Ravenol VST 5W-40 - 5,512 miles - 2018 BMW M550i xDrive - 51,500 Miles

Hello everyone,

Car is driven approximately 40% in the city and 60% on the highway with some stop and go traffic in LA freeways. I don't drive it much as I still use my old E39 525i for errands, etc. No track but I do enjoy pushing her when I get a chance and it is safe. I did the one year OCI and I'm thinking I should extend that a bit more as per TBN report. I have read here that the Ravenol may have changed the formulation and removed Tungsten due to possible supply shortages during COVID, is there any way we can tell if this sample has any indications of the use of Tungsten? I bought this oil in April of 2022 so not sure if this batch has it or not. Anyways, I'd appreciate your comments on this report one way or another. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 4.38.56 PM.jpg

Ravenol is not exactly budget oil so I would probably leave it in as per suggested mileage and wouldn't worry about "time."
Report looks excellent - nice to see this oil holding up to those turbos!

Ravenol is not exactly budget oil so I would probably leave it in as per suggested mileage and wouldn't worry about "time."
Report looks excellent - nice to see this oil holding up to those turbos!
Yes, that's the plan for now. And unlike other late model BMWs, this engine still has an oil dipstick so I plan to use a pump to suck up some oil and send in another sample as I approach 7500 miles. Thanks

Yes, that's the plan for now. And unlike other late model BMWs, this engine still has an oil dipstick so I plan to use a pump to suck up some oil and send in another sample as I approach 7500 miles. Thanks
In N63 I would move to 5W30. It helps to lower heat a but due to lower resistance. Stick with Ravenol if you want. I personally would go Castrol Edge 0W30 or HPL 5W30 Euro.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve used Castrol Edge 0W30 several times in the past for different cars with great results. I would have thought that a 30W oil would have been too thin for a hot running engine like the N63 but your explanation makes sense. I’ve been also thinking about using HPL Euro and I’d like to give that a try, most likely at the next oil change. I also have a bunch of QS Euro 5W40 that I use for the wife’s N55 535i and I was considering using it to compare it with the Ravenol. Decisions decisions…

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve used Castrol Edge 0W30 several times in the past for different cars with great results. I would have thought that a 30W oil would have been too thin for a hot running engine like the N63 but your explanation makes sense. I’ve been also thinking about using HPL Euro and I’d like to give that a try, most likely at the next oil change. I also have a bunch of QS Euro 5W40 that I use for the wife’s N55 535i and I was considering using it to compare it with the Ravenol. Decisions decisions…
All oils we are talking are with HTHS of 3.5cP at minimum. So, you are good there when it comes to protection margin. Considering your driving pattern, regardless of how much you push vehicle, good XW30 oil is all you need. It has huge sump, overkill cooling hardware. Remember golden rule if lubrication, “as thin as possible, as thick as necessary.”

This 5w-40 probably isn't much over 3.5 HTHS so I just don't see any need for a change in oil. This report is excellent so why would anyone suggest doing something different? The OP never asked what other brands & grades to run.

Back