anyone running Toyota T-IV fluid in a tranny rated for Toyota WS?

hey all, just curious if anyone is running toyota t-iv fluid or a different strict t-iv fluid in a tranny rated for ws?
I know in vehicles that are rated for T-IV it is okay to use WS however I have not seen the same backdating for T-IV.

In other words I have not seen a bulletin in where T-IV can be used in a WS tranny

The reason I believe WS can be used in a T-IV is because WS is thinner then T-IV so I assume Toyota thinks that a thinner fluid won't do damage however since T-IV is thicker then they probably don't want it to be too thick for a WS tranny. Or the reason could be the base oil is presumbly lower quality compared to WS so maybe toyota doesn't want people running T-IV in a WS tranny and doing long intervals in which T-IV was not designed for?

I am however curious if anyone has ran T-IV fluid in a WS tranny and if anything resulted that was bad or etc? I assume someone who wants more tranny protection could indeed use T-IV fluid. Also one of the Aisin ATF fluids overseas is rated at
KV40 - 36.69
KV100 - 7.41

it is a all in one that covers T-IV and WS and many other trannys. However it seems that the viscosity on it is much closer to T-IV vs the WS. WS in america is around 5.9-6 on the kv100.

looking to hear experiences!

The reason I believe WS can be used in a T-IV is because WS is thinner then T-IV so I assume Toyota thinks that a thinner fluid won't do damage however since T-IV is thicker then they probably don't want it to be too thick for a WS tranny.
Viscosity isn't the only requirement of transmission fluids.

Have you ever actually changed the fluid in this transmission? You have numerous other rather lengthy threads about sundry aspects of ATF, but I don't ever recall where you performed maintenance.

Do you own a Toyota?

"anyone running Toyota T-IV fluid in a tranny rated for Toyota WS?"

Never heard of it. I dont see why you would want to unless you lived on a remote island where Toyota WS fluid is extinct, which in of itself is unlikely.

I would expect it to be like running Dex III in a newer Dex VI trans.
If it's a robust brand it should be as good or better for durability.
(I understand why every mfgr wants lower viscosity for efficiency.)

Have you ever actually changed the fluid in this transmission? You have numerous other rather lengthy threads about sundry aspects of ATF, but I don't ever recall where you performed maintenance.

Do you own a Toyota?
Yes! I used the castrol Transmax CVT atf universal but I started this thread out of curiosity regarding thick tranny fluid lovers

"anyone running Toyota T-IV fluid in a tranny rated for Toyota WS?"

Never heard of it. I dont see why you would want to unless you lived on a remote island where Toyota WS fluid is extinct, which in of itself is unlikely.
Fair enough I was asking more regarding people who have a stash of old fluid sitting around and decided to use that

I try not to build up a stash of lubricants, even though the vehicles I maintain are typically around for +20 years.

I do have a hoard of Toyota T-IV for the LS; I had a long forgotten case in the shed when I purchased the last case. There's also a few unopened cases of Valvoline Dex-VI that was intended for the Safari before it was totaled.

I’m using Motul Multi ATF in my Range Rover, Aisin TF-81SC. It’s designed for T-WS. But every time there were jerks in hot weather… I changed oil to Motul Multi ATF (it has the same viscosity as T-IV). And I’m very satisfied!!! Everything is fine now (30 000km)

I’m using Motul Multi ATF in my Range Rover, Aisin TF-81SC. It’s designed for T-WS. But every time there were jerks in hot weather… I changed oil to Motul Multi ATF (it has the same viscosity as T-IV). And I’m very satisfied!!! Everything is fine now (30 000km)
wow that is a thick fluid for sure. WS is thin so that is why I wanted to go for a WS rated fluid such as Castrol ATF CVT universal that says it covers WS. The castrol i ran is at
@40C = 34.2 cSt
@100c = 7.1 cst

The motul multi atf which covers WS is at
@40C = 36.2 cSt
@100c = 7.6 cst

Normal toyota ws is around:

@40C = 23 cSt
@100c = 5.45cst

something such as:
Maxlife ATF which also covers WS
@40C = 27.6 cSt
@100c = 5.88cst

