what Magnet for oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
i actually use some hard drive magnets on my oil filter. i have 2 but they got stuck together as one and i couldnt pry them apart so i just left them as they were and threw them in my oil filters general direction.

Good lord, seriously, pwned by a magnet?
Those things are fierce just one at a time. I'd never question a man if his sense of self-preservation prevents him from trying to wrangle with two. Blood blisters are no fun.
crazy2.gif

I'm waiting for someone to wrap a coil around the filter and power it up throw a relay tied to the ignition switch. How much more cool can you get than that? It will semi-permanently magnetize the can ..so it should hold stuff in place ...maybe. I think the heat would prevent you from just magnetizing the can before putting it on.

Originally Posted By: cool_breeze
Interesting..i bought a whole mess of neodymium magnets a year ago for a project that never happened but now I can use them! Gonna drop the atf pan soon so ill stick a few there, any particular spot on the oil filter better?

Im gonna put them everywhere!!!

The old Chrysler 727 transmissions (and probably others) had a ring magnet in the pan as part of the factory assembly. Not sure if any other MFRs did that. I know GMs of the same years didn't seem to.

I just won on Ebay one of the powerful ones, the HP300 with 250 lbs of pull force with a nice low bid of about $15

I have a 1x1 inch' square N42 on the end of my oil filter now, so i wanna get the filtermag on there and see what it pulls out in my aging iron engine.

Originally Posted By: oblivion

The old Chrysler 727 transmissions (and probably others) had a ring magnet in the pan as part of the factory assembly. Not sure if any other MFRs did that. I know GMs of the same years didn't seem to.

I have an A 500 which is basically a 727 with an overdrive unit tacked on the end. It does have a donut magnet. The thing is pathetically weak. I removed it and put a couple rare earth magnets in it's place.

I have not had to change the filter, and have not removed the pan. But I did add a drain plug just to drop and replace 4.5 quarts of ATF +4.

I hadn't thought about putting the magnets on the fuel filter. They'll be there tomorrow!

I bet it lives up to all those claims that say adding magnets to the fuel lines perfectly aligns the fuel molecules and increases mileage and power while reducing emissions.

Where's that eye roll sarcasm emoticon when you need one?

Just dropped the trans pan on my 2007 Dodge Nitro, and it had the donut magnet. Seems fairly strong to me, and it was covered in fuzz. This has a NAG1 / W5A580 transmission.

I wonder if a strong Magnet can interfere with the Filters pressure relief valve? I just pulled a hard drive Magnet to place on my oil filter. Just something to think about.

Originally Posted By: zmelli
I wonder if a strong Magnet can interfere with the Filters pressure relief valve? I just pulled a hard drive Magnet to place on my oil filter. Just something to think about.

If you are worried about that, just put the magnet on the side of the can instead of on the end of the can.

I have a bunch of rare earth neodyium magnets sorted around my filter. Work fantastic. And are next to impossible to remove. When they collide together better not have fingers in the way. They hurt fierce.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: zmelli

If you are worried about that, just put the magnet on the side of the can instead of on the end of the can.

Thanks, This magnet I harvested from a 1994 Hard Drive is super strong! I think it can hold up a small child!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back