Valvoline Advanced vs Extended Protection

Between the 2 Valvoline synthetics, is there one that is superior over the other? I know the Extended Protection has more Boron and Molly, and I guess it would take you a little bit further if you were going to extend your oil change.. but I know Valvoline don't put no mileage on it..

Thank you for your help..

Between the 2 Valvoline synthetics, is there one that is superior over the other? I know the Extended Protection has more Boron and Molly, and I guess it would take you a little bit further if you were going to extend your oil change.. but I know Valvoline don't put no mileage on it..

Valvoline advanced is fine

I've been using the EP. Presumably since they advertise it for extended use over their regular product, it likely has some enhanced base oils. I'd expect better resistance to break down, well worth two bucks to me.

I recently drained a 5k run of EP, and not only was it somewhat reddish it had a unique smell to it. Honestly it reminded me of the old Magnatec. Esters? I don't know. I had intended to take a sample and totally spaced it off.

I've been using the EP. Presumably since they advertise it for extended use over their regular product, it likely has some enhanced base oils. I'd expect better resistance to break down, well worth two bucks to me.

I recently drained a 5k run of EP, and not only was it somewhat reddish it had a unique smell to it. Honestly it reminded me of the old Magnatec. Esters? I don't know. I had intended to take a sample and totally spaced it off.
@KCJeep I remember you telling me that you were using EP.

The point wasn't about switching brands but that if you change oil that often, even the lowest priced synthetic will work great.
I understand, the reason I'm switching to Valvoline is I always had good UOA with Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend, that was prior to me switching to Mobil 1.

I understand, the reason I'm switching to Valvoline is I always had good UOA with Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend, that was prior to me switching to Mobil 1.
Why go from using Mobil 1 (quite happily it seems) to wanting to use Valvoline?

Either oil is going to be overkill in your situation is likely the only point @atikovi was looking to make.

Because my last UOA my iron levels were high, using Mobil 1, when I was using Valvoline maxlife synthetic blend prior to me using, full synthetic, iron levels were low..

Mobil 1 16
Valvoline 2

Because my last UOA my iron levels were high, using Mobil 1, when I was using Valvoline maxlife synthetic blend prior to me using, full synthetic, iron levels were low..

Mobil 1 16
Valvoline 2

Mobil 1 used to be well known for higher iron in UOA's. Of particular note in the Jeep 4.0 engine but that wasn't the only one. Nobody ever really knew why, but there was plenty of back and forth about it. I've not seen that trend in years though.

Mobil 1 used to be well known for higher iron in UOA's. Of particular note in the Jeep 4.0 engine but that wasn't the only one. Nobody ever really knew why, but there was plenty of back and forth about it. I've not seen that trend in years though.
That's interesting.. I also had my timing chain, water pump, tensioners and guides replaced, but that was also 3,000 miles prior, and the second oil change since..

Mobil 1 16
Valvoline 2
I often notice when people switch oils there is a small increase in wear metals temporarily, that is the pattern I have been seeing with UOA's.

@Furious I have heard that before, I was also told, there could have been left over metals from the repair work.. I was also told, if I upped it to 5W-30, that would bring down the iron.. I don't know if that's true or false..

@Furious I have heard that before, I was also told, there could have been left over metals from the repair work.. I was also told, if I upped it to 5W-30, that would bring down the iron.. I don't know if that's true or false..
If you are using the correct grade of oil for your vehicle outside of repairs or current on going issues then switching to 5w30 should not bring down wear metals on a healthy engine.

I would suspect due to you just having repair work assuming it was done correctly that is probably where the majority of your increase has came from, I would take a sample next oil change without switching oil brands.

@Furious I would think everything was done correctly, at this point, it's been almost 10k and over a year, couple trips to the Carolinas as well. No codes, stored or pending.. I also had the oil pump replaced as well. The vehicle is a 13 Ford Edge with a 3.5 all the work was done out of preventive maintenance.. Inside the engine was scoped and it was very clean.. I bought it off the original owner in 2015 with 80k who changed the oil every 5k at the dealer.. and I have all receipts for it.. I used synthetic blend till I switched to Mobil 1.

Last edited:

Valvoline Rxtrnded protection does not promise to extend your OCI , it only promises to provide extra protection during the normal OCI used .

Back