What’s the new ‘top filter?’

What’s the consensus? Doing a lot of reading. What’s the new ‘best filter’ for 7.5-10k intervals?

What’s the consensus? Doing a lot of reading. What’s the new ‘best filter’ for 7.5-10k intervals?
Why would you consider 7.5-10k intervals on a little 2.0 turbo in a heavy Acadia SUV? Even the best filter won't compensate for worn out, contaminated and depleted oil by that point. I can imagine the posts at 80 or 100k saying, my engine is now using a quart every 1000 miles, or I'm getting timing chain codes and the shop says the timing chains are wore out and need to be replaced.

Depends on the application, make, model etc...

If your vehicle oil filter base mount thread is sized at 3/4-16 UNF (Toyota & some Ford) and available mounting clearance, you're lucky with fairly lots of options. I'll post my rankings of what I feel is top to the line to average and mediocre.

FRAM Titanium/Ultra ( affectionately aka OG Ultra here ) , FS4967, FS3614, FS3600, FS8A (old stock with pink synthetic media) Which has been proven here to be top of the line per Ascent's Filtration Testing.

Donaldson P551132, a high efficiency 17 micron lube filter (Currently running/vetting on my Daily Driver)

FRAM Endurance, probably the best you can get from FRAM currently, which are identical to Amsoil & Royal Purple rated at 20 microns.

Fleetguard LF16011, another high efficiency option using StrataPore media rated at 30 microns but expensive to obtain.

Premium Guard, MicroGard Select, STP Extended Life, Carquest Premium (all of the same from China/Vietnam) A resin based blend media filter that is getting popular here. Wide local retail availability can be found for 10 dollars or less. Rated at 25 microns.

Supertech MP, rip, they've gone extinct just like the OG Ultra Frams. Just get an AC Delco at this point. Its the same filter more or less.

Purlator Boss, if you care more about looks and durability over filtration performance is also an option but I personally wouldn't run it as an extended drain filter due to official spec sheets says otherwise. Rated at 46 microns.

Mobil1, overpriced celluose blend 30 micron filter with some quality issues on media durability, absolute meme product.

Wix XP, its been recently cheapened but also overpriced. Just get the Boss instead if no other options available. Wix doesn't publish efficiency ratings.

Although my car is originally spec'd for a very small sized filter, it can mount larger ones which I personally favor for extra capacity, potential higher efficiency from increased surface area, and service headroom. Your milage may vary.

Man how easily some are duped by the Premium guard verbiage. Some of their filters are so good that they filter even particles down to 25 microns. But when you look deeper, they are rated 99% at 46 microns. But hey, they look so good when you cut them open, straight and even pleats.
I'd rather use a filter that doesn't look that great after use but has true efficiency of 99% at 20 microns. And in the process keep a fellow American employed. But that is just me.

Man how easily some are duped by the Premium guard verbiage. Some of their filters are so good that they filter even particles down to 25 microns. But when you look deeper, they are rated 99% at 46 microns. But hey, they look so good when you cut them open, straight and even pleats.
I'd rather use a filter that doesn't look that great after use but has true efficiency of 99% at 20 microns. And in the process keep a fellow American employed. But that is just me.

IMG_7037.jpeg

• Synthetic blend media provides 99.5% efficiency at 20 microns and 2X capacity vs. Standard filters

Hmm

If you re-read my post I said 'some' premium guard filters. Look at the one below: 99% efficiency and it filters particles as low as 25 microns. When in reality it is 42 to 60 microns.

I'm aware of what advance auto website says about the CarQuest filters, but I'm a bit skeptical. No ISO, website not updated frequently.

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

If you re-read my post I said 'some' premium guard filters. Look at the one below: 99% efficiency and it filters particles as low as 25 microns. When in reality it is 42 to 60 microns.

I'm aware of what advance auto website says about the CarQuest filters, but I'm a bit skeptical. No ISO, website not updated frequently.

View attachment 219780

View attachment 219781
You said “some down to 25 microns” but we have literature that says down to 20 microns at a specific percentage. Thats what most people are having issue with.

View attachment 219780

View attachment 219781

You are correct in your observations but almost certainly this is a website error. Even a full paper cellulose filter will commonly filter 80% at 20 microns, and the XL PG filters are advertised and verified to be synthetic blends.

Back