Finally scratched my watch itch this morning

I think that Casio looks great! Great proportions.
I have recommended the Casio Duro more often than I can remember and I have given them to my nephews as inexpensive go-anywhere watches. Gotta be careful to not get the new 38mm version as it is only 50m WR vs the 200m of the older 44mm version while costing twice as much for some inexplicable reason.

Mido Ocean Stars are great watches!
Mido had the world’s first* antimagnetic, water resistant, self-winding, and shock-resistant wristwatch that was suitable for skin diving in 1933. What really set the watch apart was the cork gasket that sealed the crown stem tube. 1934's successor, the Multifort was tested to 120 m water resistance. Mido kept using this "Aquadura" design into the 1960s. By that time elastomer and polymer seals and gaskets had become available.

*The 1926 Rolx Oyster was the first water-resistant wristwatch.

Nice watch. Hard to beat simple black on stainless. I'm not a watch guy, but I do like that look. Here is my much cheaper Mido. It might lose a minute every 5-6 weeks. Yes, I beat the snot out of it. 43mm.

View attachment 214573
I have the exact same watch but in titanium.

8337EAF1-6723-4C13-9577-5994DAC3514F.jpeg

Beautiful watch honestly.

Not for me, I had not worn a watch for 25+ years, but a couple months ago - I bought this: Fiddy dollah: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KYJAJY
Could you do something for me? Can you lay your watch out flat and measure the length of it from one end of the band to the other not including the buckle? Just from one tip of the band to the other. Thanks!

No, a Casio or Timex is just a tool to tell time. In fact, if you carry a phone, no watch of any kind is needed.
True, but it is easier to sneak a peek at the time from a watch on one's wrist than by checking one's cell phone. ;)

True, but it is easier to sneak a peek at the time from a watch on one's wrist than by checking one's cell phone. ;)
That's why pocket watches fell out of favor and wristwatches became popular around the time of WWI. But in the early 21st century humans had gotten so smart they invented the smartphone which really is an indispensable personal digital assistant without which life is not possible. This device is best kept at eye level at all times so we can make obnoxious distractions like crossing the street, driving, or having to talk to people more entertaining if not avoidable altogether.

That's why pocket watches fell out of favor and wristwatches became popular around the time of WWI. But in the early 21st century humans had gotten so smart they invented the smartphone which really is an indispensable personal digital assistant without which life is not possible. This device is best kept at eye level at all times so we can make obnoxious distractions like crossing the street, driving, or having to talk to people more entertaining if not avoidable altogether.
Yeah, then can you explain the existence of “smart” watches?

Yep...in addition - I am totally fine if my neurosurgeon takes their eyes off what they're doing, and breaks sterile field, to check their phone..

Totally fine...

Yep...in addition - I am totally fine if my neurosurgeon takes their eyes off what they're doing, and breaks sterile field, to check their phone..

Totally fine...
There was one doctor who got called out for performing a surgery while on a Onewheel or similar self-balancing device.

Yeah, then can you explain the existence of “smart” watches?
Sure. They are fitness or active lifestyle devices for people who must be connected at all times while they need their hands free. My nemesis, the 280 lbs HR lady at work, wears a FitBit. Her blood pressure alarms go off when she sees me walking past her office. It's very useful. She doesn't even have to put her bag of chips down to know she's having a cardiovascular crisis.

The good thing about good craftsmanship watches is that they don't cost you anything to wear/own them.

I have a 2000 model date sub that I've worn daily for 24 years now, it has not had an easy life. Not a scratch on the synthetic Safire crystal and the band looks 90% as good as day 1. I've sent it in for routine service 2 times (due again), but the things wear like iron. I did replace the link by the clasp and a couple of the bracelet pins over time.

Back