Hyundai Ioniq 5 N

I think Hyundai finally got my number. What a stupidly awesome fun vehicle. I still wish it was more of an actual hatch than a crossover, but fun, styling, and speed is all here. I don't care how stupid the simulated sound and twin clutch stuff is here since it seems to be so well integrated. I think it may just bridge the gap between what I want and where cars are going. @Ws6 Hyundai's approach is starting to make sense to me.

Just stupid, stupid fun.

If this was a hybrid, I would be mildly interested. I love the retro 80s design.

If this was a hybrid, I would be mildly interested. I love the retro 80s design.
The styling is a huge part of what attracted me. I looked at the regular Ioniq 5 a while back and wished it had what the EV6 GT had. There just wasn't enough performance in the top Ioniq 5 for me at the time. This one does that and takes it a step further. It messes with my head looking at this because it clearly looks like a performance hatchback. I was really surprised how big it is in person. The proportions are just so good at every angle other than just being a bit big.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that this was the main inspiration of this vehicle.
OIP.ES9TGrOboiuvaj4GExrz6wHaFj

Im not sure if I am loving it. Kind of reminds me of a modern version of my 1977 Honda Accord (which I loved at the time)
Ive seen a number of them on the road, guess I will get used to the looks. It's the public at large that needs to like the look of any car.
I know in these forums performance is key but not as important to the public. I think... but it could be the 5 is produced to appeal to the performance crowd. Got me... someone said it best... .the "retro crowd" ... sometimes that is short lived.

Im not sure if I am loving it. Kind of reminds me of a modern version of my 1977 Honda Accord (which I loved at the time)
Ive seen a number of them on the road, guess I will get used to the looks. It's the public at large that needs to like the look of any car.
I know in these forums performance is key but not as important to the public. I think... but it could be the 5 is produced to appeal to the performance crowd. Got me... someone said it best... .the "retro crowd" ... sometimes that is short lived.
I think I'm just the right age to be attracted to the '80s design. It has something that doesn't blend in with traffic which is something I feel I've always strived for in different ways. I'll be that weird guy having a midlife crisis in a loud, obnoxious version of an EV.

If the average consumer doesn't find it appealing there's a much better chance I'll find something I like in it. The price starting at $67k is a bit troublesome to be honest. I think that development money went into the right spots though.

I like it.

Another 75k vehicle..... Meh. 🥴

Hopefully it doesnt qualify for any subsidies.. its a toy not a car that we need to use federal tax dollars to get out there on the road.

I think I'm just the right age to be attracted to the '80s design. It has something that doesn't blend in with traffic which is something I feel I've always strived for in different ways. I'll be that weird guy having a midlife crisis in a loud, obnoxious version of an EV.

If the average consumer doesn't find it appealing there's a much better chance I'll find something I like in it. The price starting at $67k is a bit troublesome to be honest. I think that development money went into the right spots though.
I had no clue the starting price was in that range or I would not have commented at all because no automobile I buy is in that price range and if it was, they would need to be able to tow a boat with a factory tow package. 🙃
I look back at my 1977 Honda Accord hatchback and it was a blast as well as a bargain price. Early production models did have issues with front fenders rusting, which were replaced by Honda.

Future years I had a Honda CRX and the VW GTI was also one in contention that I liked.

In today’s world these fun cars are so outrageously priced. I just can’t get into it.
I guess horsepower ratings and performance are off the charts compared to back then but with the associated pricing, I don’t know. It’s just a New World out there. Maybe I’ve been left behind ?

I like it.

Another 75k vehicle..... Meh. 🥴

Hopefully it doesnt qualify for any subsidies.. its a toy not a car that we need to use federal tax dollars to get out there on the road.
It's just another powerful EV with some clever programming this time. It's a crossover so it's under the $80k cap if it has enough US content to qualify.

Unfortunately even at $67k base I'll end up in something else. I'm not going to pay that much for a vehicle. For that price I could buy a new GTI and then buy enough gas to drive it around the earth 11 times. That's 275k miles. This might be another I'm glad it exists, but I'm not the buyer type of vehicles. That or I need to make peace with this being the price point for this type of vehicle.

