Right vs. left fuelling

Any issues/preferences?
All of the square body GM trucks I have owned have had dual tanks so I got used to being an ambidextrous re-fueler a long time ago and it doesn't bother me either way. The only car I ever owned that was strictly passenger side was my TDI Jetta. My Impala fuels in the center as other classic car drivers have noted, so that one doesn't matter which way I pull in. My Tacoma is driver's side. Costco, where I fill up 99% of the time, is the only place where I can fuel the Tacoma with the pump on the passenger side due to the noted extra long hoses.

TL;DR - no preference.

Not a problem with a real Volkswagen

IMG_3050.jpeg

B/c it's European and well....they often drive on the left side. Also, my Focus is right-side filling b/c again, it was a "world" platform. BMW, Merc, etc. are all right-side fuelling.
actually, curb side filling for all but 2 countries in europe....

Have only had 1 car with left side filling ( a van that had the filler right behind the driver door like a sprinter.

Most cars have it on the left. Wish mine was on the right as the lines at Costco are always packed for left handed pumps. I’ll pump it by stretching the hose if I have to, just hate it. And not all Sam’s Clubs have long hoses. I’ve sat in line for a long time thinking they had long hoses like Costco only to find out after paying through the app, short hose.

All of our vehicles are left side fillers. Except for the Lexus which is on the right. The motorcycles are ambidextrous.

Not really an issue as most folks here are fair minded ("You were in line before me...") for the odd person facing the "wrong" direction.

One of my cars fills on the right, the other on the left. I usually remember and make my approach to the pumps accordingly but once in a while I forget until I'm next to the pump and then need to drive around to the other side.

And it's usually my luck when there is a line at the pumps on the side I need to fill on and if I were in my other car I could have pulled right up to an open pump.

All of our vehicles are left side fillers. Except for the Lexus which is on the right. The motorcycles are ambidextrous.
Interesting, every Japanese vehicle I have owned was on the left, I thought it was a "thing".

Just like every German vehicle has been on the right and I thought it was a thing for them too.

Interesting, every Japanese vehicle I have owned was on the left, I thought it was a "thing".

Just like every German vehicle has been on the right and I thought it was a thing for them too.
Same - our Lexus (2008) is left side.

I seem to remember that some Jaguar cars had fillers on both sides.
Yeah that was an XJ and it was because they had two tanks. There was a switch on the instrument panel to select which one to feed the engine. You couldn't cross-fill the tank from the other side.

DAC1356_1.jpeg

Last edited:

In the case of the LS, I thought the filler was on the right side because it was designed and built in Japan.

:unsure:

I like right fuelling just because I'm used to it, having driven German and Japanese cars mostly.

My Mazda cx5 has an icon on the dash showing me which side to fuel up, if I forget. ED
I never realized what that icon was for until this thread. A triangle and a gas pump? What does that even mean?

Had it on driver's side for so long that I'd probably be upset that it was now on the "wrong" side. But I used to have a VW, and I think it was on the right side? can't be that hard to adapt. But like most things, it'd be nice if my fleet was standardized.

Had it on driver's side for so long that I'd probably be upset that it was now on the "wrong" side. But I used to have a VW, and I think it was on the right side? can't be that hard to adapt. But like most things, it'd be nice if my fleet was standardized.
It's not hard to adapt, just that some station's layout combined with the majority of autos in the U.S. with left side filler can cause issues in my experience.

Back