Pro-Gard, Techron or BG44K ... makes any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

just found this board, looks like the experts are here ;-)
there is my Q.

I have around 50k ml on my Civic
does make any sense to use any cleaners as preventive maintains?
if yes - which one?

that what I found so far:

BG44K - $22. (Internet) for 10k ml
Techron - $6. (Wal-Mart) for 3k ml
Pro-Gard (with Techron) - $2.5 (Costco) for 1k ml

thanks for any comments
bb

quote:

Originally posted by mikek753:
hi,

there is my Q.

if yes - which one?

thanks for any comments
bb

Of those, Techron would be my choice. I think that the Redline product is better though, and you can use it regularly (not really supposed to do that with Techron or BG44K, proguard might be OK but the RL is cheaper on a per dose basis for maintenance use...) SI-2 I think is the name of the RL product.

I like the BG44K a lot. Yes it is expensive but it does one heck of job cleaning out your fuel system. It is nasty stuff and you should not use it more than once every 6 months. It is recommended that you change your oil fairly soon after you run it through your fuel system. Most cars only need to use it once a year. The Techron although not as strong is a decent product and can be used more often. As far as the use of Techron every 3000 miles goes I would say every 7500 miles would be more like it.

quote:

hi,

there is my Q.

if yes - which one?

thanks for any comments
bb

BG 44K is the best. I have a friend who is a GM Service Manager. At a recent meeting he attended, a GM rep said based on tests by GM, BG 44K performed the best by far, except for GMs own brand of course...lol! The way I see it, if GM acknowledges someone elses product works, it has to be ok. I have also read on the next that BG 44K has similar ingredients to Techron, but at 3 times the strength )not sure if this is credible, but it sounds reasonable based on the price). Also, if you do an internet search on BG 44K, you will see a ton of new car dealers (many brands, domestic and import) who use it in their service shops, another testimonial.

quote:

hi,

thanks for any comments
bb

Yikes $22. You can run Amsoil PI as a preventative dose of 1-2 oz per 10 gallons. Initial dose if 6 oz per 10 gallons.

Retail price of the PI is $7.30 for a 16 oz bottle.

I haven't used the BG44, but I do have an account in El Paso that uses the Amsoil PI for cars that don't pass emmissions. They usually buy 20 cases at at time. According to them this is the best stuff for cleaning up deposits. Proof is in the emissions test!

I don't know if there is anything special about BG44, but I do know that is the fuel system cleaner they sell in the Toyota and Honda dealerships (at least locally). But that stuff sure is expensive!

I don't know how safe to use it is, but Berryman B12 will clean up plugged fuel injectors fast. It costs about 3 bucks a bottle.

According to what I have been able to find out, the Detroit automakers really like Chevron gasoline, because of that Techron additive. Seems to me you should be able to use Techron all the time if you wanted to, since the same chemical additive is in Chevron gas. Maybe it is more concentrated in the Techron product you can buy at stores. I would use Chevron gasoline if I could buy it locally.

But there is also Neutra from Schaeffer's and Fuel Power. Actually pretty cheap when you buy by the gallon.

I'd like to add that, though these cleaners do work, some of them can foul the spark plugs. Techron did ash-foul my spark plugs, and therefore I'll use it in the future only for the last tank and a half before I change the spark plugs (every 15k miles).

shocked.gif

that makes my worry
frown.gif

I need replace sparks every 30k ml only
now I have around 50k ml
so may be I need to wait until 60k ml - 500 ml
to run cleaning that then change spark, oil, fuel filters ... like that?
dunno.gif

tnx

Someone told me it depends on the particular engine if the fuel cleaner might foul the plugs. Probably it has to do with materials. My engine has an iron block and aluminium heads, which might cause some sort of reaction with the fuel cleaner and the spark plugs. My plugs looked horrible.

You could always use the fuel cleaner, then pull a spark plug and look at it. Maybe the plugs are due anyway.

Another thing is, you said you want to use the fuel cleaner as prenventive maintenance. Since you don't complain of any fuel-related problems, you may just want to add less cleaner to your fuel.

thank you all for inputs.

I'm newbee and at first don't want make any damages to my cars.
BG44K for profi - IMHO - may be I'll try it in the next 30k ml - who knows

I think I'll start with Techron - looks like it's the safest one - again IMHO. and doesn't require any oil / filters change after use.

tnx one more time for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back