I had no clue the starting price was in that range or I would not have commented at all because no automobile I buy is in that price range and if it was, they would need to be able to tow a boat with a factory tow package. 🙃
I look back at my 1977 Honda Accord hatchback and it was a blast as well as a bargain price. Early production models did have issues with front fenders rusting, which were replaced by Honda.

Future years I had a Honda CRX and the VW GTI was also one in contention that I liked.

In today’s world these fun cars are so outrageously priced. I just can’t get into it.
I guess horsepower ratings and performance are off the charts compared to back then but with the associated pricing, I don’t know. It’s just a New World out there. Maybe I’ve been left behind ?
Even then I'll take the truck that's $15k less than that to tow the boat. $67k isn't my price point. It was only 7 years ago I bought a new truck for $41k. That vehicle in that trim with those options doesn't exist for less than $55k now.

Bargain and fun is basically dead unless you consider $35k for a small hatch with a little pep to be a bargain. That to me is still a premium vehicle. Value for money isn't kicking in for me there even if I'm happy to buy it.

Even then I'll take the truck that's $15k less than that to tow the boat. $67k isn't my price point. It was only 7 years ago I bought a new truck for $41k. That vehicle in that trim with those options doesn't exist for less than $55k now.

Bargain and fun is basically dead unless you consider $35k for a small hatch with a little pep to be a bargain. That to me is still a premium vehicle. Value for money isn't kicking in for me there even if I'm happy to buy it.
67k + delivery +TTL = 75k+options extra
They should be subsidizing Bolts and their equivalent not 600hp toys. IMO. If you can afford a 75k+ EV toy you dont need a gov. handout.

We need The equivalent of an electric elantra or Trailblazer at under $30k if you want to replace gas vehicles

67k + delivery +TTL = 75k+options extra
They should be subsidizing Bolts and their equivalent not 600hp toys. IMO. If you can afford a 75k+ EV toy you dont need a gov. handout.

We need The equivalent of an electric elantra or Trailblazer at under $30k if you want to replace gas vehicles
We aren't ever going to get those things. They'll just stop making the cheaper vehicles. It's been happening for a long time now.

As crazy this may sound yet I think we have to acknowledge all these manufacturers are having trouble with trying to keep down the cost of electric vehicles. They are just plain too expensive to produce at the current time.

With that said, I think it would’ve been a grand slam if Tesla could have figured out a way to come out with a low cost, first class product in the model 2 vision at that low-cost they were projecting. All the research and development into that truck maybe they would’ve found a way to the model two instead that would have knocked the marketplace upside down.

I think the company that does this, such as something like the early accord hatchback, CRX, GTI in that bargain price range would see their product all over the roads in this country but I guess it’s just not possible

As crazy this may sound yet I think we have to acknowledge all these manufacturers are having trouble with trying to keep down the cost of electric vehicles. They are just plain too expensive to produce at the current time.

With that said, I think it would’ve been a grand slam if Tesla could have figured out a way to come out with a low cost, first class product in the model 2 vision at that low-cost they were projecting. All the research and development into that truck maybe they would’ve found a way to the model two instead that would have knocked the marketplace upside down.

I think the company that does this, such as something like the early accord hatchback, CRX, GTI in that bargain price range would see their product all over the roads in this country but I guess it’s just not possible
You just described what I want exactly. Make a basic affordable one and then make performance model off of that one for some extra money and a little more range and I'm a buyer. I do want to commend Hyundai for what they've done here, but it's bigger than what I want and more than I want to pay. I expect a fast Model 2 to cost $50k, but I expect it to beat the pants off the $47k Golf R for that price. If those things happen, I'm a buyer.

Until then I'm not winning the stoplight drag race in my modified front drive hatchback. I don't have the traction for it, let alone the power of all the super EVs. Beyond that I'm not into the teenage antics that get me pulled over like that. I've got to say I like the goofy things the Ioniq 5 N does to emulate what my GTI does naturally while making nearly twice the horsepower my car does as it sits now is kind of cool. Realistically it's overkill for a backroad blast, but it offers more than just putting the pedal to the floor.

Back