chewproof dog bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the old standby DIY dog bed:
Buy a few yards of cotton fabric that feels strong from the local sewing store. Wash it. Throw it on the floor in a corner (or in your dog's crate if he/she uses one). Throw some ladies undergarments that haven't been washed since being worn on top. You now have a durable dog bed that your dog will like more than any other bed excluding your own.

They're great. I have two and they're the only beds that my mutts haven't destroyed. They scratch at them too, and they're holding up (18 months since new). The fabric is completely enclosed in the frame, making it difficult to get to.

I got the PVC frame and Cordura fabric. For the maximum durability, they have an aluminum frame and vinyl fabric option.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
I like the old standby DIY dog bed:
Buy a few yards of cotton fabric that feels strong from the local sewing store. Wash it. Throw it on the floor in a corner (or in your dog's crate if he/she uses one). Throw some ladies undergarments that haven't been washed since being worn on top. You now have a durable dog bed that your dog will like more than any other bed excluding your own.

Can I assume you are not married?

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I really like the Precision Pet Snoozy Ortho Air Therapeutic Inflatable Pet Bed

Watch the video on how strong these beds are. We have this bed for our dog and it's great! Our neighbor has these beds for her dogs (they would rip apart other dog beds) and now that she has these beds the dogs don't rip them anymore. She loves them.

My Mastiff is ripping them with her paws.

Note from the description of the bed: "Not for aggressive chewers"

Just stick with the Kuranda. It's a proven design. Even my local animal shelter has a few that stand up to the high-stress destructive behavior that the poor mutts there exhibit.

The aluminum frame and upgraded fabric are a good idea for a big and powerful dog like your mastiff. I ordered mine directly from Kuranda.

Is she playing with the bed like a toy, or just getting her nails stuck? For whatever reason my dog would bite anything made of memory foam. Covering it made no difference so it was the smell. I got him a bed with a different kind of padding, it stopped.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

No dog bed is perfectly chewproof, but did you see in the video at 1:20 into it, they scratched the bed with scissors? The bed is targeting dogs just like yours. IMHO I don't think you will find a more chewproof dog bed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc

No dog bed is perfectly chewproof, but did you see in the video at 1:20 into it, they scratched the bed with scissors? The bed is targeting dogs just like yours. IMHO I don't think you will find a more chewproof dog bed.

I saw the scratch with a scissor. Impressive. But my dog's paw has 110lbs behind it. I will give it a try.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Is she playing with the bed like a toy, or just getting her nails stuck? For whatever reason my dog would bite anything made of memory foam. Covering it made no difference so it was the smell. I got him a bed with a different kind of padding, it stopped.

Interesting concept about the smell of memory foam. The dog is 6-7 yrs old, so not a puppy playing.

Our Pyrenees was always perfectly happy to sleep on the hardwood floor outside of our bedroom.
He'd lean against the door hard, just to be sure he'd awaken if we should move.
He'd patrol the house from time to time through the night, checking on our two sons.
If either were sick, he'd know, and he'd stay with them.
What I'm trying to say is that the dog doesn't need a bed.
If the dog wants to lie on something soft, it'll find a patch of carpet.
The dog will likely try to sleep as close to you as you allow it to do.
How big is your dog?
Our Pyreness was around 140 lbs.
He was a sweety, at least to those few he considered to be his people.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What I'm trying to say is that the dog doesn't need a bed.
If the dog wants to lie on something soft, it'll find a patch of carpet.
Our dog has two beds and i'll tell you, she sure likes the beds better than the carpet!

I saw the scratch with a scissor. Impressive. But my dog's paw has 110lbs behind it. I will give it a try.
Let me know how your dog likes it and how it's working out for you.
smile.gif
I'm sure you will be impressed.

Yeah, he's tearing that apart for fun. The Kuranda is a proven design that's used by many shelters around the country. To me, the inflatable one seems more of a novelty that won't last.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
To me, the inflatable one seems more of a novelty that won't last.
It definitely will last. It's a very durable dog bed. It's been a great bed for our dog and our neighbor's dogs.

Awww. Can you unzip the cover? Try putting the memory foam inside a garbage bag. Put it back, flip it over. The habit may already be established, but worth a try with the old bed to verify what material you need in the future. Also, is the dog home alone during the day? She may be bored, needs something to do. I see another tail so maybe there's company? Maybe there is control over the bed going on?

Best chew proof bed I made was a 2'-6" square frame of 4x2, with a piece of canvas stretched over the top, and stapled.

Chew the outside, and it's wood...inside, and no purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back