$60k Harley Davidson?!!

Same reasons guys will go out and spend $80-100k on a jacked up, blinged out, diesel 4WD bro-dozer that’ll never see anything but pavement, and not have enough room in the garage to park it.
Except that the parts count on that diesel truck is at least an order of magnitude higher. In the case of the truck, there is appropriate value for the money.

There is an ass for every seat. Always has been and always will be.
60k and a buyer will toss an extra grand on for ''accessories'' to complete the poser look. Apes for example.
They usually sell out the CVO bikes.

There is some sort of intrinsic value in Harley-Davidson bikes that I've never been able to grasp. The allure certainly can't be build quality. My brother has two of them, and he spends most of his time on his knees in the garage fixing them. He has what's called a "primary" leak every other time we talk. No thanks... Especially for that kinda cheddar.
Kevin Cameron wrote a Cycle World article on this very thing. My take on his article was that the HD was built for the long American roads and steady speed conditions, not the tight European roads, and not the busy Asian cities. The heavy frames, the big loafing engines, the relaxed seating positions all worked well here.

I've written many estimates on these hogs and the owners were usually white collar dudes / mid life crises types. Bikes were low mileage
...and only ridden on Sundays. Has to be warm, dry weather too, not a cloud in the sky!

They will sell every single one they make, and wont make many of those.
Dealers probably have deposits for bikes on order or waiting lists.

Any one who thinks the build quality and paint on this thing is not very very good is either fooling themselves or living in the past (This aint an AMF) and i promise photos do not do the paint justice. Even though this particular paint isn't my cup of tea, it will be stunning in person...

I personally would rather have an ST and the change, but if this is what you want no shade from me.

Except that the parts count on that diesel truck is at least an order of magnitude higher. In the case of the truck, there is appropriate value for the money.
No, there isn’t. Probably not even $20k of total material cost on the truck. They are the cheapest thing for automakers to manufacture. Maybe cheaper to make the Harley, but no justification for that $80k+ cost of that bro-dozer.

IDK, If I were to start talking about ignorant posts, I would perhaps refrain from assuming people’s feelings, financial status or the motorcycle type being discussed (it’s not a custom motorcycle).

I will be the first one to tell people not to worry how others spend their money, but this thread isn’t about that.

I also like Harleys and although I have not owned one yet, I’m would not mind a Fatboy or a Road King, maybe an ultra classic. I pretty much like all motorcycles, but there becomes a point where one has to wonder just how much more of “stuff” are you getting for the money.
Maybe you can explain what this thread is about?
You post a video from a random person who can't afford a CUSTOM MOTORCYCLE and yes, it is a custom motorcycle
CVO = CUSTOM VEHICLE OPERATIONS

What is the educational or purpose of the whole thread? You say "its not about that" The point I am trying to make is what is it about other then an ignorant video from some random person who for some reason caught your attention on a motorcycle he has no interest in?
Then to further insult himself compares it to a model decades earlier *LOL*

It has to be one of the most pointless posts I ever saw on BITOG!!

Ok about ignorant comment.
1. Only 1500 of these motorcycles are being made from Harley Davidson CUSTOM VEHICLE OPERATIONS, each one will be engraved with a serial number indicating what number out of that 1500 it was manufactured. Everything is CUSTOM on the bike, from custom paint with unmatched quality in the entire world to every possible accessory that Harley offers.

2. Silly that someone would comment that they know someone who has two Harleys that leak oil.

3. Someone comments they can buy a Goldwing at half the price? I would say, and? I can buy anything in life cheaper. I wonder if this person knows he can buy a Harley Road Glide ($22,000) for less than a Goldwing if he wants something not custom. IN fact for half the price he can buy a Harley Road Glide Limited ($30,000) for half the price too. SO what it is the point of that statement?

4. To me it just seems like these statements are made out of ignorance, including the person with the Video which is the most ridiculous you tube I ever saw.

5. If you dont have $60,000 to spend on a limited edition, custom motorcycle (or any product) then buy the mainstream model for half the price.

I own a Harley Road King, bought new 2014. 9 years old over 30,000 miles, never needed a repair and doesnt leak a drop of oil. (that is the most comical remark I see about Harleys)
I own a 2017 Chevy Traverse. I LOVE the Mid size SUV, never needed a repair yet. Tow Package and factory upgraded wheels are great. But I dont claim something that cost 300% more is a waste of money, like a Land Rover Range Rover with the Westminster package, it's just something I cant afford or chose not too.

Last edited:
In my younger years, I owned two Harleys and two BMWs. The Beamers were smooth as silk, but the Harley was a lot more fun for Boulevard cruising.

Kevin Cameron wrote a Cycle World article on this very thing. My take on his article was that the HD was built for the long American roads and steady speed conditions, not the tight European roads, and not the busy Asian cities. The heavy frames, the big loafing engines, the relaxed seating positions all worked well here.

I don't much like getting stuck behind them on 2-lane roads around here, mainly because they seem to take the curves on those roads at about the same speed you might expect a dump truck to take them.

