From 255/50 R20 to 265/60 R18

My Atlas came with 255/50 R20 tires, Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S. Superb on road performance. However, they were hard and transferred a lot of impact noise etc. when I got a car in January 2023, soon I got set of 18” wheels and snows 235/65 R18. Same 30” size, same rpms to single one (both 672). Car rode MUCH better, though 235’s felt bit “undertired” when pushing through corners on I70 going to ski.
So, last end of April I put back 20’s, and in June hit the road to Tahoe, Yosemite, LA, LV, Grand Canyon back to the Springs. Up until AZ I was thinking 20’s might not be bad. When I hit I40 in AZ on my way to Flagstaff, the road was so bad, i was thinking: these tires must go.
So, this winter, neighbor was selling Michelin Defender LTX M/S with some 10k miles. Still have 11/32. I never bought used tires, but for $350, worth a try. And I know him, not abusing car etc.
so, today I took off 235’s snow’s and installed 265’s. They are 30.5”, but Atlas already comes with those sizes, 265/45 R21 (30.4”) and on Base Camp 245/70 R17 (30.5). Original size (base) is 245/60 R18 (29.7”).
Here is how it looks with 20” wheels:
IMG_1815.jpeg
IMG_1851.jpeg

This is today:
IMG_3045.jpeg
IMG_3044.jpeg

We do occasional gravel, light off road to get to some vista places to light up grill or do some biking. Tried some gravel with 20” at Tahoe, horrible. I was afraid I will puncture tire and then get in serious trouble getting stuck at some mountain with two small kids and no signal.
These ride super smooth (sidewall is 6.3” compared to 5” on 20s or 6” on my winters 235’s). But, winters are Bridgestone, and on its own bit rough. Also, while these Defenders weigh 38lbs compared to 33lbs for Pirelli 20’s, wheel is much lighter and I think I am at same weight, if not bit lighter.
I hope I get 3-4yrs with these, and probably that will be possible bcs. snow tires.

My XT4 has similar sized options for tires and wheels, happy to have the 18"s

My Atlas came with 255/50 R20 tires, Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S. Superb on road performance. However, they were hard and transferred a lot of impact noise etc. when I got a car in January 2023, soon I got set of 18” wheels and snows 235/65 R18. Same 30” size, same rpms to single one (both 672). Car rode MUCH better, though 235’s felt bit “undertired” when pushing through corners on I70 going to ski.
So, last end of April I put back 20’s, and in June hit the road to Tahoe, Yosemite, LA, LV, Grand Canyon back to the Springs. Up until AZ I was thinking 20’s might not be bad. When I hit I40 in AZ on my way to Flagstaff, the road was so bad, i was thinking: these tires must go.
So, this winter, neighbor was selling Michelin Defender LTX M/S with some 10k miles. Still have 11/32. I never bought used tires, but for $350, worth a try. And I know him, not abusing car etc.
so, today I took off 235’s snow’s and installed 265’s. They are 30.5”, but Atlas already comes with those sizes, 265/45 R21 (30.4”) and on Base Camp 245/70 R17 (30.5). Original size (base) is 245/60 R18 (29.7”).
Here is how it looks with 20” wheels:
View attachment 213897View attachment 213898

This is today:
View attachment 213899View attachment 213900

We do occasional gravel, light off road to get to some vista places to light up grill or do some biking. Tried some gravel with 20” at Tahoe, horrible. I was afraid I will puncture tire and then get in serious trouble getting stuck at some mountain with two small kids and no signal.
These ride super smooth (sidewall is 6.3” compared to 5” on 20s or 6” on my winters 235’s). But, winters are Bridgestone, and on its own bit rough. Also, while these Defenders weigh 38lbs compared to 33lbs for Pirelli 20’s, wheel is much lighter and I think I am at same weight, if not bit lighter.
I hope I get 3-4yrs with these, and probably that will be possible bcs. snow tires.
Same size and tire I put on my wife's Pilot. Both of much happier as compared to the factory Bridgestone Dueler Sport (245-60-18).

Keep checking and you could probably find a second set of 18" rims for the snows. You've done it for many years already so you know you might cover mount/balance cost in 1 season. You could also sell the 20's for $$.

Does Atlas have full size spare? You could toss one under it so better if needed vs donut.

How many miles on the Atlas now? Any issues? I was looking at other 3 row while at car show last week. Not many that are actually comfortable for adults for 3rd row. Atlas was one of the few my son and I liked (Tahoe and Expedition were others).

