Is the recommended 0-20 bad for engine life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes people post random nonsense because they have no real understanding of the physics or technical issues being discussed, but are driven to post regardless.
Again, I’m unsure what you’re trying to convey. It seems you are skilled at being vague enough that you escape critique for leveling personal attacks. Can we just stick to the format where everyone shares their opinion politely and moves along?

The tighter tolerances theory does not make sense when the same engine in Mexico and other parts of the world listing BOTH 5w-30 and 0w-20 as acceptable viscosities.
I agree that doesn’t make sense, but I think the manufacturers have a certain number in their mind “we want the engine to last this long” and if they can achieve that AND gain efficiency with a thinner oil it’s just a win win. I don’t know what that number is, but I’ve heard some people speculate that they only care to get the engine through warranty. That sounds like nonsense because no rational company would shoot themselves in the foot with bad publicity and loss of repeat business by doing this. I think these new thin oils are a lot better than people think

Again, I’m unsure what you’re trying to convey. It seems you are skilled at being vague enough that you escape critique for leveling personal attacks. Can we just stick to the format where everyone shares their opinion politely and moves along?
I’ve been here like 2 weeks and already see that staying on topic and being polite go out the window when a certain someone jumps into a thread. But that certain someone will definitely tell you that your question has been asked 30 times before and then talk to you like an idiot

He never met an engine he didn't blow up 😆🤔

IMG_6202.jpeg

I agree that doesn’t make sense, but I think the manufacturers have a certain number in their mind “we want the engine to last this long” and if they can achieve that AND gain efficiency with a thinner oil it’s just a win win. I don’t know what that number is, but I’ve heard some people speculate that they only care to get the engine through warranty. That sounds like nonsense because no rational company would shoot themselves in the foot with bad publicity and loss of repeat business by doing this. I think these new thin oils are a lot better than people think

I am sure tolerances specs have a range of oil viscosity that is acceptable, not a single number. It largely depends on the engine, some engines do not dilute oil with gas as others, for those thinner oil is fine.
If you put Xw-30 and it comes out like Xw-20, you end up with the same grade that manufacture recommended.

I’ve been here like 2 weeks and already see that staying on topic and being polite go out the window when a certain someone jumps into a thread. But that certain someone will definitely tell you that your question has been asked 30 times before and then talk to you like an idiot
When I start making posts about honey you’ll have a point.

Do you have a list of those “outright lies” yet?

I am sure tolerances specs have a range of oil viscosity that is acceptable, not a single number. It largely depends on the engine, some engines do not dilute oil with gas as others, for those thinner oil is fine.
If you put Xw-30 and it comes out like Xw-20, you end up with the same grade that manufacture recommended.
I feel like all DI engines dilute more than was the norm before, but oils are also designed with this in mind. A 0w-20 might be a 16 by the time that maintenance minder comes on, but the manufacturer knows this and if it didn’t pass their testing they wouldn’t say a 0w-20 is fine to use. And again, I don’t believe for a second that they’re doing this for CAFE credits or whatever, knowing that the engines are going to fail prematurely compared to if they had specced something thicker, it’s just not prudent for a business that wants to make money, and of course some companies ran into unexpected issues and it cost them big bucks to fix and a lot of bad publicity, which again is more incentive for them NOT to make mistakes again. DI and thin oils are not new and today are likely more reliable than they’ve ever been

Trust me bro

I feel like all DI engines dilute more than was the norm before, but oils are also designed with this in mind.
Depends on the engine, for example big difference between DI Camry and Honda turbo DI in the amount of fuel it produces (over 5%+ on many UOA).
I do not think Honda designed their engines to run with 5% oil dilution.

Depends on the engine, for example big difference between DI Camry and Honda turbo DI in the amount of fuel it produces (over 5%+ on many UOA).
I do not think Honda designed their engines to run with 5% oil dilution.
Yeah there is zero evidence that an engine is designed with that in mind. If there is, then let’s see it rather than just yet another unfounded statement.

Yeah there is zero evidence that an engine is designed with that in mind. If there is, then let’s see it rather than just yet another unfounded statement.

agreed. If it was the case, we would have seen by now a technical paper from Honda that they came up with a ground breaking design that allows engines to run reliably with high fuel dilution while the rest of the industry considers its abnormal and cause for excessive wear.

Honda knows about this issue but being quiet because they can not easily resolve it, and I am sure in the next gen engines we will see them quietly address the dilution issue by doing something similar to Toyota

Back in 1985, while going to engineering school, we had equations and test questions to work through where bearing clearances needed to be matched to the proper viscosity of oil. This is NOT new stuff. It's basic engineering. Doubt if you want, but this is not a subject open for debate.

I do not think Honda designed their engines to run with 5% oil dilution
“many UOAs” obviously it’s not as big of a boogeyman as some say since here we are 5 or so years later and the engine is still used in numerous Honda and now Acura products. I’m not implying it’s a good thing, but not a big deal for most people

“many UOAs” obviously it’s not as big of a boogeyman as some say since here we are 5 or so years later and the engine is still used in numerous Honda and now Acura products. I’m not implying it’s a good thing, but not a big deal for most people

Ok, let time be the judge (10-15yrs from now). does any of that mean you should not use 5w-30 instead?

Ok, let time be the judge (10-15yrs from now). does any of that mean you should not use 5w-30 instead?
Def give it time, the engine has been around quite a few years already but we’ll see longer term too. With Honda moving so much towards hybrids and the general push for electric, who knows where we will be in that time. And no that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use that, I’m making the switch myself just to try and see what happens.

I think these new thin oils are a lot better than people think
My tuned & partial bolt-on 3.5EB is likely pushing a little over 500rwhp on E30 fuel, and OEM calls for 5w30 synblend. I run HPL No VII Euro 5w30 for more than double the OCI than most on the board and I have not care in the world that HPL won’t protect my engine. No need to increase the viscosity when the correct oil maintains proper HT/HS throughout its life and the additives are properly dosed for maximum performance.

I’m mailing a 14.9k in-service sample out tomorrow (nearing 23k on a Fram Endurance 10575) to Wearcheck so I hope to have the results before this thread gets locked. Or the end of the week, whichever comes first 🤣

Plain bearings are feed by oil under pressure, and the bearing clearance is well established based on age-old equations. Tighter clearances require thinner oil. Try to stuff a thick oil into a bearing with tight clearance, and the bearing will fail.

Probably a quip. What's happening to your engine way below freezing with
500-1000 cSt then? Stagnant oil despite it's 0W-20? Ridiculous.

No source provided, no correspding explanation. Just frivolous.

Perhaps time to close this discussion. This forum had some better in the past.

Probably a quip. What's happening to your engine way below freezing with
500-1000 cSt then? Stagnant oil despite it's 0W-20? Ridiculous.

No source provided, no correspding explanation. Just frivolous.

Perhaps time to close this discussion. This forum had some better in the past.

Maybe just close the whole forum for new discussions because someone told me there have already been threads about everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back