American Refining Brad Penn Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of the specs on this oil?

http://www.amref.com/CMSFiles/File/bp_pb/7110_BP_FSGF_MO_PB.pdf
10e331k.jpg

15n1snd.jpg

I think I can get it for ~$42/case of 12.

Thoughts?

Not sure. I get it right at the Refinery.

The Viscosity index of 150 seems a little low. Thoughts from the more knowledgable on here?

Their Penn Grade 1 0w-30 is much more appealing with it's 170 viscosity index and 3.3HT/HS.

I used to run the 20/50 in my Harley. It held up real well compared to other oils I used. It used to be green in color. I don't know if it's changed any over the years. It comes from the old Kendall oil well. Do any of you remember when Kendall oil was green.

We sure are spoiled when we get an oil with a 150 VI and complain about it. These are the oils we should be looking for because they are of a much more natural nature. Many lubes with very high VI's have loads of added VII's which shear and do who knows what else. This is right in the slot for a very good lube and I would bet that coming from AMREF it is. I would load up on that stuff if I could get it for that price.

Last edited:
Chubbs, the VI is not the only reason I am not impressed. Starting TBN isn't as high as I'd like to see and the MRV isn't so hot either.

I like the fact that Brad Penn is catering to newer vehicles with the dexos1 and API SN certs, but for my money there's plenty of other oils I'd rather run.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Their Penn Grade 1 0w-30 is much more appealing with it's 170 viscosity index and 3.3HT/HS.

Yes, and until you mentioned it, I had no clue that the Bradford based company even made a 0Wxx synthetic!!

This oil doesn't look all that exciting on paper, but $3.50/qt for a Grp III synthetic is pretty reasonable.
It would be interesting were you to do a few runs of this oil and then UOA the third run.
The results might make this BITOG's new sleeper oil.

The 0w30 is a racing oil, not street car approved due to high additive levels. Great for older cars or street rods, not for modern cars with emission control systems. I was looking at the 5w30 oil for my 2010 Tahoe.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Yes, and until you mentioned it, I had no clue that the Bradford based company even made a 0Wxx synthetic!!

Actually, (Not that it matters) they call it a "Partial Synthetic". I quizzed them on it and they said it's a hydrocracked and PAO oil...

Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
The 0w30 is a racing oil, not street car approved due to high additive levels. Great for older cars or street rods, not for modern cars with emission control systems. I was looking at the 5w30 oil for my 2010 Tahoe.

People make it out like if they run oils with high additives, their cars and trucks are going to freak out... Nobody has any issues running HDEO's, Red Line or any of the other boutique oils and they're loaded.

If your vehicle doesn't burn massive amounts of oil, you'll be just fine.

Amazing,an oil that doesnt get talked about much on this forum,and it gets knocked like it's garbage.

FWIW,alot of people run Brad Pen in their race cars,and when the motors are torn down,they have exceptional clearances. So I really doubt they would make a garbage street oil.

The Bradford, PA refinery is an antiquated joke. I wouldn't buy a 3-in-1 oil made there.

Wonder where thy are getting their synthetic base stock from?

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
The Bradford, PA refinery is an antiquated joke. I wouldn't buy a 3-in-1 oil made there.

Wonder where thy are getting their synthetic base stock from?

When was the last time you were there? They added a hydrotreater and did many updates over the past few years. I would disagree on your assessment.

I bet you buy oil made there and don't even know it as they make and bottle several name brand oils there.

It looks like Brad Penn is adding to their high-zddp oil marketing niche by going for a share of the ILSAC mass market. Since it is an SN-rated oil, it will be limited to 800ppm Phosphorous, but they have played it up on the PDS that the oil meets SN requirements for zddp retention. The rest of the specs look so-so compared to competing 5w30 synthetics. I wish they had included the HTHS and NOACK specs. If the oil is commonly available at $4.50/qt, maybe they can get a worthwhile piece of the market.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back