Are beautiful tools made to use or display?

I searched for the available Nepros ratchets and found this work of art. Are these designed for use or are they just showpieces for people with extra cash?

Screenshot_20240504_183640.jpg

Display apparently. I have a beautiful set of wood chisels (a gift) that I've almost never used. I also have a few mismatched crappy chisels that I keep sharp and use all the time. I used to feel guilty about this but was talking to an 85 year old pattern maker who admitted he did the same thing. People are funny.

One of the body shops I worked at the owner bought her husband a Mac or Snap-On Harley Davidson Anniversary tool box fully stocked. Supposedly it cost $100k. It sat in the shop unused and covered in dust but that's probably because he wasn't a mechanic! It sure was a nice box with custom air brushed paint work. Not my style but it was nicely done.

Last edited:
I guess if you have a lot of money you display those fancy tools. Any tool I have ever bought has been to use.

A tool thats only for display is a waste of money IMO. I have a limited edition snapon toolbox that I bought because it fit my needs and I thought it was cool, but its held tools since the day I bought it. My other limited edition tools (mostly nascar stuff or snapon 100th anniversary) are the same way

Really? You guys don't collect anything? I full well know that some here have "many" guns in their safe, far more than is practically needed. People collect much dumber things than tools. Coins, stamps - a few of which might have value, but for the most part these collections are just conversation pieces. But correct, to each his own and I imagine many people collect things for the entertainment value.

A fellow forester/outdoorsman uses pocket knives a lot, but has a collection of nearly a fifty. Trust me, he does not use most of these knives. He just likes to collect unique ones.

On that note, for his retirement I gifted him a Michigan made semi custom knife with Birdseye maple handle and I made a birdseye maple case to display it (has an engraved plate). I KNOW he is not going to use this knife.
1714874457702.jpeg
1714874751921.jpeg

Last edited:
People collect all sorts of things, why should tools be any different? Your money spend it as you see fit. At some of those prices I'd be passing though. ;)

Back