Neighbor rented an Atlas on vacation and it broke down on them in mountains (can happen to anything). My Pilot is going to dealer Tuesday for water leak issues. With my own issues with it, probably won't keep after extended warranty expires unless some things get replaced before then.

245-60-18 vs 265-60-18 on Pilot
pilot tire1.jpg

1713011526815.jpg

pilotwheels.jpg

Last edited:
Same size and tire I put on my wife's Pilot. Both of much happier as compared to the factory Bridgestone Dueler Sport (245-60-18).

Keep checking and you could probably find a second set of 18" rims for the snows. You've done it for many years already so you know you might cover mount/balance cost in 1 season. You could also sell the 20's for $$.

Does Atlas have full size spare? You could toss one under it so better if needed vs donut.

How many miles on the Atlas now? Any issues? I was looking at other 3 row while at car show last week. Not many that are actually comfortable for adults for 3rd row. Atlas was one of the few my son and I liked (Tahoe and Expedition were others).

Neighbor rented an Atlas on vacation and it broke down on them in mountains (can happen to anything). My Pilot is going to dealer Tuesday for water leak issues. With my own issues with it, probably won't keep after extended warranty expires unless some things get replaced before then.

245-60-18 vs 265-60-18 on Pilot
View attachment 213917
View attachment 213919
View attachment 213918
I already got second set. I sold 20’s, found within few days same style as these. However, I used wheels I had winter set already on bcs. bit better shape than one I found few months back. Now have to put snows on that newly purchased set. It has Ironman tires on it, 245/60 R18, good condition, so probably can get some money for them.

As for Atlas, I bought it 01/2023, with 15,000 miles, now I am at 42,000. Absolutely no single issue and two UOA I did were exceptional.
Only issue is windshield. For whatever reason it is sensitive to rocks (salt, traction material they use here) and I just replaced windshield 4th time. In talks with guys at Safelite they say it is normal (and in CO windshields are an issue) and thickness is same. Only brand that has thinner windshields is Subaru, and they are like camping at their place. But, I drive BMW much more than Atlas, and I only get chips. Same was with Sienna or X5 I had. That makes me think that something is with an angle of the windshield.

Also, no Atlas doesn’t have full size. While Atlas is definitely not off road vehicle, it is somehow popular in overland community. So, there is lots of talk about full size spare. Some tried cutting safety bar where donut is, but they only managed to get larger donut in. Also, I have OE subwoofer as part of spare assembly. That thing provides serious kick, so would not like to get rid of it.

Bigger is not better. It's more money to the car seller. But it is NOT better for the buyer. Unless you like rougher ride and lower mpg. Then bigger is better.

Bigger is not better. It's more money to the car seller. But it is NOT better for the buyer. Unless you like rougher ride and lower mpg. Then bigger is better.
Did you actually read specifications I listed?
This set up is still lighter that previous one. It provides better ride, less impact on suspension. Now, yes, put LT tires or some mediocre regular tire that weighs 48lbs instead of 38, and you will get worse mpg.
Going from 255 to 265 won’t have meaningful impact on mpg. More impact will have lower unsprung weight.
As for buyer/seller, I don’t understand your point.

edyvw
Congratulations!
You made a Huge upgrade!
Pirelli Scorpion tires are complete Garbage, and Michelin Defenders are in my opinion the best Highway Tires made.

edyvw
Congratulations!
You made a Huge upgrade!
Pirelli Scorpion tires are complete Garbage, and Michelin Defenders are in my opinion the best Highway Tires made.
Scorpion Zero was actually very good on road. When it comes to that, I didn’t have any complaints. But, anything outside, even flat gravel road, they struggle. Than, 5” sidewall is really problematic here in the West where anything outside the road are rocks etc.
I went Defender as I need good hwy tire, but also tire that has strong sidewalls so it doesn’t get punctured easily. I know folks that do some off roading with them that is way beyond Atlas’ capabilities. I didn’t want to go mild A/T tire as I am losing hwy capability and adding unnecessary unsprung weight and it is still questionable are they stronger than Defenders.
Only other tire I considered is Continental Terrain Contact H/T.

