GMC 4.3l V6 Sierra K1500 Chevron 5w-30 2k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 GMC Sierra 4.3l V6 4x4 K1500 truck (new to me last year so first UOA to check all is okay) 5sp

2000 miles over many months with super short trips mostly during the winter. Sits outside only and saw below zero here and there. No make up oil, Chevron 5w-30 oil with a ACPF52 filter.

Code:

ALUMINUM 1

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 8

COPPER 2

LEAD 0

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 376

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 49

SILICON 6

SODIUM 2

CALCIUM 1515

MAGNESIUM 4

PHOSPHORUS 606

ZINC 727

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 55.9

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.05

Flashpoint in °F 400

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0.2

Blackstone's comments:

No problems showed up in the initial sample from your GM 4.3L engine. All wear read well below averages for this type of engine, which is a very good indication of normal wearing parts. Universal averages show normal wear after 4,200 miles on the oil. You easily beat those numbers after 2,000 miles on the oil, so you could run longer oil changes if you wanted. The viscosity read a little low, but that's not hurting anything. At 121,000 total miles, this engine appears to be doing extremely well. The low viscosity isn’t an issue. Nice first report.

I forgot to tell them what oil I used so they thought I used 10w30 Pennzoil like the Subaru I sent in the same time. Also messed up on the miles but I'll get that fixed.

My plan is 6 month OCIs with 5w-30 and filter change each time.

No TBN done.

Bill

Those engines are engines are very tough. I abused mine, orange Frams and cheap oil both left way too long, maybe 10 oil changes in 220000km. Mechanically it was still running good when I traded it in! Don't think that plan will cause it any problems Bill.

Looks like you got a good engine on your hands, Bill.
thumbsup2.gif

As said above, high moly count. I had been under the impression that Havoline DS was the same, but it's moly level isn't in the 300's, based on the latest info I've seen.

Too bad Chevron's not readily available on the east coast (not that I've seen), looks like a solid dino at a good price.

UOA and plan looks good.

Thanks for the replies.
cheers3.gif

With the short trips all the time and a pretty good stash of $1.99 a quart Chevron I think the 6 month timed OCI will be just fine.

I'm going to do for April/Oct. So the mix in the truck will be a little shorter by a month (I changed this last month, just sent it in with the Subaru sample)

Bill

Thank god Oreilly bought out CSK. They have awesome oil deals. I as well stocked up a truckload of $1.99 Chevron Supreme.

Looks like you got a good running 4.3L Bill; keep an eye on those intake gaskets though.

I liked Checkers much more than O'Reilly. Gone is the 49-69 cent a quart oils with rebates.

But since they are gone, $1.99 is the best deal now.

I'd figure that if the engine was going to have a intake gasket it would have now. Its going to have a better life now than it did when it was with the last owner.
21.gif

Cross my fingers.
48.gif

I had a k1500 ('98) with the LIM gasket failure. It showed up at around 220k km (112k miles). I had the 350 small block which is the same engine as yours (they just cut off the front two cylinders).

I'd probably UOA once a year, or even use the test strips just to be sure.

Prob sound advice. Looking at 2 oil changes at less than $40 total a $25 UOA is a little expensive, but since that engine is known I'll do either the strips or UOA it.

LOVE the engine / truck so I want it to last.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back