01 4Runner, ~160K Valve Covers

02404595-9B57-4CC2-9303-B0A940870330.jpeg

Neighbor’s 01 4Runner with around 160K. He supposedly changes the oil every 3K. I have seen cases of Chevron Supreme in his garage.

The valve covers and half moons have probably been leaking for a decade. Let’s just say the undercarriage of the car does not need any rustproofing. ;)

I am curious if synthetic oil would have helped the gaskets last longer. 🤔

Just gently snugging down those VC bolts, likely would have stopped any seepage.

Torque spec is 4.416 ft-lbs or 53 in lbs, IIRC.
Maybe. The bolts were not even finger tight due to gasket shrinkage.

But the gaskets were also rock hard.

That's very common on the 5VZ-FE. Just gently snugging them down often stops the seepage.
Are you suggesting that it is only necessary to replace the gaskets when the leak can no longer be resolved by tightening up the bolts?

Are you suggesting that it is only necessary to replace the gaskets when the leak can no longer be resolved by tightening up the bolts?
I'm saying I've seen a bunch of those 5VZ-FE's, owned one for 22 years, and have several of my friends and former colleagues still in the business. Yes, the VC bolts become loose over time, seepage starts, and more often than not just gently snugging the VC bolts down solves the problem.

Are there exceptions to that? Of course.

What a baby with only 160k. I miss my 250K 2004 Tacoma with that V6. I had to do the VC gaskets too, they just get old and wear out. Its an easy enough job.

Looks great! I wish they were still using that style gear drive between camshafts. Anyone know why they went to a chain drive (between cams) on the 4cyl?

I wouldn't venture a guess about synthetic oil helping the gaskets or not, but I will say Chevron Supreme [if that's what he used] and 3K OCIs did a fine job keeping things clean.

Yes, but it is 20 years old. Everything is old and crunchy.

That was a distinction I should have made. Usually the VC bolts are a bit loose by 10 years of age. If they weren't gently snugged down then, and have been seeping for 10+ years, just snugging them down now, isn't as likely to work. In that case replacement of the gaskets is the correct course of action. But I'm sure I'm not saying anything you don't already know.

Back