Autocraft batteries the same as interstate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know autocraft batteries are made by the same company as interstate.
When comparing, they have the same dimensions, same amp rating, same reserve capacity, etc.
Are they just relabeled, or is the off brand autocraft somehow of lesser quality?,

Most batteries of the same size(manufactured by Exide or Johnson Controls or ...) have silimar dimensions, CCA, reserve capacity, etc ...

Autocraft and Interstate are made/owned by Johnson Controls so they are very similar.

Years ago, like 35 years ago, I worked with a guy that said he used to work at a car battery factory. He said the batteries came down a conveyor belt and labels were affixed to them. When the roll of labels ran out, another roll of labels with a different company's name was opened up and placed on the batteries. The batteries were all the same. That was 35 years ago. I believe it's still the same today. I've had good luck with AutoZone batteries.

Interstate at least has different colored plastic. They might do a run for a week or several weeks of brand A then brand B, and if they buy their lead "just-in-time" they could have some that's way better than spec and other that just squeaks through. But you'd be hard pressed to figure this out until you see the warranty claims... and a different group size might have the opposite quality difference.

I say if the specs are the same they're probably identical. I stopped buying Johnson control when I realized how much better I like the east Penn batteries

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I say if the specs are the same they're probably identical. I stopped buying Johnson control when I realized how much better I like the east Penn batteries

Well I have work onsite at JCI in Canby oregon and have been to Deka east penn. I usually let price be the tie breaker and for me that usually means Deka. I service and repair industrial batteries and Deka is what we sell. We don't sell the automotive batteries. But we do have an account with the automotive dealer. JCI and Deka both just label the batteries as needed to fill orders for who ever they are selling to. Huge racks of labels are at both facilities. Twelve batteries roll down the line all the same. Now for the labels 4 might be Kirkland, 4 interstate. And 4 more for bimart. Then they go to their respective order palette.

+1000! Every JCI battery I owned leaked enough around the terminals to cause corrosion. Have installed at least 6 East Penn batteries on my vehicles and garden tractor and never had one leak. They are the best.

Originally Posted By: pdxglocker9mm

Well I have work onsite at JCI in Canby oregon and have been to Deka east penn. I usually let price be the tie breaker and for me that usually means Deka. I service and repair industrial batteries and Deka is what we sell. We don't sell the automotive batteries. But we do have an account with the automotive dealer. JCI and Deka both just label the batteries as needed to fill orders for who ever they are selling to. Huge racks of labels are at both facilities. Twelve batteries roll down the line all the same. Now for the labels 4 might be Kirkland, 4 interstate. And 4 more for bimart. Then they go to their respective order palette.

Not always true. Sometimes the big guys de-spec slightly to remove cost. Check the weight to see how much lead it has. Deka has always been upfront telling if their rebranded battery is exactly the same or slightly different. Deka still supplies Sears in my region except for AGM. However, can get Deka much cheaper than equivalent Diehard.

I'm a believer there is a lot of 'relabeling' going on. I imagine EPA regs are pretty stringent with a battery plant, that's why there are only 2-3 big ones.

I went through a saw blade plant (iig saw, band saw circular saw) in north carolina in the 80s that made 5 to ten brands of saw blades.
They had one manufacturing line, and sprayed on different names.
sears, miller, kmart, rockwell, vermont amrican etc all the same.
on batteries the weight might be a tell.

Last edited:
Artbuc:
I was responding to batteries sold at stores x,y,and z. That all have the same specs or very similar.
To compare a silver line battery to a platinum line battery is not fair.
The manufacturers do make multiple batteries in different configurations in every size
To make things simple let's say three designs for each silver, gold and platinum.
From time to time to meet the need of a retailer they do de-spec and build let's call it a bronze line battery.
But we are talking about comparing apples to apples.
If you look at retailer x, y and z. And they all have a group 24 battery and the specs are the same or very similar then you very well might be comparing the same battery like if the group 24 has a standard oem rating of 530 ca, you look at retailer x y and z and the spec range is 565-580 but
If x is 565, y is 700, and z is 875 they are obviously not the same.

Originally Posted By: pdxglocker9mm
Artbuc:
I was responding to batteries sold at stores x,y,and z. That all have the same specs or very similar.
To compare a silver line battery to a platinum line battery is not fair.
The manufacturers do make multiple batteries in different configurations in every size
To make things simple let's say three designs for each silver, gold and platinum.
From time to time to meet the need of a retailer they do de-spec and build let's call it a bronze line battery.
But we are talking about comparing apples to apples.
If you look at retailer x, y and z. And they all have a group 24 battery and the specs are the same or very similar then you very well might be comparing the same battery like if the group 24 has a standard oem rating of 530 ca, you look at retailer x y and z and the spec range is 565-580 but
If x is 565, y is 700, and z is 875 they are obviously not the same.

Gotcha. Thanks.

And don't forget the big retailers like Walmart do have contracts that end and they could switch. And they could have North/South contracts for batteries. Or East/West.

Interstate has a special relationship with JCI and will always be made by JCI.

I bought a Walmart MAXX battery for my Jeep made by Exide. It failed in 20 months and the free replacement was a JCI MAXX. Same or very close Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back