Corolla’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How picky is the wife with cars? Some women are particular, some will drive anything. If she doesn't care as long as it's reliable she might be happy in a Corolla.

Not too picky, as long as it is a manual. But this car would be "mine" as her Camry is without issue.

We looked at Prius because of she does less highway yet drives her Camry more miles per year than my Jetta gets (25k vs 18k). If she got a Prius I would have the Camry. 5k of the Camry's 25k is from traveling to visit family so miles wise things would change, probably 20k on Prius and 23k on Camry. Ultimately that path got ruled out.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I recommended my brother in law purchase a 90k 2008ish Corolla S manual for $9k he found a few years back.

100k latter it has required brakes/tires and achieves nearly 40MPG. He is a very happy camper who commutes 35miles each way to work.

Interestingly the nice car in their family is a 2014 TDI wagon 6mt.

Ironically I did see a 2010 with 103k and an S with stick but automatically ignored it due to alloys, spoiler and the fact that the Sport trim ought to bump insurance. Now that I look at the pics, while it has cruise it is a black interior.

I will be heading back today, talk trade-in (agreed to do that before leaving yesterday). My wife thinks I should at least drive the Fit. Not a typical cross shopping vehicle, but perhaps a good fit for my wife... Better price than Corolla new, and barely more than the used I am looking at.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
I question the long-term reliability of a Fiesta. The Corolla on the other hand, I imagine I would be begging for it to explode after 250k+ miles.

In New England, it will probably have rotted in half by then.

Originally Posted By: supton
I will be heading back today, talk trade-in (agreed to do that before leaving yesterday). My wife thinks I should at least drive the Fit. Not a typical cross shopping vehicle, but perhaps a good fit for my wife... Better price than Corolla new, and barely more than the used I am looking at.

What about a Mirage?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
I question the long-term reliability of a Fiesta. The Corolla on the other hand, I imagine I would be begging for it to explode after 250k+ miles.

In New England, it will probably have rotted in half by then.

At my 20k per year, that is ten years. I could live with that. Not preferable, of course, but doable.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

What about a Mirage?

Nope. I drove one, and while it has some points, it has too many drawbacks. Loud, underpowered, and dare I saw it, I worry about dealership support. Plus, it usually costs money to make quality--what got scrimped?

I think I will try a Fit and see if I feel like it is worth $6k more (to be fair, the Mirage stickers up here at $14k, so maybe 12 out the door? leaving a $4k diff--I suspect that 4k makes sense).

One downside to Fit: again., black interior.

The gap is larger than you think: you can get a Mirage for $10,995 out the door. Have to admit I did not find it at all underpowered.

How about a 2012 -13 Civic? I got my daughter a 2009 CPO Civic that had 40k on it and now its at almost 100k and runs like a swiss watch.

Last edited:
I could look at Civic. I have unfond memories of wifes 2001 Civic, but of course that should not matter now.

I could look at Civic. I have unfond memories of wifes 2001 Civic, but of course that should not matter now.

I really like them after the experience with the 2009. Very easy to work on and the 1.8L is very reliable. My kid's Civic took a ton of "college abuse" and is still performing well. It has never left her stranded except once when her college roommate left the headlights on for a weekend. However, since she and her roommate were both 5'7" attractive blonde students the guys at Autozone at Miami University volunteered to jump start the car drive it to Autozone and install a new gold top under warranty.
13.gif

BTW, that kind of stuff NEVER happens to me.

I have a 2014 Corolla , same body as the 2015 . White exterior and beige interior . The dash is black and beige so it`s a nice contrast and as far as I`m concerned the best looking setup on Corolla . Mine is the LE plus model with auto CVT . Ride is good and the back seat is more roomy than any compact car on the road , it`s got the legroom back there as much as a Camry . On a flat highway at 70 mph the revs are only 1900 rpm . My average mpg over the last 600 miles is 39.5 mpg according the readout on the dash . I the look of the dash it is on the same style as the much more expensive Avalon. Some say it looks more like dashes of old . Most dashes on the newer cars all look the same. Me and 3 good size guys fit in it comfortably . I really like my Corolla .

I have always hated how heat rolls off the dash on long summer drives. My Saturn was bad on this--drove me batty that I could not run recirc with ac on defrost for summer days. Jetta bothers me as it takes seemingly 30-40min to cool off in the dead of summer--and then 8'm home in the driveway. Our Camry is not bad in this department, and honestly we don't drive that much in the middle of the day, less so in summer, so perhaps it is much ado about nothing.

Also: we have a beagle. Who sheds white hair. In my Jetta, the leather seats shed that hair easily, and oddly its not too bad on the carpeting. But I'd hate to take the dog someplace and then scrub the seats in anything else. Maybe these cars give hair easier, I dunno. My gray Toyotas seem to both hide the hair and give it up easily enough.

My wife did put a finger on the black interior for me: feels like a cave.

What I don't know is if I can live with a black car, which both of the Corollas I am looking at are. The ac worked yesterday, but it was only mid60's so that is hardly taxing at all.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I recommended my brother in law purchase a 90k 2008ish Corolla S manual for $9k he found a few years back.

100k latter it has required brakes/tires and achieves nearly 40MPG. He is a very happy camper who commutes 35miles each way to work.

Interestingly the nice car in their family is a 2014 TDI wagon 6mt.

Ironically I did see a 2010 with 103k and an S with stick but automatically ignored it due to alloys, spoiler and the fact that the Sport trim ought to bump insurance. Now that I look at the pics, while it has cruise it is a black interior.

The AC works quite well and insurance I am 99% sure is unaffected by trim level. Only doors seem to effect that in my experience.

Also: we have a beagle. Who sheds white hair. In my Jetta, the leather seats shed that hair easily, and oddly its not too bad on the carpeting. But I'd hate to take the dog someplace and then scrub the seats in anything else. Maybe these cars give hair easier, I dunno. My gray Toyotas seem to both hide the hair and give it up easily enough.

Slightly OT: Get a seat cover for the back seat so the dog doesn't shed all over it. We have a waterproof one that has saved our back seats from puppy accidents on more than a few occasions.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Probably almost no one on this forum will agree, but I always liked the '03-'08 generation Corolla. It was definitely an appliance, but an appliance with soul. Sort of. It was no sports car, but if you pushed it, it responded with plenty of oomph to pass or merge.

i agree, i had one and it was responsive and had tight steering. the only con was noisy engine. i test drove the next generation and it was very bland, but quieter engine.

Seat cover: wife tucks a fleece onto the Camry rear seat, does ok with the dog. Does good with the goldfish and Legos and lollipops that the kids drop. Does nothing for the doggie nose prints on the windshield though.

Unfortunately the only doggie accident we had was in my car, and on the floor carpet, the day we got the dog. Who feeds their dog macaroni and cheese anyhow?

Different generations: I really wasn't looking to go too old, rust fears and all. I did think the 12 was more thrashy than the 13, but maybe that was me beating on it to accelerate--or maybe that 12 had other issues, I dunno. That 12 was about my limit for thrash I think.

Went back today, got trade in on my Jetta (no shock there), left the deal behind. Just not the deal I had in mind, and I have to say, shopping for a car I am willing to settle for is a pinch easier than a car I am dying to buy. Numbers did not work, not in love, thus easy to move along. Should do this more often.

Was left wondering if CPO on a Corolla is worth it. I am sure prior owners can abuse anything, but Corollas are both hardy and probably easy/cheap to repair. Skipping that puts me back in age and miles though, but is a thought. A car that is simple and cheap to repair does not need much of a warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back