Dealer installed DEXIII instead of VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 02 silverado was just in for a trans flush and i told them put in the latest and greatest expecting to get dex Vi but they put in the dexiii because they said thats whats recommended for that yr.to my understanding the 3 is discontinued and dealers use the 6 exclusively.the tech said its just as good and the only difference is the 6 gives better gas mileage.are they just trying to get rid of old stock or do they have a valid point?

They kind of have a valid point - Dex III is what was specified for your truck.

There is no such thing as a Dex III anymore - it is not licensed. However a dealer Dex III is as close to correct as youll find.

Dex VI is indeed a low-viscosity fluid, designed to suppot higher MPG due to drag and the implementation of more-speed ATs. But an important thing happened with that low-viscosity change - it is more shear stable.

Personally, Id be happy that I saved a few bucks, and Id go add some lubeguard red to it and call it a day. next time if you want to use VI, specify it by name and run it.

No big deal, IMO, unless they charged you a premium for VI and gave you III.

You should have spec'd Dex VI by name. They get a bulk ATF. You're lucky you don't need ATF + 4 and got "Dex plus additive".

I'd be rather disappointed if I asked for the best and got bulk Dex III equivalent.

Dex VI is a superior fluid all the way around and has a longer drain interval. Not sure why they didn't used it, especially since it's recommended for all Dex III applications.

I understand they need to keep bulk ATF around to keep service costs down, but if a customer wants the best, USE THE BEST!

I ran Dex III in my 2002 Buick and I am now running it in my 2005 Saturn Ion. Both were originally spec'd for it and both run flawlessly on it. I did put a bottle of LG red in both vehicles.
Remember that some have complained about Dex VI in their older GMs...while none have complained about using the factory fill.

yes i agree.over the course of six years i have been disappointed with the poor performance of dealer techs.I have had warranty work done multiple times at several diff dealers and have come to the conclusion that the quality and knowledge of some dealer service centers are suffering,Not to say there is not any good ones,just overall.

There is some bean counter who gets involved at fluid spec time. The techs may or may not know better but have to put in what the dealer owner wants.

I have very little experience with DEX VI. But so far I'm not impressed.

My 2000 Tundra specs DEX II or III. I tried Valvoline Full Syn DEX VI for about 1000 miles a few years ago and the 2-3 shifts became violent. After that experience, I'd say that DEX VI is not backwards compatible for this application.

I recently did a UOA on my daughter's 2008 Avalanche 4L60-E AT. After 40K miles, I was not impressed with the wear protection using DEX VI. The temps are higher than I'd like to see on a lightly loaded truck too. I'm seriously considering trying a DEX III type fluid in the tranny.

Bottom line...I think the dealership may have done you a favor.

Originally Posted By: stumpguy
My 02 silverado was just in for a trans flush and i told them put in the latest and greatest expecting to get dex Vi but they put in the dexiii because they said thats whats recommended for that yr.to my understanding the 3 is discontinued and dealers use the 6 exclusively.the tech said its just as good and the only difference is the 6 gives better gas mileage.are they just trying to get rid of old stock or do they have a valid point?

My friends Tundra with 5.7 gets Dex VI (driveway flush here by me) and shifts like a dream.

It is a tremendous advancement in fluid, lasts much longer in service. But it does not work in every older trans.

It also won't fix anything for you.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

My friends Tundra with 5.7 gets Dex VI (driveway flush here by me) and shifts like a dream.

It is a tremendous advancement in fluid, lasts much longer in service. But it does not work in every older trans.

It also won't fix anything for you.

What year is the Tundra? I assume it specs WS?

My '96 Buick with a 4L60E does a lot of trailer towing (5600lb 26' travel trailer) and it does great with Dex VI. It has 165k miles on it and it has had Dex VI in it the last 50k at least.

My '01 GP has the 4T65E in it and seemed to do fine with the Dex VI as well. It has had some issues with shifting but I don't believe it is fluid related. All of its issues are common to that trans. regardless of fluid used. It does have 184k miles on it however. I had a UOA done on it and the Dex VI looked better at 180k than the M1 ATF did at 90k miles. It has Redline D4 in it and I'm getting better gas mileage it seems and it shifts great but I think I have a solenoid valve acting up again and occasionally it acts like it can't figure out what gear to be in.

I know the OP has an auto tranny, but do not put Dex VI in a manual tranny or transfer case that requires Dex III specs. DexVI is way too thin for manual tranny's and transfer cases requiring DexIII specs. There are service bulletins all over the GM community warning techs against this.

I would think there is a GM Bulletin that specifies Dex VI as the correct fluid for your vehicle since Dex III is no longer licensed by GM. If you are not happy with the Dex III then talk with the Service Manager and on up the chain to GM Coroprate if necessary. You should be able to have the expectation that a GM dealer would use what GM specifies for the vehicle.

Having said that I agree with the comments that you should have specified Dex VI if you knew that is what you wanted. Would have avoided this problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I have very little experience with DEX VI. But so far I'm not impressed.

My 2000 Tundra specs DEX II or III. I tried Valvoline Full Syn DEX VI for about 1000 miles a few years ago and the 2-3 shifts became violent. After that experience, I'd say that DEX VI is not backwards compatible for this application.

I recently did a UOA on my daughter's 2008 Avalanche 4L60-E AT. After 40K miles, I was not impressed with the wear protection using DEX VI. The temps are higher than I'd like to see on a lightly loaded truck too. I'm seriously considering trying a DEX III type fluid in the tranny.

Bottom line...I think the dealership may have done you a favor.

I couldn't agree more.

I've been using Castrol Import rated as a Dex III fluid, it's a far cry improvement over any Dex 6 product I've used and with better shifting.

What transmission do you have stumpguy? How is it working after the fluid exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back