PYB 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this oil has had some serious attention due to the extremely low NOACK values and after seeing how slowly I'm putting on miles I decided I'm wasting money on synthetics. For comparison I've only put 3,800 miles on the Jaguar since the oil change in August 2015. The owners manual for the Jag calls for conventional 5w30 and 10,000 mile oil changes.

So yep, you've read that right, the Jaguar and Lincoln are going to get good ol' PYB! For the first time ever I've purchased conventional oil. I'm thinking I might finally use my UOA kit to see how it does, but given the OEM OCI recommendation, it should be fine for 7-8k a year OCI with the 7.5 qt sump. I don't dare bring this up on the Jaguar forums for not using syn or at least Castrol GTX and not a 5w30, I'd never hear the end of it!

I'm sure it'll be fine, but at 7-8k miles I'd still use a synthetic. Or a conventional 2x a year.

3,800 miles from August 2015 to now will be about 7-8k mile in a year. With this yearly mileage and synthetic is so reasonable priced I would stay with it.

For about $5-10 extra over conventional a year, synthetic is worth it. Remember you spend more than $1,000 in gas a year, extra $10 for oil is nothing compares with gas.

Todays oil aren't like the oils of the 1960, that almost everyone compares them to. Actually even the syns. are different.

PYB is awesome stuff and I like your plan. At those kinds of OCIs the PYB will serve you very well.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Todays oil aren't like the oils of the 1960, that almost everyone compares them to. Actually even the syns. are different.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
PYB is awesome stuff and I like your plan. At those kinds of OCIs the PYB will serve you very well.

+1 for each ^

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
3,800 miles from August 2015 to now will be about 7-8k mile in a year. With this yearly mileage and synthetic is so reasonable priced I would stay with it.

1x annual oil changes are compelling to me. You winter temps are no lower than ours, and summer much higher, if any change I would use a 10w-30 synthetic and change it 1x a year. I use M1 10w-30 HM on our Lexus for this reason.

For about $5-10 extra over conventional a year, synthetic is worth it. Remember you spend more than $1,000 in gas a year, extra $10 for oil is nothing compares with gas.

For about $5-10 extra over conventional a year, synthetic is worth it. Remember you spend more than $1,000 in gas a year, extra $10 for oil is nothing compares with gas

The best statement I have seen here on this site.
That is why I just can't understand why anybody want to go for the cheapest option when buying oil and filter.

Last edited:
There's an assumtion that even the cheapest synthetic provides better wear protection and cleaning than the best semi-synthetic. I'm not convinced that's true. PYB 10w30's detergents, add pack and low-NOACK are hard to beat.

If the OP's cars sit for any length of time without being driven, a good semi-synthetic like PYB might provide better protection at startup than a full synthetic. He might want to do a UOA around 5K to see how the TBN is holding up before going to 7-8K, but if it can go the full OCI I wouldn't hesitate to use it- not because its cheaper but because its a darned good oil.

edit: I'm not saying PYB is the best synthetic-blend, only that syn-blends are not necessarily inferior to full synthetics.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia

For about $5-10 extra over conventional a year, synthetic is worth it. Remember you spend more than $1,000 in gas a year, extra $10 for oil is nothing compares with gas

That is why I just can't understand why anybody want to go for the cheapest option when buying oil and filter.

I am not surprised about this post. Thought, logic, and analysis needs to be applied. Thus this is way to complicated for most to understand.

I bet that some of the Jag owners on their forums are pretty uppity. Nothing at all wrong with PYB as I have used it many times. It is good stuff.

I don't blame you for not talking about it on their forums. They would probably black ball you from them. If you do 7-8 k miles per year, just change it yearly and you will be within the Jag recommendation for OCI.

However, I thought that you Jag owners really pampered your rides. And I really did not think you all worried about 5-10 bucks difference on oil changes.

Just kidding in the third thought in this post. Hope you have a long and healthy Jag for many years to come.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

I am not surprised about this post. Thought, logic, and analysis needs to be applied. Thus this is way to complicated for most to understand.

The only problem in logic, thought or analysis in the original post is that it's based upon the assumption that a synthetic labeled oil will provide better performance in service than will an oil not labeled as synthetic.
I used to think that this must be true, but I'm beginning to have doubts.
A lot of things can be made to seem cost effective if you make the right comparison, even though that comparison may not be relevant.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
I bet that some of the Jag owners on their forums are pretty uppity. Nothing at all wrong with PYB as I have used it many times. It is good stuff.

I don't blame you for not talking about it on their forums. They would probably black ball you from them. If you do 7-8 k miles per year, just change it yearly and you will be within the Jag recommendation for OCI.

However, I thought that you Jag owners really pampered your rides. And I really did not think you all worried about 5-10 bucks difference on oil changes.

Just kidding in the third thought in this post. Hope you have a long and healthy Jag for many years to come.

The uppity bit might be a bit true, but I am a DIYer in general. Honestly a few factors came into play. I'm a fairly frugal person in general and running a longer drain syn just seems like a waste given my mileage and Jaguar's specs/OCI. The low NOACK is a definite plus that finalized my choice over GTX. I considered Magnatec syn blend, but it seems to have very low WM availability. All Jag owners that change their own oil either use Mobil 1, Castrol syn, and many use GTX, but I've only seen GTX used for conventional. I'm not sure how some would see using PYB as not a solid choice as based on specs it may be possible to say it looks stronger than the GTX, which is what most Jaguar dealers use and many have speculated was factory fill before Jaguar went to 5w20, which they haven't back specc'd like Ford has.

I know it's just opinion, but most Jaguar dealers before the newer models started using Magnatec said under no circumstances to use synthetic. Again, the majority of S-Type drivers on the forum use GTX, even the supercharged models, but the XJ owners using the same engines seem to think differently even though both manuals information are absolutely identical. It does also reference 0/5w40 as acceptable which we all know would have to be a synthetic, but the book makes absolutely no mention of synthetics for or against.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: dave1251

The only problem in logic, thought or analysis in the original post is that it's based upon the assumption that a synthetic labeled oil will provide better performance in service than will an oil not labeled as synthetic.
I used to think that this must be true, but I'm beginning to have doubts.
A lot of things can be made to seem cost effective if you make the right comparison, even though that comparison may not be relevant.

+1 Agreed. My only reason for using synthetics in Miami, Fl has more to do with the Auto Zone clearance prices at the end of every year versus any real need. I used conventional many times in my high boost turbo (sold with over 250K miles) in the past and have used conventional Mobil Delvac 15W40 in this 2.0T (low calcium) without issue...ever.

I think you might be surprised how well PYB will do. I like it a lot. And a large sump engine like you have will do great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back