What are you working on today?

Very productive today.. tomorrow I’ll rest! Copper Batteries and cans to recycler, dropped off 5 gallons of oil at OReillys, went to the bank, supervised the boys mowing and trimming the yard, planted the first rose in the fence row, changed out the two front brake hoses on the RV. I need more days like this one.

As it's gotta be a 3V or a 6.4, I'm surprised there's still an '08 F350 on the road ;)

Seriously though, you have to pull the dash, no? How bad is that job?
Pays about 10 hours. I had the dash out HVAC box out and back in in about 2.5 hours. Took me an hour to re wire all the emergency lights, siren and radios on top of that. Plus an hour to vacuum and recharge.

It’s a 5.4 3V. Can’t get out of its own way but it’s been very reliable. Only repairs have been a timing set. Numerous sets of plugs. Has about 135k miles with about 14,000 hours. Original engine and trans. No rust at all really, been garage kept.

I’d post pictures but this software on this forum doesn’t like my new iPhone and how it takes pictures

Last edited:
Pays about 10 hours. I had the dash out HVAC box out and back in in about 2.5 hours. Took me an hour to re wire all the emergency lights, siren and radios on top of that. Plus an hour to vacuum and recharge.

It’s a 5.4 3V. Can’t get out of its own way but it’s been very reliable. Only repairs have been a timing set. Numerous sets of plugs. Has about 135k miles with about 14,000 hours. Original engine and trans. No rust at all really, been garage kept.

I’d post pictures but this software on this forum doesn’t like my new iPhone and how it takes pictures
Wow! That's an average speed of less than ten miles per hour? That's a ton of idling.

Yet another vehicle that makes me wonder "why do I pick up the phone" 🙄
Coworkers kid was given this '07 Sentra 2.0S (83k miles)
2.0 MR20DE with a RE0F10A Xtronic CVT
I was deputized with getting it through NJ Smog inspection, plus general fixing and making it roadworthy
1000011449.jpg

It was laid up in a driveway in PA for a few years, so someone threw a battery in it, topped off the oil and said good luck kid 🫡

It comes to me loud, smelly, and with many dash emojis 😳
There may have been a rodent problem, the blower motor sounds like a 747, and the factory cabin filter was clogged solid 🤮
And underhood insulation was chewed
It's gonna need a blower motor and thorough HVAC cleaning 😷
When it first came to me, it was running lean and stalling
It had lean codes, engine speed codes, and CVT low pressure codes 😮
1000011460.jpg

1000011448.jpg

That'll do it...
1000011447.jpg

Nest in the air filter housing?
You bet 👍
1000011451.jpg

1000011453.jpg

So I dismantled the air intake system, and washed it all out
Cleaned the throttle body/MAF, and replaced the torn intake tube
Cleaning the throttle body, replacing the intake boot, and doing an Idle air volume relearn really smoothed out the engine
I'm still putting a Denso crank sensor in it, this era Nissan was awful about cam/crank sensors
It badly needs a PCV valve, you can significantly speed up oil filling by popping the dipstick out 🤨
1000011452.jpg

OCI, and drain + fill the CVT
1000011454.jpg

What does this figure mean?
1000011457.jpg

Tried to straighten out the grille, every marker/parking light bulb was out, so I replaced every exterior lightbulb
Kid never noticed marker lights, or that the turn signals were dual filament 🤔
Swapped out the trunk struts, it no longer tries to unalive you when a gust of wind comes by 😲
It came with 1 key, and no key fobs
It left with 1 key and two working keyfobs
Two new keys are on the way, I hope my Autel can do NATS 🔐

This 2.0S is oddly optioned
No ABS, but power trunk release and aux jack?
Rear drums and wheel covers 🤮
No cruise control, but intermittent wipers?

The battery terminals were badly corroded, and the hold down was MIA
She ain't pretty, but she'll do the job 🤌
I got all but one readiness monitor to set, hopefully he can get it smogged and we'll proceed with other work
1000011456.jpg

View attachment 220000

It appears to be an OLM. From cvtz50.info

Reading and resetting CVT Fluid Deterioration counter​

Press Read/Clear CVTF Deterioration button to read deterioration data.
Nissan recommends to change CVT fluid if deterioration exceeded 210000 points. Note that on majority of the vehicles the deterioration counter takes into account CVT operation only in high temperature conditions (the counter increases only when CVT temperature is above 90°C). There might be other reasons to replace CVT fluid – they shall be considered even if deterioration counter is significantly below the threshold.
After replacing CVT fluid, CVTF Deterioration data should be cleared. To perform deterioration data erasing, hold Read/Clear CVTF Deterioration button and confirm the operation by selecting YES in confirmation dialog.

Replaced the MAP sensor on the 2008 Town & Country I’ve been reviving for use.

The old one was battered and the end was closed up. I replaced it with one from O’Reillys and it seems to run ok. I’ll have to see how that works out.

Identified the coolant leak as the badly cobbled together heater hose assembly coming off the thermostat housing. Someone somewhere along the way decided that spring clamps are BAD and put worm clamps on them instead. Clamps that are too big. So these big clamps can’t be tightened properly and it allows pressure to bleed off. Not to mention coolant.

I ordered a replacement assembly that comes with new constant tension clamps and it will go on when it arrives in a few days.

Swapped out the throttle body on the 2011 Grand Caravan with the one on the 2014 Town & Country owned by my brother and his wife. Theirs awaits a replacement engine so with his OK I borrowed his working throttle body and put it on the 2011. My niece has been reporting that the throttle light comes on, it stalls randomly and just started doing this recently.

Given the van’s previous owner, who had no business trying to work on cars, it was inevitable. Who knows what he did to it. Or maybe I’m laying that on him and it was going to fail no matter what. 😎

She has not had any further problems with the van since. But it’s been only a day.

