post your latest transmission lubricant change.

15 quarts of Supertech Mercon V on sale for $5.96 each..
$94.76 shipped to my door..
I watch Walmart.com and once in a while Valvoline ATF rolls buy much lower than what O’R’s sells it for …

Funny what you see - Dex VI as low as $6.34 and the newer EP is cheaper in quarts LoL

Last edited:
Did this about 5 weeks ago but didn't know about this thread
2022 Subaru wrx 6MT front diff/transmission and rear diff fluids.

Out: OEM fluids 75w90 rear / 75w85 (I think is what they use)
In: OEM 75w90 rear and front

Some gunk on each magnetic drain bolt but the fluids did not smell bad and was pretty clean looking and not dark, as you can see on the rear diff draining.
Next time will prbably put Motul fluids. Planning on 20-25k mile intervals

Replaced all gaskets as well.
View attachment 214653View attachment 214654View attachment 214656View attachment 214655
I used to use Motul Gear 300 in every Subie I serviced, because at the time it had a very high VI and claimed to be “unshearable”. I would always run 50k OCIs on the Gear 300. It’s also GL-4 and GL-5 rated. I found it’s just fine in the differentials, but not quite as agreeable in the 5MT during Midwest winters.

Since HPL has come on board, I had several lab tests done to ASTM standards (can be found in the gear oils topics) and found that while the Motul is decent, the HPL is arguably better on several fronts, plus the fact that Gear 300 has become scarce and pricey (upwards of $22/qt and not always available), that HPL for the list price plus whatever current discounts are available is a much better overall deal.

I switched my Impreza over not long ago, and even if I keep it another 100k miles I’m not going to worry about the diff lube. I’ve noticed between the Green CC ATF and the HPL Diff Life CC that my car actually takes longer to coast down.

I have a couple questions out there to some people because the change was significant; we’re talking 7-8mph less lost on coast over the same area I measured countless times before. Trying to get a tank or two in before I measure to see if the economy gains are real, but less drag has to equate to better mileage, right?

HPL did a dyno test against on a multimillion-dollar-backed competitor’s gear oil on a chassis dyno, and found that with no other changes whatsoever, HPL picked up 7.8 rwhp over the previous oil. When you’re talking 850+HP, gaining nearly 8hp by changing your gear lube is a huge deal! Temps in the diff dropped by like 30* as well, so the fluid already has a better chance of protecting better and extending component life. Just a thought.

I used to use Motul Gear 300 in every Subie I serviced, because at the time it had a very high VI and claimed to be “unshearable”. I would always run 50k OCIs on the Gear 300. It’s also GL-4 and GL-5 rated. I found it’s just fine in the differentials, but not quite as agreeable in the 5MT during Midwest winters.

Since HPL has come on board, I had several lab tests done to ASTM standards (can be found in the gear oils topics) and found that while the Motul is decent, the HPL is arguably better on several fronts, plus the fact that Gear 300 has become scarce and pricey (upwards of $22/qt and not always available), that HPL for the list price plus whatever current discounts are available is a much better overall deal.

I switched my Impreza over not long ago, and even if I keep it another 100k miles I’m not going to worry about the diff lube. I’ve noticed between the Green CC ATF and the HPL Diff Life CC that my car actually takes longer to coast down.

I have a couple questions out there to some people because the change was significant; we’re talking 7-8mph less lost on coast over the same area I measured countless times before. Trying to get a tank or two in before I measure to see if the economy gains are real, but less drag has to equate to better mileage, right?

HPL did a dyno test against on a multimillion-dollar-backed competitor’s gear oil on a chassis dyno, and found that with no other changes whatsoever, HPL picked up 7.8 rwhp over the previous oil. When you’re talking 850+HP, gaining nearly 8hp by changing your gear lube is a huge deal! Temps in the diff dropped by like 30* as well, so the fluid already has a better chance of protecting better and extending component life. Just a thought.
Motul uses mPAO from a MMDB base stock M - but most don’t have access to what’s in any company’s formula … Maybe one item like I mentioned - far from any trade secrets …

Do you have a link to the HPL?

I wanted to try HPL- no dealers here which is odd.

I wanted to try HPL- no dealers here which is odd.
They will ship it to you, but the duty and shipping are a real kick to the stones. If you are making a trip to the US at some point and have a friend that lives there, just get it shipped to their house and bring it back with you. Shipping within the US is very cheap.

Back