Wolf's Head semi synthetic 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local NAPA parts carries this stuff, and lots of it. SN rated.
I googled it but can't find anything on a semi synthetic from WH. Is it a safe assumption that this is the Amalie semi synthetic re-badged under their WH name?

They are selling this at $2.50 qt, so same price as dino Supertech at WM.

Anyone know much about it? Would you agree this is a safe choice for my Corolla at 5k oci when the free maintenance runs out soon?

I'd check the PQIA site and see if they've tested any Wolf's Head stuff before I bought it. Sounds shady. I'd stick with the majors.

Wolf's head I believe is made by Amalie Oil Co out of Florida.Their own Amalie is semi synthetic now and their "store brand" Parts Plus is semi synthetic as well,to meet the SN standard.

It seems like false economy to switch away from the spec' Toyota 0W-20 to run a cheap inferior lubricant. When you factor in the reduction in fuel economy, cold start performance and possible increased wear, where's the logic in running a different engine lube?

I thought about what you said. The difference in oil price is $27.50 every oil change. Toyota was clear that mine is spec'd for 5k oci to maintain warranty.
So I would need about a 7% increase in fuel economy to offset the oil price difference. Both are SN approved oils (substitute ST 5w20 if the WH brand is the issue). I just don't see getting more than .5-1% increase at best, so the economics just don't work out. I keep these cars for 3 years or so, so there is no benefit on decreased wear or cold start wear. I don't think me or the next 3 owners will benefit from that. Maybe the guy holding it at 200k miles would have wished it saw the Toyota oil it's whole life...

Knowing the rest of the details, would you not agree that a cheap, SN approved oil suits me better?

Caterham - I would not challenge your oil knowledge as it is more expansive than mine, just presenting my details to see if in this case you might think differently.

Note- even Toyota doesn't use their oil for the free maintenance, so currently it gets Castrol syn blend from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I'd check the PQIA site and see if they've tested any Wolf's Head stuff before I bought it. Sounds shady. I'd stick with the majors.

Wolf's Head is pretty well known.

That's interesting that your dealer is not using the TGMO as it's been available in bulk to dealers for quite a while now.

I'm not sure where the $27.50 per oil change comes from. That's about the average cost of 4 quarts of the oil a lone although it can be had for as low as 5 bucks/qt if your negotiation skills are good with a responsive dealer and even less if they get their TGMO in bulk.

Both dealers by me won't budge from $7.99 a quart. That is how I arrived at my economics. If I could get it for $5 / quart I would heed your advice and use it.

Fair enough, and I don't want to belabor the point. Just as a point of interest the retail price Canada wide for the US made TGMO 0W-20 is 5 bucks per litre and it can be acquired for less in a volume purchase. It's one of the few motor oil deals we get (a long with the US made Idemitsu Honda/Acura 0W-20) on US made oils. By comparison M1 0W-20 is $11.79/L.

Regarding the Wolf's Head 5W-20. The company's mean around for a long time so I'm sure the oil is fine.

We've had VOA's/UOA's on here of WH oils, and they are stout - lots of additives compared to some oils. They have a long history, being one of the original 'Pennsylvania crude' made oils, like PZ and Kendall.

Wolf's Head oil has been around a long, long time. I remember it in the 50's. In fact in the 50's I believe it was one of the premier oils. It still should be an acceptable oil.

I emailed them and here is some of the data they sent:

The 5W-20 you have inquired about is SN/GF-5. All SN/GF-5 oils meet very similar requirements dictated by API.Typical values are: HT/HS – 2.9; Noack – 14.8; TBN – 7.0; VI - 140. To meet these specs oil can be formulated in mineral oil, synthetic oil, or a combination of both mineral and synthetic.We utilize some synthetic in our Super Duty 5W oils as value added for our customers.
This high quality oil has been specifically formulated to meet or exceed all new car manufacturers' warranty requirements
as well as the stringent industry standards API SN/CF - ILSAC GF-5 and meets most European ACEA specifications. These oils are also formulated to exceed the standard for the Thermal Engine Oil Stability Test (TEOST MHT) and the Ford M2C 930-A, which supersedes M2C153-H requirements.

Flash point 200 C, VI 140, pour point -42

So not PU by any means, but seems ok for $2.50/qt???

Perfectly 'average' 5W-20...however, any modern 5W-20 is going to be a good oil, so for less that $3/quart, it is a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back