"Ethanol Free" Fuel, May Not Be

I think there are far more dedicated single hose / single nozzle E0, (non ethanol), pumps, than there are those that share octane blending.

But that doesn't make it any less of a problem. When you have as many as 4 different blends, (87, 89, 91, 93), all coming out of the same hose and nozzle, people who pay for the higher octane fuels are getting "watered down" product for the first gallon or 2.

And 87 sells far more than any of the other. So the likelihood of someone getting "watered down" high octane, (that they're paying a significantly higher price for), is a much more likely scenario, than the reverse.

It's really no different than bars diluting the spirits they sell. And that's fraudulent and illegal. And in some states and jurisdictions it can be grounds for having your liquor license revoked.

Saw this a while back, and hadn't thought about it before, but I only by E0 from the one place with a separate pump now.

I should probably still test it. Wouldn't surprise me if there was still some in it.

I bought an ethanol kit off of Amazon and tested my E0 a while back. No ethanol to speak of. The pump did have a separate handle for E0.

Just my $0.02

I bought an ethanol kit off of Amazon and tested my E0 a while back. No ethanol to speak of. The pump did have a separate handle for E0.

Just my $0.02
I should - you don't need a kit unless you want to know the actual percentage. If you just want to know if it has ethanol all you need is a sealed container and some water and the gas

I noticed in the OP video that she really struggled getting gas into the container to test with that crappy gas can she was using. I recommend the No Spill push button spout cans. I've been using them for many years now, and they work GREAT! Very easy to control the flow. They're available in 1.25, 2.5 and 5 gallon sizes. Yes, they are a bit expensive, but they do work and are worth it, IMO. Amazon link is below, but they should be available at local stores (such as Ace Hardware) as well.

Of the 3 stations that I use near me that sell E0, only one of them has a dedicated hose:

Station 1: 87E0 and 87E10 on one hose, 91E0 on a separate hose
Station 2: 87E10, 91E0 on the same hose
Station 3: 87E0, 87E10, and 91E0 all on the same hose

The variety is interesting. I've also learned that I'm one of the few that has easy access to ethanol free 87 grade.

Here is a nationwide list of gas stations that sell non ethanol gasoline. Along with the corresponding octane rating. Just click on your state. They also add and remove the stations that no longer sell it every week.

Of the 3 stations that I use near me that sell E0, only one of them has a dedicated hose:

Station 1: 87E0 and 87E10 on one hose, 91E0 on a separate hose
Station 2: 87E10, 91E0 on the same hose
Station 3: 87E0, 87E10, and 91E0 all on the same hose

The variety is interesting. I've also learned that I'm one of the few that has easy access to ethanol free 87 grade.
The E0 gas station (a Shell station in Madison, AL) I use almost all the time has a separate hose for the E0 gas and it is 87 octane. I don't think this station has higher octane E0 gas than 87. They also have diesel on separate hoses as well at a different pump island. The E0 gas from this station has always thus far worked great in my outdoor power equipment, even after a year or so in my gas can. I do always add PRI-G fuel stabilizer to the E0 gas after bringing it home. Nonetheless, after watching the OP video I am going to test it to make sure it truly is E0.

The E0 gas station (a Shell station in Madison, AL) I use almost all the time has a separate hose for the E0 gas and it is 87 octane. I don't think this station has higher octane E0 gas than 87. They also have diesel on separate hoses as well at a different pump island. The E0 gas from this station has always thus far worked great in my outdoor power equipment, even after a year or so in my gas can. I do always add PRI-G fuel stabilizer to the E0 gas after bringing it home. Nonetheless, after watching the OP video I am going to test it to make sure it truly is E0.
I also use stabilizer in my E0 fuel purchases for the OPE. Both vehicles take premium so I end up just pumping 91 into my OPE tanks at the same time that I am gassing up the cars, but obviously I'd other wise have no issues running the 87 E0 variety.

Here in central NY (aka upstate) most don’t have a separate hose.

E0 is 91 octane at many stores and 80-96 cents a gallon more than 87 E10. And good luck finding E85.

I’ve never seen an E0 option with the other traditional grades. Of course you would be getting some ethanol from the previous user.

I’ve never seen an E0 option with the other traditional grades. Of course you would be getting some ethanol from the previous user.
Central NY, Stewart’s gas stations. One hose, 87 and 89 E10, and 91 E0.
I pumped two gallons in my truck before filling the generator cans.
Then again I use a double dose of Startron so it probably doesn’t matter.

This is a good video that shows when you gas up your small gas can with "Ethanol Free" fuel, you might be getting as much as a third of a gallon or more of the Ethanol based fuel that was in the hose from the last customer.

This happens when several different fuel grades are shared with the same pump nozzle.

I never really thought about this. I'm lucky because the station I get my Ethanol Free 91 Octane from, is on a special single pump off to the side. There is even a class action lawsuit being filed by someone in California over this.

Everywhere I have ever purchased E0 had a dedicated hose. I tanked up the C-Max twice last week in PA and WV with 90 Octane E0. It was about $1 more per gallon than 87 Octane E10. Normally I purchase 89 Octane E0 at a $0.50 premium over 87 Octane E10. It occurs to me that I've paid a similar or lower premium to get 91 Octane E0 at Stewart's Shops in NY and VT.

Are any of you out there old enough to remember when Sunoco stations had a dial your octane pump? IIRC there were eight grades running up to 96 Octane. Those were the days...

Everywhere I have ever purchased E0 had a dedicated hose. I tanked up the C-Max twice last week in PA and WV with 90 Octane E0. It was about $1 more per gallon than 87 Octane E10. Normally I purchase 89 Octane E0 at a $0.50 premium over 87 Octane E10. It occurs to me that I've paid a similar or lower premium to get 91 Octane E0 at Stewart's Shops in NY and VT.

Are any of you out there old enough to remember when Sunoco stations had a dial your octane pump? IIRC there were eight grades running up to 96 Octane. Those were the days...

Your Stewart’s in NY have dedicated hoses? Ours don’t. All around Rome and albany.

Your Stewart’s in NY have dedicated hoses? Ours don’t. All around Rome and albany.
Perhaps I should reviev my photos, but I thoguht that they did.

Here in PA we have Wawa, Sheetz and Rutter's that all offer dedicated hoses. I've used dedicated hoses at Rutter's and Sheetz in VA as well. Not having any luck finding a photo from Stwewart's on my iPhone.

Last edited:
OK, a few days ago I did test my E0 gas (procured from a local Shell station that has a dedicated E0 pump hose/nozzle) using a test kit and procedure very similar to the one Chickanic used in her video in the OP above, and it did indeed show 0% ethanol, as advertised. This particular station supplies 87 octane E0 gas, which has been totally fine in all our mowers, gas trimmers, blower and tiller. Based on how well our OPE runs on it, I'm not surprised. So you should be in good shape if you can find a E0 gas station with a dedicated hose for E0.

Back