

Now what do I need to replace if that pos put junk in my system? When I look at new comps. online, it states to replace the condensor. That's another $200.

Last edited:
You need to do this (and any competent A/C shop shall be able to perform this):

-let the air into the system
-get them to solvent flush/reverse flush all the components incl. condenser, evaporator, lines, etc. to rid of all the [censored] you have intentionally/unintentionally introduced. Blow dry (not with your mouth but filtered, dried compressed air) the innards.
-replace the compressor with a new unit, making sure that the o-rings, compressor oil, etc. are done right (the shop shall be able to perform this w/o any 2nd thoughts)
-replace the A/C dryer unit with a brand-new one.
-check/replace/service all O-rings with new ones (if deemed necessary)
-evacuate the system with vacuum pump for 1hr.
-check and fill with R134a.
-check pressure on high/low side and then test drive.

Good luck. Last that I checked, RockAuto has brand new compressor for the job for about 340USD+shipping.

q.

I'm finding remanufactured ones on ebay for around $150, with drier, oil and o rings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-02-H...sQ5fAccessories

Or new ones on ebay for around $250.

Rock auto has condensors for around $80.

The car must just have an expansion valve, because I can't fine an orifice tube. Those are around $20.

My manual doesn't state where the expansion valve is located. Where are they usually?

Last edited:
normally they are located on the evaporator, which should be near the heater core.

Mechtech2---- replacing the expansion valve, is that because of possible particles from the compressor ?

Yes, replacing expansion valve is a must, due to dirt/debris/particles introduced by a "dirty" compressor, or a compressor that has disintegrated within during service life.

Q.

I can't fine the expansion valve. I don't see it under the hood, so it must be burried in the dash somewhere. It's not visible as is, so I guess things need to be removed.

This something I really like about Honda. You can access online the same parts diagrams the parts guy at the dealership has, FOC.

Majestic has them but uses different parts numbers, but has best prices usually. hondapartscheap.com, AKA South Bay Honda uses the actual parts numbers on their diagrams.

It has helped me more than once to find parts locally on the phone, compare prices, and shop the best price, The closest dealer will match but is usually much higher. Nice to have the actual parts number at your fingertips. I've saved money and time when working on mine and daughter's Honda.

Nothing like this for Altima.
21.gif

Sorry for the off topic, but the diagram just made me think of it. Hope you get things fixed Jake.

BTW, daughter's Civic is same year, EX coupe.

Last edited:
Is it listed there? I don't see it.

I believe it's under the dash, that diagram is under the hood stuff.

Thanks

Good job finding it, good luck getting to it. If it were me, I might just try to fix the clutch and see what happens. It's your call though. How many miles you got on it?

Diagrams are nice to have as reference.

Let us(me) know how it turns out.

J

A few post back, I updated my situation stating it was no longer the clutch, a replacement compressor locked up. So I want to make sure there's no debris in the system.

The car has 190k miles on it.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just went and looked for it. It's no where in sight. It looks like the whole blower motor assembly needs to come out to get access to it.

I'd hate to know how much it'd cost to replace.

It might have to stay.

Ok, I got the new comp on, but I can't get it to kick on.

So I checked the fuses that go to the relay, they're both ok. I took the horn relay, which is the same as the comp. relay, and swapped them, it still doesn't kick on.

I found some trouble shooting online. I made a wire connector, and connected no. 1 and no. 2 on the relay supply, and it kicks the comp. on .

Any ideas on what else to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back