Oh she'll need some paint after this one.

I think the deer won. I doubt it's totaled but it'll need a new hood, driver's fender, bumper, driver's fog light, radiator, and two new headlights (at $1,200 a piece.)

IMG-0354.jpg

IMG-0355.jpg

IMG-0356.jpg

IMG-0357.jpg

Dang! I hate when Bambi tears up nice cars. Glad it was just sheetmetal. Did it pop the radiator? A/C condensor? Core support is thermoplastic and resilient, but expensive if cracked and have to replace.

Since you have to replace the headlights, I'd go for the Clubsport front end. Almost did that to my '16, but it would have involved new lights and fenders along with the new bumper cover and other bits. Looks waaaay nicer than the NAR front end though.

About 10 years ago, I hit a coyote with my VW Jetta wagon doing abo 60 mph. Ran right out in front of me. Took out the radiator, AC heat exchanger and the cooer for the turbo as well as the lights, the hood and a fender! It went underneath the car and then was hit by the guy behind me. Cost was almost $5000 to fix. Car was only a year old. Insurance company wanted proof of what I hit. Fortunately there was a lot of hair stuck to the underside which the body shop collected and put into an envelope when the insurance adjuster came to the shop. Never heard another word from them!

I have had many near misses here in Michigan. Also had one run into the side of my car causes a minor dent and ripping off my passenger mirror. The wife hit one once.

Dang! I hate when Bambi tears up nice cars. Glad it was just sheetmetal. Did it pop the radiator? A/C condensor? Core support is thermoplastic and resilient, but expensive if cracked and have to replace.

Since you have to replace the headlights, I'd go for the Clubsport front end. Almost did that to my '16, but it would have involved new lights and fenders along with the new bumper cover and other bits. Looks waaaay nicer than the NAR front end though.
We’ll see how bad it is here in a few hours. I think the radiator is damaged. It’s definitely steaming coolant from somewhere while running and I think it’s spraying on the serpentine belt because I can smell rubber under the hood while it’s running. I looked it up and the pair of headlights alone are $2,300. I’ll be very surprised if this comes in under $10k.

I hope it’s fixable because I had plans for this car, but I’ve had a wandering eye at the last of the GTI manuals and there’s a 2024 380 at my dealer so there’s a backup plan.

I have had many near misses here in Michigan. Also had one run into the side of my car causes a minor dent and ripping off my passenger mirror. The wife hit one once.
Oh yeah. I’ve had near misses for nearly 5 years. Never even made contact with one in my nearly 20 years driving before that. Last one was a light scratch as I barely tapped one with my F150. This is my first direct hit.

We’ll see how bad it is here in a few hours. I think the radiator is damaged. It’s definitely steaming coolant from somewhere while running and I think it’s spraying on the serpentine belt because I can smell rubber under the hood while it’s running. I looked it up and the pair of headlights alone are $2,300. I’ll be very surprised if this comes in under $10k.
ontrols on the steering wheel
I hope it’s fixable because I had plans for this car, but I’ve had a wandering eye at the last of the GTI manuals and there’s a 2024 380 at my dealer so there’s a backup plan.
Wait til 25, they are supposed to get rid of those idiotic capacitive controls on the steering wheel along with some other minor upgrades. Don't know when for certain VW is dumping the manual in the GTI, but there may be some overlap in MYs where they still have surplus trannys. Or, you can fit a MK7.5 wheel and code it. Unless you actually LIKE those controls. 380s are nice.

Nice Jetta, I hope insurance treats you fairly.
A deer totalled our low mileage 2001 LeSabre a few years ago. Did tremendous damage at 100 km/hr to the car and the deer.

Wait til 25, they are supposed to get rid of those idiotic capacitive controls on the steering wheel along with some other minor upgrades. Don't know when for certain VW is dumping the manual in the GTI, but there may be some overlap in MYs where they still have surplus trannys. Or, you can fit a MK7.5 wheel and code it. Unless you actually LIKE those controls. 380s are nice.
I don't love the controls, but I'd like a manual if I get another. 2024 is the official end of the manual. That's why they created the 380 edition, which apparently is the internal code for the manual. There's 3 manual GTIs at the dealer and 1 Golf R manual incoming so I have some prospects if it did turn for the worse. There's also the part of I'd need a car regardless if it does total and won't be able to wait for the 2025 with one car until then. If I had already bought the second Tesla I was planning, it wouldn't be a problem, but I already had planned to do that in 3-5 years. I've heard it's possible to use the MK7.5 wheel, but I think that might be more cost and trouble than it's worth to change the steering wheel controls.

Looks like this should make it through. Estimate so far is $7,075 before pulling the front bumper. I don't think it would be possible to go deep enough to total at this point. Crossing my fingers, I didn't really want it to go.

I just can't get over how much I miss driving this car already and it'll probably be another 3 weeks. I've driven by the shop twice just to see it. I thought at one point that I wish it would total out and buy a new one, but I just don't think that's what I honestly want. I really want this one back. The tune and some changes using OBDeleven really woke this car up.

A picture when it was still whole.
IMG-0244.jpg

Back