Ford Halts Lightning Production for Battery Issues

From what I see... not a big issue. Local Ford dealer has two that are just sitting and sitting on the lot, unsold.

From what I see... not a big issue. Local Ford dealer has two that are just sitting and sitting on the lot, unsold.
Yeah, I dont think big EV trucks and SUVs will be in high demand. Im almost certain those drivers will place convenience of the ICE over all else.
If course not everyone but I suspect more than most think only because I certainly feel that way.

EVs have their place. Trucks may not be the best choice for an EV.

This is more disappointing news, at least to me. I hope Ford gets it right.

EVs have their place. Trucks may not be the best choice for an EV.

This is more disappointing news, at least to me. I hope Ford gets it right.
EV trucks are probably one of the worst choices for people who actually use their truck to do truck stuff like hauling and towing. The range loss is just too much, its 50-70% loss when loaded. Even worse if its cold out. If all you do is drive it around with a couple people in it and nothing else and can afford the price, its probably not much different than an EV car. If you don't drain the battery down you don't need to worry so much about the long charge times.

EV trucks are probably one of the worst choices for people who actually use their truck to do truck stuff like hauling and towing. The range loss is just too much, its 50-70% loss when loaded. Even worse if its cold out. If all you do is drive it around with a couple people in it and nothing else and can afford the price, its probably not much different than an EV car. If you don't drain the battery down you don't need to worry so much about the long charge times.

Although certainly not for everyone, it simply isnt that cut and dried it isnt a good choice for everyone.
It totally depends on the type of hauling and towing one does. There are plenty of short hop half tons out there living full and busy lives.
If all you do is pick up a bit of feed from town 20-30 miles away, or tow horses 20-30 miles to a trailhead, and drive to and from town with people Its a fantastic platform.
It would not work for me towing a 30ft boat to a lake 400 miles away for a 4 day weekend.

Whatever this is i hope ford nails it quick.

And just where does it say it is a battery issue? Another crappy article.
It's on the news as well. Sketchy but mentions issues with the battery that halted production. They don't halt production for no reason, maybe it's an easy fix, maybe not. The news just broke.

Regarding not commenting, I lied. ;)

"A vehicle"

The stop shipment order and production halt were issued early last week, Ford spokespeople said.

“There is a Stop Build and In-Transit Stop Ship for F-150 Lightning,” Ford’s Emma Bergg told Teslarati. As part of our pre-delivery quality inspections, a vehicle displayed a potential battery issue and we are holding vehicles while we investigate.

TFL came to a similar conclusion when they tested the Lightning. However, they didn't seem quite so negative and suggested that a larger capacity battery would solve most, if not all, the issues of range.

I agree that a work truck needs to be able to work. The 4-door, stubby bed is something of a poser truck, IMO. Even though I've no need of a work truck, all the trucks I've owned had longer beds and shorter cabs so I could better use them for camping and off-highway exploration.

And just where does it say it is a battery issue? Another crappy article.

Ford Motor has paused production and shipments of its electric F-150 Lightning pickup due to a potential battery issue, the company said Tuesday.

Ford spokeswoman Emma Bergg declined to disclose details of the possible battery issue, which is being investigated after a vehicle displayed a potential problem as part of the automaker’s pre-delivery quality inspections.

I'm gonna guess one caught, or nearly caught fire.... But that's just a guess.

I agree, the battery pack is too small. 200KWh is about the minimum for a full sized pickup truck.

They also have paused production here in Louisville at the Fern Valley Plant on the Escape...Having quality issues...

FWIW a friend of mine just took delivery of an electric F-150 Lightning about 3 weeks ago and so far, he loves it. I've ridden in it and it rides GOOD and that thing is FAST. It's also amazing to open "the hood" and see a huge trunk where the engine would normally be. The only trailer that he ever pulls is a very small utility trailer or his small boat trailer and he only uses them locally so the towing is more than enough for him. I'll go out of an limb here and say that MOST truck owners never pull any kind of a trailer and the reduced towing capacity is probably never going to be an issue for them.

Ford Motor has paused production and shipments of its electric F-150 Lightning pickup due to a potential battery issue, the company said Tuesday.
Ford spokeswoman Emma Bergg declined to disclose details of the possible battery issue, which is being investigated after a vehicle displayed a potential problem as part of the automaker’s pre-delivery quality inspections.

I'm gonna guess one caught, or nearly caught fire.... But that's just a guess.

I agree, the battery pack is too small. 200KWh is about the minimum for a full sized pickup truck.
Potential is the key word. Does not say because. Potential could mean anything.

Last edited:
^^ I heard on CNBC Ford Halted production of the F105 lightening, searched for it on the web, linked an article, details are sketchy. Ford might have stated it a week ago, the news broke today. I'm sharing it here, that's it. Maybe later on there will be a little more clarity. The Chinese balloons come to mind, news constantly evolves.

The biggest pickup truck market in the world is Southern California and the buyers are lifestyle buyers. Ford knows its customers, hence the Lightning.

Yeah, I dont think big EV trucks and SUVs will be in high demand. Im almost certain those drivers will place convenience of the ICE over all else.
If course not everyone but I suspect more than most think only because I certainly feel that way.

I think there is a lot of truth to that. I have talked to a couple of people looking to replace their full size trucks with F150 Lightnings, but only one that had an order in. I think it's a hard market and it's the reason why crossovers will continue to be king electric cars just like the regular car market.

Back