Electric Car Charger Vandalism Continues To Surge Nationwide

the fix, is to follow europe's lead.... or was that something specified in the upcoming NACS standard from SAE.... the...leads...( Charging cables) are Modular.
ie, when you go to a charging station, you get your cable out of your car, plug it into the EVSE and your car.

aside from that, we just have to accept that, as AVE's Daughter "Chickadee" told us:
PAM.jpg

image borrowed from:

I was reading they are shocked that the cables are being cut off. Anyone who believes the thieves would not go after these cables like a fly on dung for the copper is some sort of dim bulb.

That’s why many are using the electrocoated aluminum wire that is virtually worthless.

Europe is smarter, their chargers don’t have any cables, you as the vehicle owner gotta carry them

Next thing, the cables will retract inside the charger.

I hate thieves, absolutely hate them.
Islamic nations following sharia law have solutions that make it increasingly difficult to steal the more you do it.

That’s why many are using the electrocoated aluminum wire that is virtually worthless.

Europe is smarter, their chargers don’t have any cables, you as the vehicle owner gotta carry them

Islamic nations following sharia law have solutions that make it increasingly difficult to steal the more you do it.
bringing your own cable, that makes sense. Think about if a person needed to find a hose to add air to their tires. Chances are slim that if one finds a machine, that it even works. Why is that? Well, I think it's because it's out in the public, and not secured....

A few weeks ago I went to a self serve car wash, and put my $5 in for like 6 minutes. Mid wash, the handle simply broke off and water sprayed everywhere. First, I wanted my money back--but there are no humans on site. Then I just said F it. I still placed the handle/wand back. I should have kept if for my inconvenience but once again--it's in the general public. Someone likely abused it and it broke on me.

I was reading they are shocked that the cables are being cut off. Anyone who believes the thieves would not go after these cables like a fly on dung for the copper is some sort of dim bulb.

This why Tesla cables dock back into the base. It's not to save the cable from being cut, but to send out an alert that the cable has been damaged.

This is the real answer, but we haven't done that here for some reason. Just having a port instead is a great idea, but is this across the board with all chargers? I thought this was just street parking level 2. I listened to a podcast about this not long ago,

Next thing, the cables will retract inside the charger.

I hate thieves, absolutely hate them.
As an almost senior citizen, physical security was something that comes natural to me. It's easy. Logical security creates so much more headaches. My phone keeps locking on me after a minute, I can barely get into my bank account online. My Shoprite grocery store app needs a complex password. Life would be so much easier if people were honest.

Meth heads dont care about what political side you are on, the environment or really a **** thing. But if its worth money and they can take it, they will. Out here in my neck of the woods, they go to oil well sites, running or not. They take what they can and regularly shut them down. They even caused a blackout in a nearby town chopping cables.

The metal recyclers are obviously just as crooked and helping fuel this. Like hell some dirty, toothless bastard driving a rickety 500$ truck legally sourced 80k worth of industrial gauge copper wire.

There's a huge gap in copper prices between the comex and LME, and it can't be fixed by physical arbitrage because there's a lot of copper that is not allowed into the US (for some reason Australian copper is on that list).

US copper prices are spiking currently, at record highs right now. You're going to hear a lot more about copper A/C units getting stolen, wires getting stolen, people dying breaking into electrical switch yards, etc.

Copper is $5 / lb. It was consistently below $1.5 / lb prior to 2005.

EV charging stations need to have retractible cords. You can't pull the cord out unless you've engaged the ID/Payment system. Unless they figure it's a lot less expensive to replace a cord vs replacing the whole unit when someone throws a chain around it and trys to pull it out of the ground with their stolen pickup truck.

When building my house, which is pretty much away from everything else and by itself, thieves stole the copper. The police actually caught them because they went to other areas getting more copper and got caught. They went to jail and was supposed to pay restitution over time but I only got one check for like $20. The were released and never showed for court.

When building my house, which is pretty much away from everything else and by itself, thieves stole the copper. The police actually caught them because they went to other areas getting more copper and got caught. They went to jail and was supposed to pay restitution over time but I only got one check for like $20. The were released and never showed for court.
Some years back, not too many within the past decade we did a home with a security system and cameras. It was a large home, retreat/vacation home in a rural (and you would think peaceful) place. But not really.
Anyway, the thieves stole the copper plumbing and wiring, took it out of the entire crawl space of the home.
It was creepy, I was called for an assessment and arrived before anyone else in the middle of no place I think in an area known for meth labs etc. (that's another story)

Seems like those charger cables are easy prey. Solution would be aluminum wiring. Still I ask, what happens when battery EVs account for 10 or 15% of the vehicles on the road. This is nothing yet and the public gets educated on the inconveniences sales growth will continue to wane. Ive been looking and all I am seeing is dealers with available EVs everywhere. .

Last edited:

I wonder who has a hand in this? :p

Some years back, not too many within the past decade we did a home with a security system and cameras. It was a large home, retreat/vacation home in a rural (and you would think peaceful) place. But not really.
Anyway, the thieves stole the copper plumbing and wiring, took it out of the entire crawl space of the home.
It was creepy, I was called for an assessment and arrived before anyone else in the middle of no place I think in an era known for meth labs etc. (that's another story)

Seems like those charger cables are easy prey. Solution would be aluminum wiring. Still I ask, what happens when battery EVs account for 10 or 15% of the vehicles on the road. This is nothing yet and the public gets educated on the inconveniences sales growth will continue to wane. Ive been looking and all I am seeing is dealers with available EVs everywhere. .
I see all sorts of cars available everywhere, but EV sales will continue to climb. They're just better, for a fair size of the population segment. I'm sure people whined about auto theft and said horses were better, while ignoring cattle rustling, too.

Back