Finally, proof for the 5K mile oil change, or something to laugh at/BITOG fodder

For those of you who're not going to read it:
All this after it was originally the German manufacturers that beat their chest about 15,000 mile oil change intervals. It’s exactly like healthy recommendations…drink red wine for heart health - alcohol consumption of any form can elevate cancer risks. All in all we should do what we know is working in our particular situations. My opinion…….

Just too many variables for specific OCI recommendations. I think every 5/6k is a good general baseline for the masses. If you're using a less chemically restricted oil like HPL, Amsoil SS etc, there is obviously potential for extending the drain intervals. Of course if you have a massive fuel dilution issue that's just another variable that will likely lower your OCI. So engine type, oil type, driving conditions, climate, etc. all factor in. 6k/6month is a safe interval.

Never heard of detergents working for only the first 1k miles. Doesn't sound right to me.

Just too many variables for specific OCI recommendations. I think every 5/6k is a good general baseline for the masses. If you're using a less chemically restricted oil like HPL, Amsoil SS etc, there is obviously potential for extending the drain intervals. Of course if you have a massive fuel dilution issue that's just another variable that will likely lower your OCI. So engine type, oil type, driving conditions, climate, etc. all factor in. 6k/6month is a safe interval.

Never heard of detergents working for only the first 1k miles. Doesn't sound right to me.
Agree 100%. Well said.

BITOGers have clearly been outsmarting real engineers for decades. Whatever “the man” tells you is wrong, you should listen to randos on a forum instead

You’re really going to listen to some YouTube “mechanic” instead of people here? Would you take people here more seriously if they had a YouTube channel?

That’s what I was told anyway when I brought up Ahmed’s videos
Definitely not siding with the all the YouTube haters cause I cannot stand the shade that gets tossed on YouTubers around here. That said CCN isn’t 100% right here. Yes, some vehicle should get 5K OCI. Some vehicles also do great with 10K. Everything at 5K/6 months is a solid guideline. But it isn’t a hard and fast rule.

We all know individual conditions yield differing 'recommendations'.
The factory 7,500 mile OCIs I've followed over the last 20 years seem OK as the oil still has life left in it.
The last UOA I got stated the oil was still good.
If I go a little over, OK. I'm not going to spend the money on additional UOAs to get it to 10,000.

Definitely not siding with the all the YouTube haters cause I cannot stand the shade that gets tossed on YouTubers around here. That said CCN isn’t 100% right here. Yes, some vehicle should get 5K OCI. Some vehicles also do great with 10K. Everything at 5K/6 months is a solid guideline. But it isn’t a hard and fast rule.
This is true. I personally don’t see enough $ savings to stretch those intervals to 10k. Peace of mind is worth a few dollars a year, I do all of my maintenance more often than needed and with quality parts. One day of pay lost at work due to car troubles would wipe away half a decade of saving money with 10k intervals (and a turbo replacement for example, even more)

I wasn’t impressed with the antiwear additives in mobil1 0w-20. And it runs close to 12$/quart….

I wasn’t impressed with the antiwear additives in mobil1 0w-20. And it runs close to 12$/quart….
Then go with Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, you can get it from Walmart now for like $29.99 in a 5-quart jug, so with tax that is $31.79 so that is like $6.35 a quart.

Give this oil a try, you will not be disappointed!

Folks do hate on some YouTubers here, I mean, they go on about poor LSJR's lip thing HAHA. I need to do an oil video for my channel soon so I can get some hate here!

Folks do hate on some YouTubers here, I mean, they go on about poor LSJR's lip thing HAHA. I need to do an oil video for my channel soon so I can get some hate here!
What about a parody video of all the various BITOGER types? Thickies, the what-ah-waste guy (which always sounds like the voice of Mr Krabs from SpongeBob in my head), the M1 0W40 in everything guy and of course my favorite “the Collector.”

Fast forward 20 years. We have seen shops report back that they are seeing increased oil sludge and engine failures from high oil change (10,000) intervals. The author of this piece had his Mercedes Bluetec engine seize due to oil sludge (it was running Mobil 1 at the time and had a 10,000 change interval, exactly as the manual specifies). Special thanks to Chris Sunday who has been reporting issues for years – so we delved deeper into the problem. We didn’t want to report “change this often now” without it making sense.

I quoted part of what I did read, and I do have some questions about the issue with Mobil 1 and a 10,000 mile OCI

1) How many miles were on this Engine
2) How many miles did this get driven in a year
3) Which Mobil 1 was being used
4) Was the owner of this car the Original Owner
5) Was this a short tripper
6) How often was the PCV Changed
A lot of MB diesels were slugging up. They found that the wrong oil was being used combined with long change intervals was the cause.

CCN is using one engine, from one car, driven by one person to make a blanket statement for clicks and then at that did IMO a half ass rebuild. A mechanic only sees the problems.

5K/6m is a very good guideline and then if one chose to, go from there. Personally, 10k is extremely doable on certain vehicles.

Back