Lithium industry could drain billions of gallons of water from Colorado River

Wasting water on golf courses is almost as bad.
As of January 2023, 18 golf courses in the Coachella Valley use only Colorado River water for irrigation. Another 30 courses use a combination of river water, recycled water, and groundwater.

Golf courses in the Coachella Valley use about 18% of the area's water. A single course can use as much as one million gallons of water per day.

Golf courses use a variety of water sources for turfgrass irrigation, including:
  • Groundwater
  • Surface water (lakes, rivers, and reservoirs)
  • Recycled water
  • Municipal potable water supplies

As of January 2023, 18 golf courses in the Coachella Valley use only Colorado River water for irrigation. Another 30 courses use a combination of river water, recycled water, and groundwater.

Golf courses in the Coachella Valley use about 18% of the area's water. A single course can use as much as one million gallons of water per day.

Golf courses use a variety of water sources for turfgrass irrigation, including:
  • Groundwater
  • Recycled water
They are some nice courses though

Plenty of rain if they captured it. The reservoir/water treatment system is extremely outdated.
Yes, along with the grid. Here's my take: Golf courses are green, with grass and trees, they make oxygen, they're good for the environment, which is what the push for all electric is supposed to be about. If the goal is to go green the golf courses are good for the environment. Having said that I'm not a fan of golf, so maybe they should close them and put up affordable housing for our homeless Vets.

Yes, along with the grid. Here's my take: Golf courses are green, with grass and trees, they make oxygen, they're good for the environment, which is what the push for all electric is supposed to be about. If the goal is to go green the golf courses are good for the environment. Having said that I'm not a fan of golf, so maybe they should close them and put up affordable housing for our homeless Vets.
Maybe you need read up on how terrible golf courses are for the environment.

Lotta trees in CA. Mountains full of 'em. There's a private golf course just down the street, La Rinconada. I'm not allowed there.
Membership is $125K with $600 per month dues. Once my Dad asked if we could get him a round; wifey replied maybe we could toss him over the fence.

I have some Japanese Maples I planted. Need a trim, I guess.
1706833353629.jpg

Last edited:
This is the other side of that anti golf course coin.

At least almonds are tasty and worth the water IMHO, Avocados too.

It's so bad even Tom Selleck got accused of stealing water for his almond farm. :ROFLMAO:

Either way, I think watering the grass at a golf course is a waste if you live in a drought stricken area with limited water resources already.

This is the other side of that anti golf course coin.

I Googled it too coincidentally, and had a good laugh at the sources of the articles for them not being good for the environment. I guess there are a lot of golf haters, lol. We have a few beautiful golf courses on L.I. with a lot of trees and rolling hills. My bet is they're good for the environment, a lot better than lithium mines. How this derailed into golf courses being bad has me scratching my head.

• Groundwater
  • Recycled water
The lawns and landscape keep the area cooler and the plants take carbon from the atmosphere and put it in the ground

Back