Ford cuts prices of F-150 Lightening by 7-16%.

Probably not selling like they thought. If manufacturers/the govt want people to jump on EVs and make the transition ASAP then they will have to be more affordable to the masses. Right now they are luxury items for most people. If they made more hybrid Mavericks those things would sell like crazy.

The title says it all. They claim to have increased production and can lower the cost as a result. One would hope that increases sales. I feel bad for those who bought them before the cut, ouch.
Already losing billions of dollars on EVs, and having to cut prices on those EVs since nobody’s buying them, even with taxpayer-funded rebates. Ouch.

And yet we’re being forced to continue down this path. Insanity.

Already losing billions of dollars on EVs, and having to cut prices on those EVs since nobody’s buying them, even with taxpayer-funded rebates. Ouch.

And yet we’re being forced to continue down this path. Insanity.
+1 You don't cut prices when vehicles are flying off the lot, you raise them. I lost every bit of respect I had for Ford years ago.

+1 You don't cut prices when vehicles are flying off the lot, you raise them. I lost every bit of respect I had for Ford years ago.
The tax rebate was already a price cut, now they’ve essentially doubled it. On top of that, didn’t Ford say they were losing like $25-30k PER electric vehicle? That would now mean, for all intents and purposes, that Ford is losing ~60%+ on every Lightning they “sell” (but in reality a 60% loss is a giveaway).

This can obviously not go on for long before shareholders revolt or bolt… and then “poof”, another one bites the dust.

The title says it all. They claim to have increased production and can lower the cost as a result. One would hope that increases sales. I feel bad for those who bought them before the cut, ouch.
Why feel bad? First in line always pays the most. Bragging rights have a cost.

And if they did it under the impression that it was an investment... now I got no respect. Very few vehicles have made for good investments. If they took the gamble, well, they didn't win.

And if they did it under the impression that it was an investment... now I got no respect. Very few vehicles have made for good investments. If they took the gamble, well, they didn't win.
That's a good way to look at it. I never looked at a car I bought as an investment, but when car prices get cut that much I would imagine having a real sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Most people lose a ton of money as soon as the front tires touch the street off the dealers lot, imagine adding another 7-16% to that loss to the people that bought before the cut.

I am very concerned that EV's other than Tesla are not selling. I get the facts that there is less justification for these in the big picture, but how could all the OEM's - exception Toyota - basically ditch their ICE cars so quickly?

I am very concerned that EV's other than Tesla are not selling. I get the facts that there is less justification for these in the big picture, but how could all the OEM's - exception Toyota - basically ditch their ICE cars so quickly?
Bad business moves imo. Toyota took some heat a while back on this board. I still believe Toyota didn't get to be in the position they're in from being stupid. Things can possibly change in 2024, making Toyota look even smarter.

At this point, a Lightning from the early 2000s (you know, the strong ones with S/C 5.4s) have a better resale value, certainly on %, than one that’s 6 months old. Sad.

Back