They will sell every single one they make, and wont make many of those.
1500 is the amount that they will produce. I think it's pretty cool that the specific production number for the bike is engraved on an emblem on the tank.
Ah... the paint. You know, first glance I felt the same, the photography to my surprise is NOT doing it justice. I watched a number of photos and videos and many photos are dark. I saw one or two someplace and close up I am sure the finish and sparkle is incredible.
People like me relish fit, finish and paint on any vehicle and I am sure nothing comes close on this bike.

Gosh... here I go again rambling on. All I meant to say as a looked around the internet I took a real liking to the paint and if I had the means, it would be in my garage.

Im sure they are all sold by now and we will never get a chance to see one in a showroom.

Harleys are beautiful bikes in my opinion. I prefer a sport bike . I never have ridden a Harley , my neighbor said take my bike for a ride,,, I sat on the late model dresser and It is so heavy it scared the heck out of me. I wouldn't ride it . Some friends have Harleys and love them. The thing about motorcycles is there are cruisers, sport bikes, dirt bikes, adventure bikes etc, and all that matter is that we have fun riding them.

Last edited:
@alarmguy would you buy one?
Would you be so offended if you didn’t own a Harley?
There we go again. You assume I am offended for pointing out facts.
Who is more qualified to respond in here?
I owned a Suzuki C50, Yamaha Star 1300 Tourer and a bought new 2014 Harley Road King.

So why would you think I am offended? Ive owned a small mix of bikes.
Im not offended at all, I am just pointing out the comments in here and the video is so bogus coming from people who have no interest in owning a factory custom vehicle of any brand and type. What's more is no one commenting here owns a late model custom cruiser.
The comments so bogus, ignoring the FACT that Harley Davidson Limited Road Glides are half the price of the CUSTOM Model we are discussing.

There is VALUE in custom anything. Ohhhh.. boy tell me that no one ever went to a custom car show and said wow, look at that paint, oh that engine oh this and that. So why does anyone care what someone else is willing to pay for a custom vehicle or even a custom watch they wear on their wrist.

Would I own one? I dont think I can answer that question honestly for one reason only I do not have the means to own top shelf everything regarding all the toys I have owned. DO I ADMIRE things in showrooms? ABSOLUTELY, I do the same at car and boat shows too.

Oh .... and all the same old BS about leaking oil that someone knows... laughable, while not mentioning the model and age of the bike.

Last edited:
But I could buy like 10 brand new Suzuki DRs for that money! 😁

I bet they sell them all... and if I had an airplane hanger, and a few mil in the bank, I'd be one of those buyers... just because.

Does that include your remarks as well ? 🤔
Well why dont you back that up with facts like I have?
Oops

Here you are comparing a Honda Goldwing to a Custom motorcycle. Its laughable. Nothing about a Honda is Custom. Gosh you can scrap the paint off with your fingernails. Not that I have anything against the Goldwing. Everything is a choice.

DO you own a Goldwing? If you did you would know the $30,000 Harley Davidson Road Glide Limited is every bit as competitive and more against a Goldwing... Heck even a $23,000 Harley Davidson Road Glide is competitive.

But I could buy like 10 brand new Suzuki DRs for that money! 😁

I bet they sell them all... and if I had an airplane hanger, and a few mil in the bank, I'd be one of those buyers... just because.
Yeah, no doubt that they are all sold. But who knows? maybe there is a deal someplace with a $20,000 mark up above the $50,000 or 60,000 price and it will still sell.

Im much in your camp. If I ever sold the Road King, to change things up I would consider a Concours 14 but one problem with that is my wife loves the comfort of the King AND tells me she wont get on the Concours because the back is too high up. I cant blame her as she loves to ride with me, we have a good marriage and I enjoy her company. She is fine if I got one but doesn't think she will keep riding.
In all fairness, I would feel insecure being a passenger on a bike period. Then to sit high up on the back, I wouldnt want to do it either.

Then I get on the Road King and Im still in awe every time. I can ride hours on end doing a GPS 85 MPH effortlessly on the interstate, two up and with luggage. The bike never breaks a sweat, planted and rock solid passing semi's.

Next time a rider asks if BMW is more expensive than HD, I will say no way, and bring this up
Here better yet, show him the actual cost.
A loaded BMW compared to a loaded Harley Road Glide Limited. I bet they are the same price (and available in many more colors)

Yeah, no doubt that they are all sold. But who knows? maybe there is a deal someplace with a $20,000 mark up above the $50,000 or 60,000 price and it will still sell.

Im much in your camp. If I ever sold the Road King, to change things up I would consider a Concours 14 but one problem with that is my wife loves the comfort of the King AND tells me she wont get on the Concours because the back is too high up. I cant blame her as she loves to ride with me, we have a good marriage and I enjoy her company. She is fine if I got one but doesn't think she will keep riding.
In all fairness, I would feel insecure being a passenger on a bike period. Then to sit high up on the back, I wouldnt want to do it either.

Then I get on the Road King and Im still in awe every time. I can ride hours on end doing a GPS 85 MPH effortlessly on the interstate, two up and with luggage. The bike never breaks a sweat, planted and rock solid passing semi's.
If your spouse loves riding, that's all you need to know! My wife said she would consider it if I got a Goldwing 😁

Back