Additive recommends for April 2024

New here , yet have read many posts.

I see some posts about all additives as "snake oil"
I see some posts from years ago about formulas changing.

I ought a new Dodge Caravan (4 cyl) in 1998 and the dealer sold me an oil additive package. Has 170K on now and I have used BG EPR 109 and STP manifold cleaner on it. I put in Costco 5 W-30 synthetic oil

In 2017 I bought a new Kia Sorento (4 cyl) GDI and the manual indicates using a gas additive. Also the dealer used BG additives to clean out top end at 30 k and 50 k miles
The Kia dealer recently went to Petron Plus instead of BG.
The Kia had a recent unsuccessful piston soak that did not take care of the 2 qts per 1K miles (at 67K miles). I am in process of getting a new engine. I had constant 5k oil changes at dealer. I use top tier gas

How do I take care of this new engine? What "snake oil" do I use now.....Archoil 9100, Petron Plus, DT 550..??
I see many YouTubes of all sorts of additives but some/many are several years old
I see where Archoil even changed from zinc to Potassium Borate.
I know some will say just put in Amsoil or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and nothing else. But this is a GDI monster.

Motor oil formulations change all the time. Do you understand what the changes mean and what any additive may do to influence those changes? No additive with help a "GDI monster" if you're referencing fuel dilution.

You might ask a moderator to move this thread to the Additive section since I don't think we have any additive sponsors here, only blenders and formulators.

Imho, start changing oil every 4k miles, I saw big diff in used oil between after 4k and after 5k miles.
To keep fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines and injectors clean (of gunk) - use Gumout Regane Complete or Regane High Mileage - those two have high % of PEA and are cheap at WM.

New here , yet have read many posts.

I see some posts about all additives as "snake oil"
I see some posts from years ago about formulas changing.

I ought a new Dodge Caravan (4 cyl) in 1998 and the dealer sold me an oil additive package. Has 170K on now and I have used BG EPR 109 and STP manifold cleaner on it. I put in Costco 5 W-30 synthetic oil

In 2017 I bought a new Kia Sorento (4 cyl) GDI and the manual indicates using a gas additive. Also the dealer used BG additives to clean out top end at 30 k and 50 k miles
The Kia dealer recently went to Petron Plus instead of BG.
The Kia had a recent unsuccessful piston soak that did not take care of the 2 qts per 1K miles (at 67K miles). I am in process of getting a new engine. I had constant 5k oil changes at dealer. I use top tier gas

How do I take care of this new engine? What "snake oil" do I use now.....Archoil 9100, Petron Plus, DT 550..??
I see many YouTubes of all sorts of additives but some/many are several years old
I see where Archoil even changed from zinc to Potassium Borate.
I know some will say just put in Amsoil or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and nothing else. But this is a GDI monster.
I like ceratec on our GDI engines.
Especially our turbo.

An extra layer of protection for those theta2 bearings.

Also short OCI is your friend.

I like ceratec on our GDI engines.
Especially our turbo.

An extra layer of protection for those theta2 bearings.

Also short OCI is your friend.
I am leaning to LM Ceretec as well as Archoil, Petron Plus and Bestline. Only Ceretec is sold at AutoZone..BUT Archoil at least tells what is the ingredient that is the alternative for ZDDP.. (Potasium Tetraborate?) I would like to see what is the super ingredient on a list of popular additives...
Let's see...Archoil 9100, Atomoil, Bestline, BG MOA, DT550, Duralube, Hot shots, Liqui Moly, Lubeguard, Lucas, MMO, Motorkote, Prolong, Petron Plus, , REV X, Rislone, Seafoam, Slick 50, STP Ceramic, TriboTex, TurboMax, XADO, ZDDP, , ..KITCHEN SINK!!!!! . WHICH ONE DID I MISS????????

I am leaning to LM Ceretec as well as Archoil, Petron Plus and Bestline. Only Ceretec is sold at AutoZone..BUT Archoil at least tells what is the ingredient that is the alternative for ZDDP.. (Potasium Tetraborate?) I would like to see what is the super ingredient on a list of popular additives...
Let's see...Archoil 9100, Atomoil, Bestline, BG MOA, DT550, Duralube, Hot shots, Liqui Moly, Lubeguard, Lucas, MMO, Motorkote, Prolong, Petron Plus, , REV X, Rislone, Seafoam, Slick 50, STP Ceramic, TriboTex, TurboMax, XADO, ZDDP, , ..KITCHEN SINK!!!!! . WHICH ONE DID I MISS????????
Sometimes humor is elusive.

Back