Nice Corolla with so-so body...

I am looking for something for my grandnieces. Used cars are apparently still made outta gold; then you gotta pay the Toyota Tax.
A 2005 Corolla LE, 150K and great mechanical condition was parked around the corner. Probably $3000. My body paint man said about $2500 based on these pics... The passenger side doors are the problem even though they work fine. Aftermarket bumper covers are cheap enough.
1694732158388.jpg

1694732214173.jpg

1694732230785.jpg

1694732257416.jpg

1694732277044.jpg

1694732298098.jpg

Wow.

They apparently missed bashing in the passenger side rear corner... or it has been and the damage just wasn't pictured.

Why do I have this quote from a movie going through my head.... I want you to go out there and hit the pace car... so you'll be perfect... ...?

You’ve got to consider…how much has the straightness of the unibody suffered with all that bashing? Yeah it’s panel dents, but that is a LOT of hits. It may never track straight and eat tires like no tommorow.

You’ve got to consider…how much has the straightness of the unibody suffered with all that bashing? Yeah it’s panel dents, but that is a LOT of hits. It may never track straight and eat tires like no tommorow.
I drove it and checked it over. It has newer, cheapo rubber. A decent set of rubber and this thing would be fine. You wouldn't believe the engine bay. Freakin' spotless.

The asking price is $3,500. It will easily get close to that around here, I hate to say...

"Here grandnieces, I bought you this rolling pile of junk because you're just going to wreck it anyway." Really? Consider the author of this thread.

I helped my son buy an old S10 that looked like it rode the guardrail on one side because it had and I knew he was going to be hard on it and needed something to work on. He loved it. Helped daughter buy an older but very presentable Saturn L200 because I knew she'd take care of it. 10 years later she still had it and it still looked good.

@JeffKeryk , if you know a car's history it might be worth spending the money on bodywork. That car hasn't seen much love in it's 150k life.

What would $5,500-$6000 buy you in another car? Surely, you can find something in good shape for that kind of money. If you do buy it for $3k let the kiddo's fix it up.

"Here grandnieces, I bought you this rolling pile of junk because you're just going to wreck it anyway." Really? Consider the author of this thread.

I helped my son buy an old S10 that looked like it rode the guardrail on one side because it had and I knew he was going to be hard on it and needed something to work on. He loved it. Helped daughter buy an older but very presentable Saturn L200 because I knew she'd take care of it. 10 years later she still had it and it still looked good.

@JeffKeryk , if you know a car's history it might be worth spending the money on bodywork. That car hasn't seen much love in it's 150k life.

Every panel is damaged, it's not getting fixed for $3k.

how much is one without all the body damage ?
Maybe $6K if I am real lucky. Mileage is generally pretty high on a nearly 20 year old Corolla.
Finding a decent one is tough, but you are right; this one needs too much unless I can get it dirt cheap.

Probably moving on.

Back