Discontinued: Chevy Malibu

The Chevy Malibu has proven to be a steadfast fixture in the automotive landscape since its revival in 1997, but GM has decided the sedan's time is up and will end production in November.

Few vehicles in history can claim to have had a longer or more successful life span than the Chevy Malibu. Today, Chevrolet confirmed to Car and Driver that it will kill off the Malibu for the second time in the car's history.

According to a statement given to Car and Driver by the automaker, the change comes as the automaker invests $390 million at its Fairfax Assembly Plant in Kansas. Production will officially end in November 2024.

Last edited:
We've got a few at work as fleet vehicles. They managed to make them as plain-jane as the 2003 variant. They have the worlds most boring alloy rims, but, thankfully, 65 series tires still. I hate to say it but they needed something to break up the body lines-- maybe rub rails, pinstripes, or Pontiac-like plastic cladding.

Sorry to see it go. I was just commenting that I thought they made the right move with the 1.5 liter Turbo capable of 35 mpg on the highway.

I also did a post last year that the 2.0 Turbo Malibu could beat some of the 60’s and 70’s Chevelle Malibu’s. I’ll see if I can dig it up. This business of buying SUV’s and killing sedans is short sighted IMHO.

Last edited:
Sorry to see it go. I was just commented that I thought they made the right move with the 1.5 liter Turbo capable of 35 mpg on the highway.

I also did a post last year that the 2.0 Turbo Malibu could beat some of the 60’s and 70’s Chevelle Malibu’s. I’ll see if I can dig it up. This business of buying SUV’s and killing sedans is short sighted IMHO.
I have driven rentals about 5,000 miles with this motor. I got 40 mpg.

I don't know how I've avoided it all of these years. Of all of the hundreds of cars that I've rented... I've never had a Malibu.

When I rented the 2024 Wagoneer to go view the eclipse last month, there was actually a Malibu sitting on the lot... and I figured my time had come, but no... still.

The Chevy Malibu was the most average car ever made from 1997 to right now

The difference is we now live in a world where SUVs with gas engines can get over 30 miles per gallon, go faster than many sporty cars from a generation back, and are safer than the rolling vaults of luxury from just a decade ago.

Just as larger trucks eliminated the marketability of compact trucks, SUVs are eliminating the marketability of cars.

That should have happened years ago. I never was impressed with the ones I looked at or drove. I much prefer the Impala counterpart especially the early 2000s ones at least for looks.

This is a Malibu...
1715305877672.jpg

The Chevy Malibu was the most average car ever made from 1997 to right now

The difference is we now live in a world where SUVs with gas engines can get over 30 miles per gallon, go faster than many sporty cars from a generation back, and are safer than the rolling vaults of luxury from just a decade ago.

Just as larger trucks eliminated the marketability of compact trucks, SUVs are eliminating the marketability of cars.
They saw the 2025 Camry and gave up. All hybrid and 51 mpg..... ouch.

Back