Impala transmission problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 impala limited 3.6 with 44 thousand miles on it. For the most part I've always driven older cars and hot rods as my daily drivers. Recently my grandfather passed away and I was given the opportunity to buy this car cheap, so I decided I would to have a "reliable" car when I need it. Well I've put about 2000 miles on it and remembered why I dislike newer cars. The biggest issue is the transmission started making a weird noise while shifting into 5th. At first I thought it was a heat shield rattling but unfortunately realized it was coming from the transmission. It only does it when it's warmed up but now it's more pronounced and will do it while shifting into 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. It's not slipping that I can notice. Just makes a crazy buzzing/rattling sound, almost like a bearing spinning too fast would make. The sound is very similar to a heat shield rattle but maybe a little faster frequency. And its definitely not the heat shield. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

I've pretty much decided to replace this transmission with a junkyard transmission with 29 thousand on it. It's from a trustworthy place that i've dealt with before. So my second question is can this engine and trans be pulled from the top in one piece? Seperated? Or only by dropping the whole cradle? I don't have a lift but I'm mechanically inclined enough to do the job. Just can't find any info about pulling one of these engines and trans. I've swaped many engines and transmissions. I have an overhead chain hoist and cherry pickers. Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:
Doesn't it have a 5/60 powertrain warranty? Even if it is a little past it, you might get consideration or coverage under the emissions warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Seems extreme without a diagnosis.

+1

Originally Posted by NO2
Doesn't it have a 5/60 powertrain warranty? Even if it is a little past it, you might get consideration or coverage under the emissions warranty.

+1

The 5 year warranty expired in November.

I'm gonna have a local transmission place drive it sometime this week and see what they say. I already know it's something that isn't a simple fix. But I'll see what they say. It's gotten WAY worse within a few hundred miles. Just drove it again tonight and the sound sometimes stays the whole time it's in fifth gear now. If you get on the throttle through the gears though it doesn't do it.

The used tranny with 29 thousand miles is 375. So with parts, ac charge, and a flash/re-learn I'll probably still be under 600-650.

The flex plate could have a crack in it, unlikely but possible.
I'd pull the pan off and see what's in the fluid, pan and filter. Proper diagnosis is easier than throwing parts at it.

Mikey, do a fluid change before tossing that transmission. Try putting a quart of Lucus in it see if it fixes it. Theres no reason for a AT to fail at such early age. Maybe its just a characteristic of that year? I sure wouldn't be just tossing a transmission without at least a semi professional diagnosis under a small problem like you describe.

A 2014 with 44K and owned by your grandad, it should be in good shape. Check for transmission codes and check the engine mounts carefully. Take this to a good dealer if you cant come up with anything, they can use the scan tool to diagnose faulty components. Its way to early to toss it out for a bone yard unit only find out it does the same thing because of a bad mount or something similar.

PM member clinebarger and ask him, he is a pro with transmissions, he will give you best advise.

Originally Posted by Mikey81

I'm gonna have a local transmission place drive it sometime this week and see what they say. I already know it's something that isn't a simple fix. But I'll see what they say. It's gotten WAY worse within a few hundred miles. Just drove it again tonight and the sound sometimes stays the whole time it's in fifth gear now. If you get on the throttle through the gears though it doesn't do it.

The used tranny with 29 thousand miles is 375. So with parts, ac charge, and a flash/re-learn I'll probably still be under 600-650.

I would still check with GovMo. They might give you some goodwill here considering it's only a few months past the warranty date. It doesn't hurt to ask. Being a 2014 and with that low mileage is way too early to have this happen.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Mikey81

I would still check with GovMo. They might give you some goodwill here considering it's only a few months past the warranty date. It doesn't hurt to ask. Being a 2014 and with that low mileage is way too early to have this happen.

What is gov.mo?

There's definitely something seriously wrong with this transmission, nothing that a fluid change is going to fix. You can hear it echoing off close buildings and guardrails etc. as it shifts. It's not a subtle sound that you have to listen for. I'm gonna try to get it to transmission shop tomorrow if I have time to leave work, and see what they say. My buddy is the manager of the body shop at a gmc dealership, I'm gonna ask him tonight what he thinks I should do. I worked there with him for quite a few years, which is another reason I have an aversion towards dealerships.

I wish I had as much faith in manufacturers as you guys thinking that transmissions don't fail under 50 thousand miles. I definitely agree they shouldn't, but I've seen it too many times.

Just to add to all the above advice, I wouldn't touch this AT until I had GM dealer at least diagnose it. With no trouble lights on the dash or noticeable issues other than sound, this is an odd one.

$650 all-in to have a bone yard unit installed? Parts and labor? Wow,

Last edited:
I have done quite a few fwd transmissions and cradle comes out. You have to get engine holder to keep engine in place. I even done couple at home without lift. Not ideal without lift but can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back