2018 Transit transmission replacement costs

6 speed, quit buying them so don't have any experience with the 2020+ models.
Yeah, I was going to say a high failure rate on the ZF transmissions was going to surprise me. I try to actually comment and explain instead of doing the 'giggle time' bit.

Yeah, I was going to say a high failure rate on the ZF transmissions was going to surprise me. I try to actually comment and explain instead of doing the 'giggle time' bit.
I didn't even know they changed. Hopefully the new ones are better. I feel bad for people when I see them driving around converted into van life "motorhomes". We've had some many issues with them it's become a joke. One was even at the dealer for over a month to figure out why the obd2 connector wouldn't connect, making it unable to be slogged & registered.

Yeah, Stellantis finally figured out that many of their transmissions were garbage and decided to source what some would call the gold standard before their reputation completely tanked.

Had a 1/10 dose of lubegaurd red not completely changed how my 10r80 was shifting at 18,000 miles, I suspect we would have been forced out of the truck. It was banging out of third and would on occasion get so confused it would give up and slip to neutral. I had to pull off the road, in traffic, more than once. At that time I suspected valve body problems and think I was right.

I’ve had to up the LG dose as it’s gotten a little worse. I’ll be surprised if it makes it to 100k, and it’s had its second fluid change at 65k.

Dealer told me “it’s normal, they all do this.”

I’m past warranty. If the class action lawsuit happens, I may opt to participate in this one (I’ve never opted to participate in one before). Regardless, I’m just going to drive it. When this transmission behaves, it can truly drive like a work of art.

Also, agree with a post above, the GM programming is really good, feels more succinct and well-sorted.

I have a buddy with a 10r80 in his gmc - shrapnel at 118,000 - they have issues too.

It’s really a shame. I’m not sure why they haven’t sorted it out - GM has torque converter issues, ford has VB and CDE drum known issues.

130k on this van, quote from the Ford dealer is $7,200 for a replacement transmission, seems awfully high. Thoughts? 3.5 EB V6.

BohCPdV.png
This was the reason I got rid of my 2021 Ranger. Ford has way too involved transmissions which aren’t reliable. Look across the board at their civilian vehicles and their police line. Lots of issues

My 2021 Ranger had a $9,200 replacement cost for the transmission. Mine began having issues by 32,000. By 39,000 it was awfully annoying and getting worse.

Regardless, traded it in to Toyota and now am in a ‘24 4Runner. Hopefully my last vehicle for 10+ years.

Here'a another expensive transmission story. There's a fella on a Nissan Frontier board I frequent that has a 2020 Frontier, which was the first year for the GDI 3.8L and the Jatco built version of the MB 9G-tronic 9spd transmission. He's been experiencing what he believes is torque converter shudder on it that started at just over 60K miles. Being out of warranty, a Nissan dealer quoted him ~$17K to replace the transmission with a new one. He pursued the situation with Nissan corporate and they offered an $8500 "deal". He's still driving it as is. Currently at ~74K miles. He says he did a fluid change at something like ~35K and 65K. I'd get the ullra low viscosity ATF out of there personally and see how it goes, but that's going off into the weeds for this thread.

Back