G-Oil Shelf Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
I've seen consensus(and maybe non consensus) that motor oil shelf life is quite a long time, 10+ years. Given the nature of G-Oil derived from bacon/pig/cow or recycled whatever, what would G-Oils shelf life be in comparision, if any different? In contrast, i believe cooking oil spoils after a year or two at best.

Animal fats are broken down to esters in G-oil. I do not think it will "spoil" any sooner than regular oil. It is bio-degradable, but black jugs protect it from sunlight and oxygen. E-mail to GetG might be in order.

Last edited:
Mobil says 5 years for Mobil 1, even after opened. I would not think that this is any different regardless of the base stock.

Might be worth sending them an email to ask.

Does the oil molecule change?

My guess is the oil will last indefinitely. The additives may separate and settle to the bottom, and solvents may permeate the plastic bottle, but the oil should still be usable.

On the MSDS sheet it says that the product will biodegrade greater than or equal to 60% in 28 days. It must need UV or some other factor to start to biodegrade. They can't have an oil that only last 28 days. It would never make it to market.

email sent to G-Oil, would hate to know as I'm sure everyone else that we'd have to burn through our collective horde prematurely
smile.gif

Maybe we should store our G-Oil in the refrigerator between the packages of ground beef to keep it fresh?
lol.gif

I like this idea, but I am already on thin ice with wifey. I have too much oil, I am told. It's only 42 quarts.....enough for 2 years of oil changes on both vehicles...

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i believe cooking oil spoils after a year or two at best.

Yap, there is a reason we don't use them in crankcases.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i believe cooking oil spoils after a year or two at best.

Yap, there is a reason we don't use them in crankcases.

I have heard that archeologists have uncovered pots full of olive oil around the Mediterranean. I don't know if the oil was still good.

I have used Olive oil that was sealed in a metal container for 15 years. I didn't notice anything different.

Last edited:
I would imagine old cooking oil would still be useful to say, start a fire. cooking with it would probably be pretty nasty though.

wow quick response. you wont like it though.

Dear Mr X.,

We do ask for all oil to be used a year from the purchased date just to ensure the product will perform at its best. The oil itself will not begin to degrade in the bottle as well over this time period, the additives however begin to settle at the one year point.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

Thank you for contacting us at getG.com!

P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Well, additives in ANY oil will settle in a year. That's why I shake my oil bottles before using them.

They gave a non-answer answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back