Fram Tough Guard with FilterMag cut open

Thank you for the video. I use the same TG 3614 on my 2.5 (Mazda equivalent to the Ford 2.5). Been running these exclusively for the last 150,000 miles. Engine now has 201,000 without issue.

I know there isn’t much love on the forum for these but this looks like it held up well for your application. Thanks for the cut and post!

Ive been wondering if its worth using magnets like that. But man they are expensive. I have too many cars
They do work. They catch varying amounts. Like all things we prioritize what we spend money on. Whether it is a 20.00 or 50.00 steak or a 500.00 or 2,000.00 TV.

They do work. They catch varying amounts. Like all things we prioritize what we spend money on. Whether it is a 20.00 or 50.00 steak or a 500.00 or 2,000.00 TV.
I totally agree, I buy $9 steaks and my TV was $400 lol which is more then a paid for a few of my cars haha

Ive been wondering if its worth using magnets like that. But man they are expensive. I have too many cars
A good magnetic drain plug will catch a lot of the same ferrous particles, and are much less expensive. Or if you have some old hard drives around that you want to destroy, the magnets inside them are super strong.

A good magnetic drain plug will catch a lot of the same ferrous particles, and are much less expensive. Or if you have some old hard drives around that you want to destroy, the magnets inside them are super strong.
While I agree a mag drain plug will catch some, I don't think it will catch nearly as much due to the weaker magnetic field spread over a larger area

I've used FilterMag for years now. Majority of the time I can see a similar ghosting like yours. The Filtermag on my wife's Malibu is almost 9 years old and still holding very firmly to the filter. Still strong enough that I wouldn't want to get my fingers trapped between it and the filter.

While I agree a mag drain plug will catch some, I don't think it will catch nearly as much due to the weaker magnetic field spread over a larger area
Need a magnetic drain plug with a strong magnet. Some are better than others. Yes, a FilterMag will probably catch a bit more, but a magnetic drain plug is better than nothing. You could also buy some cheap magnets that will work on the filter can vs a FilterMag.

Oh, another thing they are good for. When you drop your drain plug into your catch pan, just slap it on the end of a screwdriver and swish it around in the oil a couple times. Works every time Don't ask me how I know this. ;-)

Back