Yet another vehicle that makes me wonder "why do I pick up the phone" 🙄
Coworkers kid was given this '07 Sentra 2.0S (83k miles)
2.0 MR20DE with a RE0F10A Xtronic CVT
I was deputized with getting it through NJ Smog inspection, plus general fixing and making it roadworthy
View attachment 219993
It was laid up in a driveway in PA for a few years, so someone threw a battery in it, topped off the oil and said good luck kid 🫡

It comes to me loud, smelly, and with many dash emojis 😳
There may have been a rodent problem, the blower motor sounds like a 747, and the factory cabin filter was clogged solid 🤮
And underhood insulation was chewed
It's gonna need a blower motor and thorough HVAC cleaning 😷
When it first came to me, it was running lean and stalling
It had lean codes, engine speed codes, and CVT low pressure codes 😮
View attachment 220006
View attachment 219992
That'll do it...
View attachment 219994
Nest in the air filter housing?
You bet 👍
View attachment 219995
View attachment 219996

So I dismantled the air intake system, and washed it all out
Cleaned the throttle body/MAF, and replaced the torn intake tube
Cleaning the throttle body, replacing the intake boot, and doing an Idle air volume relearn really smoothed out the engine
I'm still putting a Denso crank sensor in it, this era Nissan was awful about cam/crank sensors
It badly needs a PCV valve, you can significantly speed up oil filling by popping the dipstick out 🤨
View attachment 219998
OCI, and drain + fill the CVT
View attachment 220002
View attachment 220000

Tried to straighten out the grille, every marker/parking light bulb was out, so I replaced every exterior lightbulb
Kid never noticed marker lights, or that the turn signals were dual filament 🤔
Swapped out the trunk struts, it no longer tries to unalive you when a gust of wind comes by 😲
It came with 1 key, and no key fobs
It left with 1 key and two working keyfobs
Two new keys are on the way, I hope my Autel can do NATS 🔐

This 2.0S is oddly optioned
No ABS, but power trunk release and aux jack?
Rear drums and wheel covers 🤮
No cruise control, but intermittent wipers?

The battery terminals were badly corroded, and the hold down was MIA
She ain't pretty, but she'll do the job 🤌
I got all but one readiness monitor to set, hopefully he can get it smogged and we'll proceed with other work
View attachment 220005
that kid has a guardian angel now.

Replaced the MAP sensor on the 2008 Town & Country I’ve been reviving for use.

The old one was battered and the end was closed up. I replaced it with one from O’Reillys and it seems to run ok. I’ll have to see how that works out.

Identified the coolant leak as the badly cobbled together heater hose assembly coming off the thermostat housing. Someone somewhere along the way decided that spring clamps are BAD and put worm clamps on them instead. Clamps that are too big. So these big clamps can’t be tightened properly and it allows pressure to bleed off. Not to mention coolant.

I ordered a replacement assembly that comes with new constant tension clamps and it will go on when it arrives in a few days.

Swapped out the throttle body on the 2011 Grand Caravan with the one on the 2014 Town & Country owned by my brother and his wife. Theirs awaits a replacement engine so with his OK I borrowed his working throttle body and put it on the 2011. My niece has been reporting that the throttle light comes on, it stalls randomly and just started doing this recently.

Given the van’s previous owner, who had no business trying to work on cars, it was inevitable. Who knows what he did to it. Or maybe I’m laying that on him and it was going to fail no matter what. 😎

She has not had any further problems with the van since. But it’s been only a day.
That is one problem with worm drive clamps -- people think it you can crank it down that small, it's fine.

Reactions: RAR
Put Element 3 pads and rotors, front and rear, on the kiddo’s Kia today. Flushed the brake fluid while I was there and rotated her tires to save her a trip to Walmart. Every car except the wife’s XT6 has new Element 3 pads, I really like them!

This is now the fourth tailgate easy lift torsion bar I've installed. Today was a 2nd Gen Ram for an elderly rancher in my 'hood.
20240519_144127.jpg
20240519_141902.jpg

The tailgate handle had also migrated up with time. I've seen this on other 2nd Gens and can't recall what causes it -- other than plastic fatigue I guess. Note the worn paint at top of handle opening where it was rubbing:
20240519_143031.jpg

He was fine with just trying to relocate the handle, so we measured and drilled new holes. It works perfectly now.
20240519_141857.jpg

Also put some crappy Dorman plastic bushings on the tailgate hinges and replaced a broken tailgate cable.

Yesterday I bought some tools at the local discount/overstock tool store, then went home and mowed the grass.

Intermittent code on my Sportwagen for the left front ABS sensor - low magnetic field. Sensor changed but still get this code from time to time. Took it out and blew compressed air into the hub, hope that sorts it..maybe a brake dust issue on the hub bit that the sensor picks up on.

For the second time in a row I stripped out one of the aluminum front brake caliper brackets (aftermarket BBK) from being a bonehead and over-torqueing...this time I just flat out forgot to set the wrench so it was "open" and by the time I realized my mistake it was spinning haha....Helicoil time!

I got up early before the sun was beating down on the driveway and I washed and waxed the 08 Liberty. I'll probably second coat it next week if I'm not stepping out of retirement again for another NYC wallpaper job.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
You speak as if you're talking to people who don't know or understand tools :D. Whaddya get?
Just some cheap screw drivers, cheap combination wrenches, and some cheap socket/ratchet kits. A neighbors youngest son has been hauling home and piddling with broken lawnmowers and I've been putting together a roll around box for him to use. His dad has tools but the inside of their garage looks like a junk sale. I had a spare box I bought at a yard sale that I never did anything with, so I figured if the boy is going to make a go at fixing stuff he needs some decent tools, and they'll be his and all in one place.

Back