Aisin 0WS - 2010s fluid pdf
@40C= 34.88 cSt
@100C = 7.332 cSt

AISIN ATF-0WS - newer WS fluid by AISIN however this is the North american version
KV40 - 27.93
KV100 - 5.8

and now AISIN AFW+ (also covers WS) offered only overseas is rated at
KV40 - 36.69
KV100 - 7.41

I don't think you are doing any damage running your motul, seems like AISIN specs a thicker WS fluid overseas compared to what is available in america. Seems like also aisin in 2010's was selling a thick WS fluid as stated above but reformulated it thinner probably due to CAFE for north america but is still spec'ing the thicker 7.4CST Aisin fluid overseas. Seems like these tranny's love thick fluid

wow that is a thick fluid for sure. WS is thin so that is why I wanted to go for a WS rated fluid such as Castrol ATF CVT universal that says it covers WS. The castrol i ran is at
@40C = 34.2 cSt
@100c = 7.1 cst

The motul multi atf which covers WS is at
@40C = 36.2 cSt
@100c = 7.6 cst

Normal toyota ws is around:

@40C = 23 cSt
@100c = 5.45cst

something such as:
Maxlife ATF which also covers WS
@40C = 27.6 cSt
@100c = 5.88cst

Aisin 0WS - 2010s fluid pdf
@40C= 34.88 cSt
@100C = 7.332 cSt

AISIN ATF-0WS - newer WS fluid by AISIN however this is the North american version
KV40 - 27.93
KV100 - 5.8

and now AISIN AFW+ (also covers WS) offered only overseas is rated at
KV40 - 36.69
KV100 - 7.41

I don't think you are doing any damage running your motul, seems like AISIN specs a thicker WS fluid overseas compared to what is available in america. Seems like also aisin in 2010's was selling a thick WS fluid as stated above but reformulated it thinner probably due to CAFE for north america but is still spec'ing the thicker 7.4CST Aisin fluid overseas. Seems like these tranny's love thick fluid
The same model of Aisin I had in my previous Mazda CX-7 2.3 turbo. And Toyota T-IV was required for it in manual. But in RR the software was changed it was designed for WS. But from my personal experience more thick oil is better for it…

hey all, just curious if anyone is running toyota t-iv fluid or a different strict t-iv fluid in a tranny rated for ws?
I know in vehicles that are rated for T-IV it is okay to use WS however I have not seen the same backdating for T-IV.

In other words I have not seen a bulletin in where T-IV can be used in a WS tranny

The reason I believe WS can be used in a T-IV is because WS is thinner then T-IV so I assume Toyota thinks that a thinner fluid won't do damage however since T-IV is thicker then they probably don't want it to be too thick for a WS tranny. Or the reason could be the base oil is presumbly lower quality compared to WS so maybe toyota doesn't want people running T-IV in a WS tranny and doing long intervals in which T-IV was not designed for?

I am however curious if anyone has ran T-IV fluid in a WS tranny and if anything resulted that was bad or etc? I assume someone who wants more tranny protection could indeed use T-IV fluid. Also one of the Aisin ATF fluids overseas is rated at
KV40 - 36.69
KV100 - 7.41

it is a all in one that covers T-IV and WS and many other trannys. However it seems that the viscosity on it is much closer to T-IV vs the WS. WS in america is around 5.9-6 on the kv100.

looking to hear experiences!
Dude don’t do it!!! Search my posts - just went though this - used a WS spec oil from a different, highly trusted, brand that has a higher kinetic viscosity and it had an adverse effect. It’s too thick for the pump!

I flushed with 12 liter Toyota WS and solved it.

Stick with OEM.

As someone commented - pay now or pay later…

Dude don’t do it!!! Search my posts - just went though this - used a WS spec oil from a different, highly trusted, brand that has a higher kinetic viscosity and it had an adverse effect. It’s too thick for the pump!

I flushed with 12 liter Toyota WS and solved it.

Stick with OEM.

As someone commented - pay now or pay later…
What happened? Too thick for the pump? How does it act when a fluid is cold?

What happened? Too thick for the pump? How does it act when a fluid is cold?
He reported a hum and vibration:

Back