New Amsoil European Viscosities

Amsoil makes quality oils and nobody should have concerns that they are doing someing nefarious here.

I believe that detail matters. If they can't get the recommended approvals right, what else did they potentially overlook? To be fair Amsoil is not the only brand with a grey area here.

Other brands, which cost a lot less, are very clear about what they meet. Why wouldn't I just use one of those?

I believe that detail matters. If they can't get the recommended approvals right, what else did they potentially overlook? To be fair Amsoil is not the only brand with a grey area here.

Other brands, which cost a lot less, are very clear about what they meet. Why wouldn't I just use one of those?
Clearly approvals/those details are important to you so yes, use the approved oils - you've answered your own question/I don't need to answer it for you. Some folks like Amsoil so if you are an Amsoil customer I can see why this would be another nice Euro choice if you say drive an Atlas like me that calls for 502 or 504. I'd have no concerns including warranty using it. Like you however, I go inexpensive/approval route on that vehicle just b/c it's the most inexpensive route (FCP/free/Liquimoly).

dexos R is another one. There are only two oils that meet it apparently and they are Supercar 0w40 and 5w50. It's proprietary GM spec "Dexos R denotes 0W-40 and 5W-50 motor oils that can withstand the rigors of high-speed and high-load conditions created during high-performance driving".

Amsoil oddly enough recommends their SS for this when I would think their Euro 0w40 would be more appropriate due to the lower SA level.

Amsoil is a very good formulator so I wouldn't be concerned, however, their recommendation for SS 0w40 is not technically correct due to the higher SAPS levels.

dexos R is another one. There are only two oils that meet it apparently and they are Supercar 0w40 and 5w50.

Amsoil oddly enough recommends their SS for this when I would think their Euro 0w40 would be more appropriate due to the lower SA level.

Amsoil is a very good formulator so I wouldn't be concerned, however, their recommendation for SS 0w40 is not technically correct due to the higher SAPS levels.

This of course is the issue. I am not one to criticize Amsoil, in fact I have supported them in the past when baseless and silly objections are made here on the board. But when recommendations are made for two mutually exclusive approvals like this I do find it alarming, just as I did for that other brand that was discussed recently.

In regards to HPL I have never seen them do this in any recommendation or discussion on the board. In fact every single discussion we've had with them they have been 100% accurate and precise in their comments. I was initially skeptical of them when they appeared here but after seeing their responses and accurate technical posts I am fully convinced they know what they are doing.

AMSOIL supports and warranties the use of the EOT 0W-30 for the BMW LL-01FE specification.

The base TBN for nearly all the European manufacturer specifications is => 6.0 TBN, however the LL-01FE is acknowledged to be higher and related to extra detergency. TBN is a generalized measurement of the detergency in an engine oil for some of the requirements of this specification as I stated earlier in this thread.

Amsoil EOT has additives that provide detergency which do not register in the TBN measurement yet provide the added performance the oils need to satisfy all the listed requirements.

1687197727967.png

Last edited:
AMSOIL supports and warranties the use of the EOT 0W-30 for the BMW LL-01FE specification.

The base TBN for nearly all the European manufacturer specifications is => 6.0 TBN, however the LL-04FE is acknowledged to be higher and related to extra detergency. TBN is a generalized measurement of the detergency in an engine oil for some of the requirements of this specification as I stated earlier in this thread.

Amsoil EOT has additives that provide detergency which do not register in the TBN measurement yet provide the added performance the oils need to satisfy all the listed requirements.

View attachment 162251
LL04FE? I want to know more!

They list the "meets/exceeds" approvals for each of their Euro oils (the ones I use/know about). Firstly - I use HPL/like HPL. I have no issues that their oils do not have the formal approvals - obviously as I use them/couldn't care less here. I understand however in this discussion folks are calling out Amsoil for listing multiple approvals that aren't meant to be listed together which to me is likely a typo/oversight and not intentional. Come on folks...Amsoil makes quality oils and nobody should have concerns that they are doing someing nefarious here.

View attachment 162222
This is unserious! Absolutely ridiculous!
It is Amsoil topic. However, I didn’t check this and I will repeat again, this is the reason why manufacturers introduced approvals.

The base TBN for nearly all the European manufacturer specifications is => 6.0 TBN, however the LL-01FE is acknowledged to be higher and related to extra detergency. TBN is a generalized measurement of the detergency in an engine oil for some of the requirements of this specification as I stated earlier in this thread.

View attachment 162251
It also says that maximum HTHS has to be at or below 3.5. Other approvals that are listed have HTHS requirement of 3.5 and higher. LL01FE has specific fuel efficiency requirements. No other blender that has oil approved has LL01 FE and other approvals EOT has. It would NEVER be approved for LL01FE.

Any LL01 oil will be appropriate for LL01FE as all engines that require LL01FE in manual, were previously required to use LL01. Switch was done in the name of efficiency.

What you guys are doing is fishing for unsuspecting customers. Most BMW’s after 2012 have LL01FE listed or LL17FE with option to use LL01FE.
Most VW’s are listed for VW504.00/507.00, and most MB’s switched to MB229.51. MB229.51 is an option in vehicles requiring MB229.71 or MB229.61.

In practice, this oil will be fine. Advertising on other had, is unethical. Not borderline unethical, it is unethical, period.

Not a point of being correct, I actually agree with you. It just has undertones of animosity and it seems to be a recurring theme towards certain companies.
Lol. So, i am correct but my tone? I actually publish peer reviewed articles for living, but this is not place for 5,000-7,500 word.
But, you did give me an idea. Last peer reviewed article I published when it comes to accountability and unethical behavior was about VW, this might be good case study too.

Lol. So, i am correct but my tone? I actually publish peer reviewed articles for living, but this is not place for 5,000-7,500 word.
But, you did give me an idea. Last peer reviewed article I published when it comes to accountability and unethical behavior was about VW, this might be good case study too.
Go for it edy.

Back