Is the recommended 0-20 bad for engine life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What were your oil temps towing?
No way to look at the oil temps in a Silverado half-ton-at least in a 2018 that I had. Transmission temps were usually about 100 degrees over ambient temperature-but would cool right back down on the downhill side.
Gets hot here in the summertime in Utah-over heating when towing was a nonissue.

I don’t agree with that. How can that be accurate when there’s vehicles with 2-300k ran on a 0 or 5w20 oil?
But that's exactly the case. The fact that they also provide acceptable engine life is almost a by-product or side effect.

This has been the case ever since they switched to 5w-xx oils back in the 90s/00s. They were specifically chosen for boosting fleet milage averages.

Old coworker has almost 170K on a 06 Fit on nothing but 0W-20 and 5W-20. Hondas regularly hit 100K and above on 0W-20, so do many Toyotas as an anecdote.

On an engine made for “thin” oils, a bit more attention has to made to the bearing surfaces. Which is why I have no problem using 0W-20 on a Japanese engine for the most part. Hearing about GM LS/LT-based truck engines and Hemis with AFM/DOD on 0W-20 with wiped lifters and cams makes me think the engine needs to be designed for it.

It depends on the engine and driving conditions :unsure:

For example, I wouldn't use 0w20 in a turbo :cautious:

But in most modern non-Euro NA cars, 0w20 is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back