How accurate is the indicated MPG in your vehicle?

Is it just coincidence the mpg meters are normally optimistic and not the other way around? Hmmm
No coincidence in my opinion. I find that they are reliably optimistic by varying amounts among different brands compared to what is calculated at the pump.

Reactions: twX
Most of my cars have indicated 3%-4% optimistic; the most accurate have been the my F22 M235i and my W205 C43. On most BMWs you can access a service menu that allows you to adjust the computation factors, but the discrepancies never bothered me enough to do anything about it.

My 2015 Focus display is about 3-5 mpg optimistic. The car gets an average 41.7 actual mpg over 3 years of tracking, the dash always shows better at fill up time.

On my ‘15 F150 it’s typically about 7% optimistic. The mph calculation is adjustable on my generation of F150. Set to 930/1000, it’s usually, but not always, within .1-.2 mpg.

The one in my Acura is usually just about spot on. The Ranger is usually a mpg(ish) optimistic.

Although, oddly, when we're towing the camper and getting 10-11mpg it is usually closer to realistic, might just be that Ford can't calculate lower fuel flows or something.

Our truck is as much as 10% optimistic, but with long trips heavy towing, it gets pretty close to actual. 300k miles on injectors likely means they spit more at idle and light throttle than the computer thinks. It scales back duration at idle to compensate but I don't think it's smart enough to know if it's due to load or injector map errors. Under heavy towing I suspect the error at low injection quantities gets lost in the grand scheme. 300k on injectors, I can't complain.

Our mazda will generally accept about two gallons of fuel after the first click. That level of variability makes it hard to compare calculated vs readout from tank to tank. You do a <10 gallon fillup and wind up with a >20% error...

Our toyota 2gr is spot on, within the noise of fillup variability.

My 2012 is consistently about 1 MPG optimistic, so it reports 15.9 when actual is 14.9. My '06 of the same vehicle was usually within a couple tenths of a MPG.

My Gen Coupe was off quite a bit and so were the odo and speedo. I put one inch taller tires on it and the speedo is near dead on. Odo off by 5% and the mpg is usually half a gallon high. Much better than it was originally.

Mine was off as it always stated 21mpg average and I hand calculated 20. I set tire size for vehicle and over last month it reads 20 mpg average.

BMW is +\- 0.1 mpg if say half tank or more is filled.

Lexus is +\- 0.3.

Buick is way off, -2 mpg or so and the more is filled the lower the amount it is off, if we fill 19 gallons it’s maybe -1mpg.

Somebody out there knows how they are actually computing the fuel consumed. Because the Buick math is correct, just that the gallons consumed reading is always off, ie higher. If I blink my eyes incorrectly suddenly another 0.1 gas was consumed.

My buddy said Lincoln Navigator was way off to the negative too.

My CX-50 is about 1-1.5MPG low. Constantly underrates itself.
Heh. That's the opposite of my CX-5, which is almost always overly optimistic. Its most recent track for the tank was off by something like +3mpg.

The random mixture of city and highway driving I tend to do throws mine out of whack, or at least that's my impression.

Back