2020 Subaru STi 21k miles. Need help selecting 5w-30 oil (extended SoA 8 year 80k warranty)

Their wording is legal gobbledygook, "have your cake and eat it to". I'm really doing my best not to read much into this but it does state "but it should be changed to 5W-30 synthetic oil at the next oil change".

View attachment 216052
You do know why it says that, right? The grade restriction has absolutely zero to do with any technical requirement.

You would be comfortable running an ILSAC RC oil in a 300hp 2.5 liter?

Think 600Hp mustang 5.0 foxbody when you think Sti for a power density comparison.

@bluesubie has a ton of pressurised EJ experience

@kschachn post #10 sounds reasonable.
The M139 from mercedes would like to enter the chat, which is more power dense and runs a 0w20.
Special Tec LL 5w30 meets the requirements for the extended warranty while also being MB 229.5 and VW 502/505 licensed.

I just switched my 22 wrx (FA motor not EJ) to 5w30 (manual calls for 0w20 but says use thicker oil in hot weather) Valvoline R&P. I chose this because it meets API SP with resource conserving and has an HTHS of 3.24, which is pretty impressive for an ILSAC GF-6A oil.

I am looking at potentially going to a mobil 1 0w40 Euro formula or ESP 5W30

PP Euro L 5w30 is fine oil and was the only oil my kids Volvo C30 did not consume for 7k oci's. Mobil, Castrol would be down 1-2qts in that time frame. If you want a 5w30, that would be my vote. Any 5w40 would work, I'd use whichever was on sale, rebate or QSFS Euro 5w40 as it's around $23/5qt normally if you don't want to price hunt.

Their wording is legal gobbledygook.
Welcome to Subaru and CAFE!

As you can probably see in your Saabaru, the owner's manuals were not quite as bad prior to a major rewrite around 2010. It was more specific in allowances for thicker grades like the Subaru Japan manuals still do today. The JDM FA24DIT, which specs 0W-20 as it does here, also allows 5W-30 and Euro 0W-30. The JDM Crosstrek even has the same recommendations although the 2024 Crosstrek here specs 0W-16. And I'm sure you can find comments all over the web that say the Crosstrek engine was "built for" 0W-16!

Last edited:
Welcome to Subaru and CAFE!

As you can probably see in your Saabaru, the owner's manuals were not quite as bad prior to a major rewrite around 2010. It was more specific in allowances for thicker grades like the Subaru Japan manuals still do today. The JDM FA24DIT, which specs 0W-20 as it does here, also allows 5W-30 and Euro 0W-30. The JDM Crosstrek even has the same recommendations although the 2024 Crosstrek here specs 0W-16. And I'm sure you can find comments all over the web that say the Crosstrek engine was "built for" 0W-16!
This is why I switched my 22 wrx to 5w30 and looking at potentially a 0w30 or 40. I still want API SP or ILSAC GF6A which aren't common with these viscosities. But living in Atlanta, Georgia, gets really hot during summer.

Back