How your Orange Can of Death is made

Status
Not open for further replies.
you would think Fram would want to show the Extended Guard's being made, so people would see that they have at least one good filter.

My friends van oil Psi Guage was going crazy. At idle he would not have any oil Psi and at highway speed it would read 12psi. He had a OCOD on it and I told him to put the factory Motorcraft on and now he has absolutely no oil Psi problems now. I wonder why the filter was causing the problem? No more Frame for him.

Originally Posted By: stuntboy79
My friends van oil Psi Guage was going crazy. At idle he would not have any oil Psi and at highway speed it would read 12psi. He had a OCOD on it and I told him to put the factory Motorcraft on and now he has absolutely no oil Psi problems now. I wonder why the filter was causing the problem? No more Frame for him.

Why didn't he just cut it open to see what was going on inside. I bet it was clogged and the by-pass valve didn't open.

fram is actually pretty darn proud of their cardboard endcaps and design of the OCOD.

they love the filter so much, they have it featured on their framchallenge. AND that show How it's made did a clip on how oil filters are made, they showed a fram, they showed each step up to the painting.
I knew what it was immediately when I saw the cardboard..

fram's either arrogant or ignorant.

Originally Posted By: EricF

They almost have to be arrogant because if they hid the cardboard end caps folks would jump on the fact even more.

You know throw it in your face, most people think if something is right out in front of them it can't be "bad" right???
33.gif

Originally Posted By: urchin

They almost have to be arrogant because if they hid the cardboard end caps folks would jump on the fact even more.

You know throw it in your face, most people think if something is right out in front of them it can't be "bad" right???
33.gif

I've never heard anyone put forth a rational explanation as to why cardboard end caps are "bad". It's certainly easier to get a secure bond using similar materials, and honestly the end caps really don't do a whole lot anyway?

I don't understand the irrational fear of cardboard end caps. Obviously, some major OEM's aren't afraid of them since they're spec'ing them.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: urchin

33.gif

I've never heard anyone put forth a rational explanation as to why cardboard end caps are "bad". It's certainly easier to get a secure bond using similar materials, and honestly the end caps really don't do a whole lot anyway?

I don't understand the irrational fear of cardboard end caps. Obviously, some major OEM's aren't afraid of them since they're spec'ing them.

I can give you a very good reason:
Oil will soak thru it over time.

I wouldn't call it "cardboard" necessarily-it's more like an engineered fiber-but it still is a weak way of sealing the media ends over metal. Cool video, though, I bet all that Rube Goldberg-ian machinery keeps those factory maintenance guys hopping!

Originally Posted By: chrisf8657

I can give you a very good reason:
Oil will soak thru it over time.

??

Yeah, filtered oil! How is that a bad thing? Sorry, that's not a valid reason.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Cool video, though, I bet all that Rube Goldberg-ian machinery keeps those factory maintenance guys hopping!

I thought the exact same thing!

Originally Posted By: JOD
urchin said:

Fram1.jpg

This filter had 2,800 miles on it. Need I say more?

This is how you build an oil filter, with metal end caps.

0015-1.jpg

0011.jpg

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast

This filter had 2,800 miles on it. Need I say more?

Um, yeah....

what's wrong with the end caps???? Certainly nothing that I can see in the photo? Sure, the media is wavy (and very sparse), but what does that have to do with the end caps? (hint: nothing).

This is also how you make an oil filter:

2ujs2tz.jpg

5ufqde.jpg

103uali.jpg

There are plenty of photos out there of filters with metal end caps and sparse, used-up, widely-spaced media, just like your Fram photo. So, besides making people feel better, what is the purported advantage of metal end caps?

JOD, this thread is about Fram filters with paper based end caps. You did not post pictures of a Fram filter.

How can you compare the used media of the Motorcraft above versus the Fram picture I posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back