2012 Kia Optima LX 2.4L 4,358 miles, 9 mos in engine. Amsoil XL 5W-30

Some fuel dilution causing viscosity loss. But other than that, analysis looks good. Changed oil due to being 9 months in engine. Next time I'll change at 5k. Kia/Hyundai oil filter

Lubricant Analysis Report Ashley.jpg

With all the gasoline oil product changes recently, I don't see the XL lineup listed at Amsoil's website anymore.
Viscosity held up well in this UOA, despite the 3.4% fuel dilution.
(y)

Everything looks good except Tin as highlighted & the gasoline. Looks like you changed this sample. Viscosity is not bad for the mileage & dilution. Keep it up.

The silver is a bit weird, but at only 2ppm, I'd just consider it noise. Does the Amsoil start with Silver in it? Oxidation and base number both indicate plenty of life left. Your suggestion of taking it to 5k next time is good. With good oxidation and TBN it's tempting to push it out farther, but the 3.4% fuel should cause caution with extending it out too far. I agree with 5k for next OCI.

I wish I had a uoa of ours just before it seized up. I assume there would be high copper right as it's the rod bearings that fail on these.
Certainly doesn't appear that this one is about to seize. How many miles on the engine?

I wish I had a uoa of ours just before it seized up. I assume there would be high copper right as it's the rod bearings that fail on these.
Certainly doesn't appear that this one is about to seize. How many miles on the engine?
128,008 miles.

With all the gasoline oil product changes recently, I don't see the XL lineup listed at Amsoil's website anymore.
Viscosity held up well in this UOA, despite the 3.4% fuel dilution.
(y)
XL is now called Extended Life. It was labeled XL still when this oil change was made

First engine? Ours had 94k when it seized up. How it has less than 1k.
Yes, still first engine. But my 2016 kia Optima SXL 2.0L Turbo spun a rod bearing at 140k. Got a new engine out of it. But unfortunately I was rear ended last year and the car was totaled. Would have kept the car for life.

Yes, still first engine. But my 2016 kia Optima SXL 2.0L Turbo spun a rod bearing at 140k. Got a new engine out of it. But unfortunately I was rear ended last year and the car was totaled. Would have kept the car for life.
Rest of the car seems pretty reliable other than the engine. So hopefully we can keep this one for another 5 years at least. Then my wife will be sick of it.
I've had the same 84 Oldsmobile since 2007 but I don't drive it in the winter.

Back