Weird Heat Pump Issues- Article

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Last edited:
I will have to wait for my 3 head HP system to be activated to see if this happens, Something to look forward to? :rolleyes:
Yup...bad news. Even with the fuse pulled it would do it once early morning like 7am..I was running my auxiliary oil heat via the hybrid system.
At first I thought it was those destructive pileated woodpeckers.
It would also do it once near 7pm .
I set up a video camera on my deck and would run out and no woodpeckers. It's very loud and will have from 3 to 7 bursts.. and it shakes the block foundation of the house.
No joke. This article nailed it while local hvac guys throw the parts cannon at it.
1000002442.jpg

It would of been nice to know if the reversing valve was powered for cooling or heating. Seen a few 500 lb manifold high pressure gauges ruined by reversing valves going into cooling mode from heating defrost on 22 systems. Like to see the preferred position in the Parkers install paperwork.

It would of been nice to know if the reversing valve was powered for cooling or heating. Seen a few 500 lb manifold high pressure gauges ruined by reversing valves going into cooling mode from heating defrost on 22 systems. Like to see the preferred position in the Parkers install paperwork.
👍 Agreed. They were 💯 percent accurate of the timeline etc.

If the unit isn't running it shouldn't be making any noise at all. No refrigerant is flowing.

The only time the check valve in the TXV comes into play is when the unit is running an switching between heat and cool mode or when going through a defrost cycle.

If your running the oil heat and there is still a noise you have something else going on.

I haven't heard of this issue, the article mentioned that it happens on vertical downflow and horizontal air handlers but not vertical upflow air handlers. It also mentioned that both the indoor and outdoor unit must be equipped with a TXV, as far as i know most ICP units which includes Carrier and Bryant use a piston at the condenser, however Trane condensing units come with a TXV.

Yes it does make the noise without being used but only 1 or 2 incidents a day. Like over 12 hours if two.

Outside at the HP unit Only. Nothing inside and even when used as the HP it works perfectly but the noise will come eventually and not when running-yet anyway.
My installer a Bryant dealer was sold and the new owners are not worth calling even though it's under a parts warranty.

Refrigerant expanding into gas and burping out through some kind of check valve?
When it started I switched to oil.
The next day it did it again.
I went out and pulled the fuse.
The next day it did it again... so it has to be something like that.
When it runs it very quiet and does its job...

I'm getting someone Monday if I can. Will update.

It went on for over 30 minutes this morning and started at 6:55 am like clockwork. This is the window above the HP.
I just took a 6 second burst... this video is good for a few days only.

I do think it's refrigerant related. How annoying.
If the system is sitting with no power on the pressures have equalized between the high side and low side so no refrigerant is flowing. Even temperature changes throughout the day wouldn't cause enough flow to make any noise.

Ive been doing hvac for close to 15 years now and have never heard a piece of equipment make noise like that. Especially something that isn't energized.

Really sounds like a woodpecker going to town on something to me.

Back