Did you actually read specifications I listed?
This set up is still lighter that previous one. It provides better ride, less impact on suspension. Now, yes, put LT tires or some mediocre regular tire that weighs 48lbs instead of 38, and you will get worse mpg.
Going from 255 to 265 won’t have meaningful impact on mpg. More impact will have lower unsprung weight.
As for buyer/seller, I don’t understand your point.
You apparently didn't get any of it. The 20's you took off (bigger) and replaced with 18's (smaller) are heavier. They give a worse ride. They use more fuel. Hence my comments.

"Bigger is not better. It's more money to the car seller. But it is NOT better for the buyer. Unless you like rougher ride and lower mpg. Then bigger is better."

I don't know how to say it more clearly, bigger wheel/tire worse ride worse mpg. As for money, the car manufacturer/dealer get more money by upselling bigger wheel/tire.

You apparently didn't get any of it. The 20's you took off (bigger) and replaced with 18's (smaller) are heavier. They give a worse ride. They use more fuel. Hence my comments.

"Bigger is not better. It's more money to the car seller. But it is NOT better for the buyer. Unless you like rougher ride and lower mpg. Then bigger is better."

I don't know how to say it more clearly, bigger wheel/tire worse ride worse mpg. As for money, the car manufacturer/dealer get more money by upselling bigger wheel/tire.
Ok, I see. Sorry, I was thinking you are referring to one I put.
So several things.
1. I wanted specifically SEL-Premium package as it has seriously good Fender audio system and folding mirrors (a must bcs. garage). SEL-P only comes with 20” or 21”. So, I anticipated I will do this, at least for winter set.
2. Now, 20” has its advantages. If I was living in Las Vegas (we visit LV 2-3 times a year as my in-laws are there, and roads are really good) and only drove on asphalt, I would keep 20”. They are very stable, they handle really good, and it doesn’t matter vehicle, I will push handling capabilities to the max. My winter set has signs of too hard of cornering. So, 20” are really good there. VW could put lighter wheel, but this is appliance category not BMW X7 category. As for price of tires, 255/50 R20 are actually cheaper few $ compared to 265/60 R18.
3. But, I don’t live there and I don’t stick only on pavement. Colorado Springs has issue with super fast melting snow and than water freezes overnight under asphalt, and every April looks like someone bombed the roads. And I go off road. That is why I sold minivan. I needed clearance (well, it was troublesome van too). And lack of clearance already prevented us from going to see for example Escalante caves.
I think this summer I might change springs and add 1” lift, which would put me at around 9.3” of clearance.

So, 20” has its advantages, but not for me.

Last edited:
This goes back many years but going to school in Adirondacks had same rocks/sand/salt issues. I was doing at least 1 windshield/year with Safelite. on one change the shop had a PPG and Safelite as he wasn't sure if I had glass coverage and Safelite was cheaper.

He showed me on the glass for my car that the Safelite had many small waves on edge, not smooth arc. According to him each "wave" created a stress point that if hit then cracked easier. He used the PPG on mine. I think I went 6 years and that included some good chips including one of those BB impact looking ones, never split. Lots of light chips sand blasting but no cracks.

Worst I ever did was 3 days on a Safelite. New windshield, road trip, rock, done. They also did a really crappy seal job on the first one so I was going back anyway. I showed manager before I left and he scheduled for the following week at that time.

Where does a flat go if ever need replacing? maybe build up a slight false floor? Room for some storage around it?

This goes back many years but going to school in Adirondacks had same rocks/sand/salt issues. I was doing at least 1 windshield/year with Safelite. on one change the shop had a PPG and Safelite as he wasn't sure if I had glass coverage and Safelite was cheaper.

He showed me on the glass for my car that the Safelite had many small waves on edge, not smooth arc. According to him each "wave" created a stress point that if hit then cracked easier. He used the PPG on mine. I think I went 6 years and that included some good chips including one of those BB impact looking ones, never split. Lots of light chips sand blasting but no cracks.

Worst I ever did was 3 days on a Safelite. New windshield, road trip, rock, done. They also did a really crappy seal job on the first one so I was going back anyway. I showed manager before I left and he scheduled for the following week at that time.

Where does a flat go if ever need replacing? maybe build up a slight false floor? Room for some storage around it?
Yeah, could be bad job. I did ine at America Glass and same happened. They their shop and them looked shady too.
Ha, where bad one goes? Good question. I guess wherever you can shovel one. I really have to play around that and try figure out something. I know those that overland they use hitch receiver to mount spare carrier. However, i have big bike carrier so that cannot work.

Back